• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

YSC

Major Contributor
I would say wait for your other speaker arrives and compare them if nothing sounds outrageous it’s probably fine, if the chassis didn’t even scratch or dent I bet the speaker during shipping would sustain a lot more similar abuse by our beloved delivery services

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Screenshot_20201210-131637.jpg
Screenshot_20201210-131619.jpg

Is the 8040B worth the price difference over the 8030C?
I wish Genelec would finally release an 8040C and 8050C

YSC

Major Contributor
View attachment 98345View attachment 98346
Is the 8040B worth the price difference over the 8030C?
I wish Genelec would finally release an 8040C and 8050C
Seems to me the 8030 is the flattest of the whole line, but others are worse in a way not noticeable except the 8010. Either way I feel it all depends can you get a subwoofer for the low end, if not then go for 8040 or 8050 is a good option IMO, the revision doesn’t make significant improvements worth the wait

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi,

So, I received one 8030C this morning (the other is coming tomorrow) and the first thing I did was to drop it from 50cm high on my wooden floor. :eek:
The thing is so heavy (8 kg) and sturdy for its size that I hope there won't be any problem. Actually I can't see any notch on it, and the sound out of the box is excellent. My floor has been damaged a bit (or perhaps the small marks were there before, hard to say).
Do you thing the mechanic parts inside can have suffered?

Don't worry, we Finns know how to design stuff that doesn't break... :)

1607600987222.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't worry, we Finns know how to design stuff that doesn't break... :)

View attachment 98347
Hehehe. I dropped that Nokia a couple of times and it continued to work faithfully. When I replaced it with a Palm Treo 650 I sold it online and it took a afternoon and it was gone. Very fast sell. The buyer was veryyy happy to get it. :D

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I played with that generator and couldn't detect any problem.

Now playing some piano sonatas that I used to listen to with the JBL 305p. I can't hear any resonnances whereas I could with the JBL and, at the time, didn't how if I had to attribuate them to the speakers or the recording.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I played with that generator and couldn't detect any problem.

Now playing some piano sonatas that I used to listen to with the JBL 305p. I can't hear any resonnances whereas I could with the JBL and, at the time, didn't how if I had to attribuate them to the speakers or the recording.
The tone generator frequency sweep find most all issues pretty quickly. So looks like your good.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The tone generator frequency sweep find most all issues pretty quickly. So looks like your good.

If the driver moved inside the box, distortion could also increase I think. What I don't know is if it was likely to happen.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If the driver moved inside the box, distortion could also increase I think. What I don't know is if it was likely to happen.
The worst I've seen is a bent basket assembly but that was obviously a really hard fall and a crappy punched out basket frame that was not very strong. A frequency sweep would pick that up pretty fast is the form of the voice coil rattling at high excursion or the spider making noise. Other than that the construction of the 8030C is so good that I doubt the frame of the woofer would shift in the mounting at the cast cabinet.

EDIT: ...and the woofers have cast basket assemblies.

YSC

Major Contributor
The inside should look like this:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/genelec-on-audio-science.3110/post-155247
Is there anything susceptible of moving and cause a resonnance?
I don't think such a small drop can damage anything inside, you can see the PCB etc. are light, so the drop likely won't exert excessive force to break the screws, and the tweeter are secured with a thick plate with 2 screws, while the woofer is mounted by a spring like structure screwed into the housing, it looks like unless your drop can at least chip off some of your paint or your speaker is likely good

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If in doubt if you can open it without voiding your warranty do a inspection yourself. It's not rocket science but those screws might be torqued in and require a good twist to get them loose.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If in doubt if you can open it without voiding your warranty do a inspection yourself. It's not rocket science but those screws might be torqued in and require a good twist to get them loose.
I don't think I'll do that. The drop proves I have two left hands and can only worsen the situation. Moreover, it would void the warranty.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think I'll do that. The drop proves I have two left hands and can only worsen the situation. Moreover, it would void the warranty.
After you connect your 2nd speaker you'll know that everything works good.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After you connect your 2nd speaker you'll know that everything works good.

Yes. With both speakers I could perhaps run & record a sweep with REW and also check distortion levels.
But the less I move the speakers, the less likely they'll fall again. :p

The shape & the material makes it a bit difficult to manipulate the speaker with confidence. I'm more used to square speakers made of wood or plastic.

Reactions: mkt

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. We the second speaker I could perhaps run & record a sweep with REW and also check distortion levels.
But the less I move the speakers, the less likely they'll fall again. :p

The shape & the material makes it a bit difficult to manipulate the speaker with confidence. I'm more used to square speakers made of wood or plastic.
Yeah, I figured those rounded corners and contoured cabinets would be a bit slippery compared to sharp corners to hold onto. It happens.

YSC

Major Contributor
Yeah, I figured those rounded corners and contoured cabinets would be a bit slippery compared to sharp corners to hold onto. It happens.
yea, when I do move them since I acquire for playing around with the dip switches to try what I prefer best, I kind of like to hold it with one hand inside the port, and the other supporting the base of it, it feels most secured

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How do they sound compared to the JBL's? :)

A lot better. Smoother (there is a lot of treble but it is smoother), midrange is clearer, bass is tighter and I can't hear any resonnance for the moment. I only have one 8030C for the moment so can't comment on imaging. The second will come tomorrow.

I can be biased by the look & price of course.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Once you realise how solid the grills are, you'll start carrying them under your arm like a sack of potatoes. By the way, they're 5 kg, not 8.

Top Bottom