• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 97 20.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 370 76.3%

• Total voters

AndyLu

Forum Donor
ABX Audiophiles. Not my cup of tea. But I add it here for completeness. Not a bad review (if you can call it that) based only on subjective opinions. Make of it what you want:

Last edited:

rgruber

ABX Audiophiles. Not my cup of tea. But I add it here for completeness. Not a bad review (if you can call it that) based only on subjective opinions. Make of it what you want:

I like his series on building open baffle speakers but this review seems based on his preconceived notions and phoned in. Like he had to do it because everyone else has one up but he didn’t really want to and didn’t put much effort into it.

iLoveCats

He's got a point, the balanced in on these budget amps doesn't match up with what's out there for budget preamps. I agree, its good if you already have the preamp and just want the monoblock form factor. That's exactly what I'm doing. I have a Topping Pre90 and a D90 and I'm swapping these in for the form factor. The guy sounds exhausted honestly. Probably just tired of the neverending variations in these budget amps.

Psinet

For anyone wondering, these "10 amp" power supplies are actually just 6.25 amp (300W).

I googled the model number. So running 2 on the one power supply is less power than running two on 2x 48v 5A power supplies.

Williston Audio Labs just uploaded a video of him dyno testing them, and the power supply cannot provide enough power when split in two. He got higher numbers running a single mono on the "10A" (6.25A) power supply (370W at 1% distortion at 2 Ohm!!!!!).

Last edited:

SMen

For anyone wondering, these "10 amp" power supplies are actually just 6.25 amp (300W).

I googled the model number. So running 2 on the one power supply is less power than running two on 2x 48v 5A power supplies.
I think that this is the model number from an image - so I tried googling it too . Interesting!

HKA30048063-7D - the thing is that these say "48V 6.25A" on the units, while the Fosi variation is printed 10A(max) !

Did Williston Audio Labs actually give a power rating for the power supply in the video? I can only see the measurements through the amplifiers as you pointed out.

Last edited:

Psinet

I think that this is the model number from an image - so I tried googling it too . Interesting!

HKA30048063-7D - the thing is that these say "48V 6.25A" on the units, while the Fosi variation is printed 10A(max) !

Did Williston Audio Labs actually give a power rating for the power supply in the video? I can only see the measurements through the amplifiers as you pointed out.
Yes, they are nowhere NEAR 10A power supplies. Big D just repeats what the Fosi supplied ones say.

The model number where it says "48063" denotes it as a 48v 6.3A power supply. I would be surprised if it could reach 7 amp for more than a few milliseconds.

Negatywny

ABX Audiophiles. Not my cup of tea.
yeah, i thought, uuu an abx audiophile, looks like some objective testing will be played, but NO, just old superstition gibberish ;)

On the other hand almost all reviews of fosi v3 monos are casually done, like they got 10$ to do it and call it a day. Imagined this reviewers would be more meticulate with such interesting product, but looks like they don't really care.

The model number where it says "48063" denotes it as a 48v 6.3A power supply. I would be surprised if it could reach 7 amp for more than a few milliseconds.

expectable, so i took two power supplies, more is always better ;)

Also we made it to the final goal:

1714375188904.png

Last edited:

SMen

Yes, they are nowhere NEAR 10A power supplies. Big D just repeats what the Fosi supplied ones say.

Still, the tests don't fall too too short with the 48v '10A'

In Williston Audio test he gets
116 and 111 watts into 8ohm at 1%
224 and 217 watts into 4ohm at 1%

while the Fosi kickstarter claims 120 and 240 watts respectively with a single 48v/5A
So a bit short. I wonder what the 'theoretical' power tests would be with a shared 48v 6.3A supply : would they be this close?

I'm not so keen on the 10A max claim on the power supply though, without this being explained, and this might explain Big D thinking it's limited in some way.

Psinet

Still, the tests don't fall too too short with the 48v '10A'

In Williston Audio test he gets
116 and 111 watts into 8ohm at 1%
224 and 217 watts into 4ohm at 1%

while the Fosi kickstarter claims 120 and 240 watts respectively with a single 48v/5A
So a bit short. I wonder what the 'theoretical' power tests would be with a shared 48v 6.3A supply : would they be this close?

I'm not so keen on the 10A max claim on the power supply though, without this being explained, and this might explain Big D thinking it's limited in some way.
Might be best to get a "10" amp for each mono for loud, low ohm usage.

amix

Why do you need so many inputs?
Because not everybody has been born after the 1990's and may have devices, they use? For me, that would be my Nakamichi tape deck, my Rotel phono player, my SACD player, which I may or may not want to connect to the external DAC, the external DAC. And who knows what the future holds?

A proper preamplifier is the controller to your system. Source, tone and volume.

gwing

Forum Donor
Why do you need so many inputs? I think Fosi Audio V3 MONO is a power amplifier which is used with a preamplifier.
Because I have more than two devices. However we are talking about the number of connections available to a pre-amp or input swicher before the monoblocks, I agree the monoblocks themselves only need, in principle, one input although having both RCA and balanced is appreciated.

amix

Williston Audio Labs just uploaded a video of him dyno testing them
All the negatives he lists, besides the high input voltage, are no negatives for me (I ordered two of the 10A PSUs).
And the enthusiasm in his voice makes me believe I've done a very good deal. :cool:

Kimbrough Xu

Because not everybody has been born after the 1990's and may have devices, they use? For me, that would be my Nakamichi tape deck, my Rotel phono player, my SACD player, which I may or may not want to connect to the external DAC, the external DAC. And who knows what the future holds?

A proper preamplifier is the controller to your system. Source, tone and volume.
Where are your devices placed?

In your living room? Beside your TV?

sl1982

In addons there is now a GaN 10A power supply you can add. Any information on this power supply?

drmevo

This is disappointing if true, but I'm going to wait for Fosi's response before trying to change my KS reward. I don't plan on placing the monoblocks right next to my speakers so I was fine with a splitter if the single PSU had identical performance, but if it doesn't, I'll definitely want the two 5A power supplies. I don't really want to shell out another $100 for a second 10A power supply.

It seems strange that no one else has come across this discrepancy yet - seems like it would be an important part of the measurements?

SMen

This is disappointing if true, but I'm going to wait for Fosi's response before trying to change my KS reward. I don't plan on placing the monoblocks right next to my speakers so I was fine with a splitter if the single PSU had identical performance, but if it doesn't, I'll definitely want the two 5A power supplies. I don't really want to shell out another $100 for a second 10A power supply.

It seems strange that no one else has come across this discrepancy yet - seems like it would be an important part of the measurements?
The Fosi power supplies do seem expensive compared to Aiyima's GaNs, but equally if the innards are closer to 10A than 6.3A we ought to know if the Fosi model is modified or more highly specified in some way than the ones @Psinet referred to. I don't have 2 ohm speakers that is for sure! But it's the principle.

It's probably a pain, but if these power supplies are going be supplied as separate products it would indeed be useful to know / verify the measurements I agree.

Top Bottom