• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361a - adjustable Speaker Stands

vocalisto

Attachments

• Zaor_ISO_Stand_MkII_-600_black_showroomaudio.jpg
    Zaor_ISO_Stand_MkII_-600_black_showroomaudio.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 426
OP
V

vocalisto

johnhopfensperger

Forum Donor
What color Genelec 8361? A lot of the stands seem to be pure black, but I don't have any idea if they match the pure black Genelecs. I've been wondering about this myself, in case I decide to buy a pair...

OP
V

vocalisto

What color Genelec 8361? A lot of the stands seem to be pure black, but I don't have any idea if they match the pure black Genelecs. I've been wondering about this myself, in case I decide to buy a pair...

I wanna get them in the white color. Black is also nice but white I think is more precious. But the stands don't have to be white necessarily

OP
V

vocalisto

People are re-purposing adjustable standing desk legs.

Edit: And you don't need those because you don't need to move your 8361s out of the way of your soffit-mounted main monitors. Or do you?

Why do you think I have some soffit-mounted main monitors? I just wanna get the 8361s as my Main Monitors and need some suitable speaker stands for. Maybe later I'll add the 7370 Sub too to complete this system.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These are what I used for the 8260 monitors. They are the same size as the 8361 and share a rubber IsoPod that attaches very securely to the stand plates.

Sometimes you can find them used for cheaper, I imported some demo ones from another country and was able to get the stands for a couple hundred cheaper for the pair.

Very heavy, only issue potentially is if you need them to be very low, the lowest setting is not very low. That being said, you can simply tilt the speakers down a little which may also help with ceiling reflections.

I can fit power, 2x XLR cables, and 2x ethernet cables through the cable routing inner column without issues.

Stand Plate
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/709582-REG/Genelec_8260_450B_8260_450B_Stand_Plate_for.html

Adjustable Stand:
https://www.frontendaudio.com/genelec-s360-415b-floor-stand

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought the K&M 26795 stands (buying from Thomann gave a much better price than domestic dealers in my case) along with a stand plate from Genelec. It works well, and is rated up to 70kg load which matches the 8361A.

The only thing less than optimal about the K&M 26795 is that it requires the stand plate, which not only is an extra nontrivial cost but makes it look a bit less clean. It also still is a system where the Genelec iso-pod feet sit on top of the stand via gravity and peg holes, rather than actually being physically secured via screws.

The K&M 29785 aka Genelec 8000-400 Design Stand in contrast is designed specifically to mount to the Genelec in a way that replaces the iso-pod feet, and allows the Genelec speaker to be rigidly secured via screws in the rear, such that you can never accidentally knock the Genelec speaker off the stand (which is not the case for the stand plate approach, unless you use glue or blu-tack). Edit: However I don’t know if it works for the 8361 — it explicitly lists the 8351 as compatible but doesn’t mention the 8361.

I would advise against any standard speaker stands with a flat top plate. Given the Genelec Ones smooth curves and iso-pods, it just looks really weird and kludgey for these beautiful sculpted speakers to be sitting on little flat square shelves.

Last edited:

ethanhallbeyer

I bought the K&M 26795 stands (buying from Thomann gave a much better price than domestic dealers in my case) along with a stand plate from Genelec. It works well, and is rated up to 70kg load which matches the 8361A.

The only thing less than optimal about the K&M 26795 is that it requires the stand plate, which not only is an extra nontrivial cost but makes it look a bit less clean. It also still is a system where the Genelec iso-pod feet sit on top of the stand via gravity and peg holes, rather than actually being physically secured via screws.

The K&M 29785 aka Genelec 8000-400 Design Stand in contrast is designed specifically to mount to the Genelec in a way that replaces the iso-pod feet, and allows the Genelec speaker to be rigidly secured via screws in the rear, such that you can never accidentally knock the Genelec speaker off the stand (which is not the case for the stand plate approach, unless you use glue or blu-tack). Edit: However I don’t know if it works for the 8361 — it explicitly lists the 8351 as compatible but doesn’t mention the 8361.

I would advise against any standard speaker stands with a flat top plate. Given the Genelec Ones smooth curves and iso-pods, it just looks really weird and kludgey for these beautiful sculpted speakers to be sitting on little flat square shelves.
Do you think the K&M with 8361A would topple over in a moderate earthquake?

MAB

Major Contributor
Do you think the K&M with 8361A would topple over in a moderate earthquake?
The The K&M 29785 aka Genelec 8000-400 Design Stand that echopraxia mentions do not work with the 8361A. If you want to floor-stand your 8361A, you need the K&M 26795. I would contact Genelec just in case, I had the same question echopraxia had and Genelec representative set me straight.

Speakers on stands are risk, no matter what. Wall mount and ceiling mounts are available for the 8361A but you may not be able to go that route! I have a pair of safety cables per speaker to prevent damage when I stumble around and knock them over... In my space, that works great.

I can tell you don't want one of these Genelec monitors to hit the floor. They are denser than a neutron star.

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The The K&M 29785 aka Genelec 8000-400 Design Stand that echopraxia mentions do not work with the 8361A. If you want to floor-stand your 8361A, you need the K&M 26795. I would contact Genelec just in case, I had the same question echopraxia had and Genelec representative set me straight.

Speakers on stands are risk, no matter what. Wall mount and ceiling mounts are available for the 8361A but you may not be able to go that route! I have a pair of safety cables per speaker to prevent damage when I stumble around and knock them over... In my space, that works great.

I can tell you don't want one of these Genelec monitors to hit the floor. They are denser than a neutron star.
The 26795 stands work quite nicely and are very stable. I went through this a few months ago:

MAB

Major Contributor
The 26795 stands work quite nicely and are very stable. I went through this a few months ago:

emme

i will try the K&m 26791 with my 8361 , does anybody know a good source for the genelec mounting plate ? the prices here in the usa seem to be pretty outrageous .

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i will try the K&m 26791 with my 8361 , does anybody know a good source for the genelec mounting plate ? the prices here in the usa seem to be pretty outrageous .
Call Genelec in Natick MA and they should be able to put you in touch with a distributor, or sometimes I think their office there or a distributor in California has some.

I checked a year ago and they had two available, they are 150 bucks a piece, the price may have gone up since then.

emme

Call Genelec in Natick MA and they should be able to put you in touch with a distributor, or sometimes I think their office there or a distributor in California has some.

I checked a year ago and they had two available, they are 150 bucks a piece, the price may have gone up since then.
i was hoping to find them cheaper somewhere else ,they sell for $61 ea in europe , why the $98 markup ?

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i was hoping to find them cheaper somewhere else ,they sell for $61 ea in europe , why the $98 markup ?

Not sure. Genelec is simply expensive in the US. With the speakers and subwoofers being thousands, I guess the stand plate wasn't something I waited for a deal on.

I did find some used stands though that I got from someone in Canada. Saved a few hundred there.

I wonder if they make more profit this way or if they would make more with European prices and an even larger amount sold that could offset the lowered margins in the US.

Right now I'm having a hard time justifying a Genelec center channel over waiting for the HTP1 to come back in stock and using DIRAC with my Kali/Genelec system instead of GLM.

Top Bottom