• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi v3 Mono | TPA3255 PFFB | Balanced | [First Look from Fosi FB]

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i think we know that a normal stereo tpa3255 has something like 70-90w

one might ask how a dual box, dual 48v 5a psu setup you will put up with to achieve maybe 130w in mono? at best? we are not expecting a heap more

and i dont like the idea of such a messy setup

wait for what fosi does in response to the A70

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping amplifiers be like…….

View attachment 358550
:oops:
Topping still has a bunch of nice products, i don't think they are scared at all. Also the markets (Asia, Europe, North America) are large enough to soak up Topping and Fosi (and all the other stuff).

I really can't say anything so far about this Fosi device, i would need to know the price. SINAD 100 and load independent? Great, but you need to know the cost and consider that you need two of those for a basic system.

As far as i can tell from the pics, it seems pretty complete. On/off/auto, 31dB/28dB gain, RCA and XLR input. What else do you need in a mono block?

daniboun

Major Contributor
Topping still has a bunch of nice products, i don't think they are scared at all. Also the markets (Asia, Europe, North America) are large enough to soak up Topping and Fosi (and all the other stuff).

I really can't say anything so far about this Fosi device, i would need to know the price. SINAD 100 and load independent? Great, but you need to know the cost and consider that you need two of those for a basic system.

As far as i can tell from the pics, it seems pretty complete. On/off/auto, 31dB/28dB gain, RCA and XLR input. What else do you need in a mono block?

Just proposing a mono amp it is part of marketing.... What a pity not to see a Stereo amp

daniboun

Major Contributor
Both the V3 and the ZA3 are stereo, I understand. Mono has been loudly requested by many users.

As said in my previous post Mono PBTL TPA3255 do not bring a lot VS BTL Stereo.... Except for 2R loads

sarieri

Forum Donor
At least in China, Fosi has no chance at all. Topping’s RA3 kills all kinds of variants of PFFB TPA325X. And if it ever blows up on its own, it takes 3 days for them to fix it (I also believe they swapped all new RA3s with new Volume module so they’re not gonna blow up anymore).

daniboun

Major Contributor
At least in China, Fosi has no chance at all. Topping’s RA3 kills all kinds of variants of PFFB TPA325X. And if it ever blows up on its own, it takes 3 days for them to fix it (I also believe they swapped all new RA3s with new Volume module so they’re not gonna blow up anymore).

RA3 is based on the TPA3251. Could hardly compare it to this Fosi TPA3255.

The new Sylph FB100 is better than the RA3. Same chip with advanced PFFB
Check pre measurements )

@5W/4R > we break the barrier of -106db Sinad

OP
Guddu

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Topping still has a bunch of nice products, i don't think they are scared at all.
I have my total trust in them, I own a few of their DACs and an amplifier after all

OP
Guddu

Guddu

Just proposing a mono amp it is part of marketing.... What a pity not to see a Stereo amp
Fosi will surely come up with stereo PFFB topology.
Mono may not get a consideration from ‘available power output @watts’ prospective, but I think it is still cleaner approach for ‘mono’ requirements (if anyone wants) than stereo/mono switch.

By the way, there may be another PFFB stereo contender soon with remote, display, tone control, bypass options for volume as well as to tone, sub out, etc. in a very decent looking case. I will start another thread for that soon

OP
Guddu

Guddu

I never found it on their website, anyone knows why?
Probably because it isn’t globally available or something?

OP
Guddu

Guddu

Check pre measurements )

It’s a shame that these modules are limited to DIY audience.

daniboun

Major Contributor
It’s a shame that these modules are limited to DIY audience.

Different market, different product, different target )

MCH

Major Contributor
I never found it on their website, anyone knows why?
Probably because it isn’t globally available or something?
Topping said here in the forum they will be selling them only through their aliexpress store (and indeed it is available to me in aliexpress as of today).

What for me reads that not even themselves are confident on its reliability and put it at the customer's own risk when they import it. I personally am not going to promote this business practice with my money, no matter how good and cheap it is.

sarieri

Forum Donor

Check pre measurements )

That’s barely better. RA3 has a higher gain so you cant compare numbers directly. Also, RA3 is priced at $229 including a relay R2R volume control and a oled screen which is unique to its kind. Even if it gets 1-2dB higher at max volume, it will be surpassed easily at low volume.

daniboun

Major Contributor
That’s barely better. RA3 has a higher gain so you cant compare numbers directly. Also, RA3 is priced at $229 including a relay R2R volume control and a oled screen which is unique to its kind. Even if it gets 1-2dB higher at max volume, it will be surpassed easily at low volume.

Let s wait for the ASR review for the FB100 )
Don t get me wrong Topping RA3 = 319 euros + 91e shipping + VAT = more than 400 euros

Last edited:

sarieri

Forum Donor
Let s wait for the ASR review for the FB100 )
Don t get me wrong Topping RA3 = 319 euros + 91e shipping + VAT = more than 400 euros

I don't know how things are priced in Europe but I clicked the link and it shows $269+$40 shipping.
Still hard for Fosi to beat neverminding the fact that this is already a completed Amp with R2R volume control and OLED screen.

Even in China it cost at least $100 to throw in a decent R2R volume control+OLED screen, $70 for decent PSU. And you just can't get a nice case with printed scripts if you choose to DIY. A module sold for more than $100 is most likely out of competition here (RA3 is sold at $229 here).

Negatywny

dudes, this looks sweet.

I've been thinking about selling my fancy, expensive amplifier for a long time (although my heart is hurting a bit) and the v3 mono looks like the perfect moment (I was previously thinking about topping the PA5 II) and therefore three questions:
- When can we expect the release of v3 mono? Was there any info?
- I would like to combine the v3 mono with the E50 topping, I understand that the volume control is then done in the topping - are there any quality losses due to the fact that the DAC will not play at full power?
- I would also like to connect a turntable and a tuner, so I understand that I need a preamplifier? Do you recommend something reasonable at a good price (so far I have not been interested in preamplifiers at all)?

sarieri

Forum Donor
are there any quality losses due to the fact that the DAC will not play at full power?
Yes, with digital volume you lose 1dB DR everytime you dial down 1dB volume. With analog volume, you lose less than 1dB. That’s why I was talking about RA3’s R2R volume.

Top Bottom