• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

gear that converts 2 channel stereo, to 3 channel (or more) ?

Mr. Speakers

I use a McCormack MAP-1 analog preampflier, for music playback (no movies/home theater). It can be used as 2-channel preamp, but can also convert stereo input, to 3.1 or 5.1. This is done in analog, no digital processing. I enjoy the effect of creating a center channel for music. Other gear that does some form of this, in either digital or analog domains include:

• Conrad & Johnson MET-1 preamp. (this is the hot rod/ tubed version of the aforementioned McCormack)
  • SST Trinaural Processor
  • Meridian Tripath
  • countless AVR's, preamp-processors etc. that use Dolby iterations

So here's my questions:

Does anyone have personal experience with the above units? If so, do you have any comments, comparisons, or feedback to offer? What other preamps or gear are out there, that can perform some version of this? and so on....

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I've used all but the CJ. Of them, I'd go with an AVR/PrePro and DD/dts/Auro as the easiest and most effective way...... from that list.

OTOH, my choice is to use file file playback via JRiver.

OP
M

Mr. Speakers

Kal are there any particular PrePros that you've used, that stuck out or you recommend one way or the other? Build quality, ease of use, overall sound quality etc.? For example I've heard the Bryston's are nice, but I've never used.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Kal are there any particular PrePros that you've used, that stuck out or you recommend one way or the other? Build quality, ease of use, overall sound quality etc.? For example I've heard the Bryston's are nice, but I've never used.
All my stuff is at https://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round. There are only three I would single out.
1. Bryston SP3 (excellent basic audio, a bit outdated)
2. Trinnov Altitude (excellent in everything but expensive)
3. Marantz AV8805 (reliable, affordable) This is what I use for my weekend system.

Let me add that I also have a Parasound P7 preamp. No digital but multichannel and with bass management.

Top Bottom