• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 7060B Amplifier Replacement

syzygetic

So I’ve bought a 7060B for a small office system with DBR62 for main speakers, driven by a pair of Hypex NC400 monoblocks.

I’m going to integrate it with the DBR62 using the built in adjustable gain and crossover, but I don’t anticipate needing any other features of the sub, I bought it at a good deal, and it seems a quality product for the price (I paid $300).

The question I’d like to pose to this talented crowd, though:

I would prefer a Class D amplifier in this sub, and maybe one with higher power. I’m handy with electronic builds, so this is not a skills issue, but from an integration perspective, does anyone see a problem with me replacing the 120w Class AB unit with, say, a 250w or 500w UcD unit? Surely the Peerless cone could handle it, and I could probably use the gain control to compensate for any change in level.

is this a terrible idea?

Top Bottom