• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8341A spinorama and measurements

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Had my go at the Genelec 8341A today. Just posting the spin for now, as there's nothing you're gonna get from me that you don't from Amir's measurements. Behold:

8341 Spin.png

VituixCAD doesn't quite get the off-axis low bass right, but eh, close enough!

Compared to amir's results:

8341 Spin v ASR.png

So yeah, pretty good speaker I'd say.

OP
N

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't think this one needs any EQing, but what the heck

@pierre and @Maiky76

this speaker is probably at the limit of the accuracy of my measurement setup, so EQing based on this might not be a great idea. Still, I'm a little curious.

okay, i'm done bothering you now

Attachments

• 8341A.zip
    73.1 KB · Views: 82

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Napi! Thanks for the measurements.

You don't have the slight peaking at 1,5 kHz that Amir found. But the bump around 400-500 Hz is more pronounced.

How does it sound? Does it go loud enough?

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

@pierre and @Maiky76

this speaker is probably at the limit of the accuracy of my measurement setup, so EQing based on this might not be a great idea. Still, I'm a little curious.

Could you also provide the SPL horizontal and SPL vertical data?
I already have an EQ for this Genelec. Do you want to see one for your measurement? It should not be very different.

Sidenote: could you also give us the data for the other speakers (Focal Solo etc?). That's for my collection :)

Last edited:

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
I am gonna go out on a limb and say your measurements trace closer to Genelec's own than Amir's do.

8341_tone_controls.png

OP
N

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am gonna go out on a limb and say your measurements trace closer to Genelec's own than Amir's do.

View attachment 130933

Well, splitting hairs really!
splittin.png

Mine shows more energy in the low mids, amirs has that little bump in the mids.

One thing I've noticed (or at least I think so, as I've not investigated in depth) is that highly curved baffles are more sensitive to speaker stands and positioning on them than rectangular speakers. In this case I measured the Genelec on its included isopod stands, but that causes a bit of a gap between the speaker and the stand that I think introduces a few small reflections. I don't think I saved those measurements, but during the initial setup I did think I saw small variations in the mids depending on how I positioned it in on the stand. I found a similar thing with the Devialet Phantom Reactor, which showed a rather noticeable dip

I wonder if it's because the curved baffle just acts like one big waveguide and then the sound gets 'interrupted' by a flat surface like a stand. We saw with @hardisj's measurement of the KEF R3 how some very small changes can make noticeable differences to the frequency response. In this case I don't imagine it's particularly audible,but it could be intersting to investigate further.

At some point I plan on getting a few different speaker stands and measuring the effect they have on the frequency response. Can't be very high resolution data due to the limitations of the quasi-anechoic method, but I am beginning to think that different stands can affect a speaker's sound a small amount for more than just speaker height.

OP
N

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could you also provide the SPL horizontal and SPL vertical data?
I already have an EQ for this Genelec. Do you want to see one for your measurement? It should not be very different.

Sidenote: could you also give us the data for the other speakers (Focal Solo etc?). That's for my collection :)

@pierre actually if you don't mind, I'd appreciate it if you could give me the score; I'm curious to see how much the deviations in my measurements from Amirs affect the score. I know LFX uses sound power and the LW for example.

In amirs measurements the SP bass rises above the LW while in mine it is below; this is likely because VCAD tried to estimate the off-axis directivity, but sometimes it doesn't guess right if there is not enough directivity information. In general rear-ported speakers tend to have more bass in the sound power.

pierre

Forum Donor
@pierre actually if you don't mind, I'd appreciate it if you could give me the score; I'm curious to see how much the deviations in my measurements from Amirs affect the score. I know LFX uses sound power and the LW for example.

In amirs measurements the SP bass rises above the LW while in mine it is below; this is likely because VCAD tried to estimate the off-axis directivity, but sometimes it doesn't guess right if there is not enough directivity information. In general rear-ported speakers tend to have more bass in the sound power.

6.5. You can get the breakdown in my Scores table. I tried to build a model to be able to adapt the score depending on the quality of the measurement but no success so far.

OP
N

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
6.5. You can get the breakdown in my Scores table. I tried to build a model to be able to adapt the score depending on the quality of the measurement but no success so far.

Thank you! Not as far off as I expected. I see the HDI--1600 also scored extremely similar to Amir's. Hopefully we'll see how they relate more as I build up a bigger overlap of speakers with Amir and Erin over time.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

YSC

Major Contributor

@pierre and @Maiky76

thanks for another measurement confirming their performance, I am thinking I will be more interested in the LP measurement of in room repsponse and how the GLM ended up tackling them, since Genelec is flat anechoically is not news, more real life scenarios would be interesting

Sparky

Forum Donor

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I sincerely thought myself all set to get a new set of speakers... Then @napilopez had to write such a good review ... And now I am again re-thinking my previous positions ...
These speakers in my relatively small room + multiple subs and proper DSP ...would be endgame.

Come one Man @napilopez ! Not cool :(

:D Great reviews and great explanations!

Top Bottom