• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

For those of you that are around 50 YO and over - do you think about death?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I am wondering if I should learn snowboarding.

My immediate memory of Snowboarders is me skiing off the lift at Heavenly in Tahoe and slaloming through all of them sprawled like crabs flopping around on their backs on the snow just trying to get started. The ones that got up couldn't get any forward motion on the gentle slope up there, and would fall again. Repeat. There might have been 30 of them one day.

I'll presume they weren't the experts, but then, neither was I.

I took up skiing three years ago and after a few practice days I headed to the Dolomites.

I learned to ski in Big Bear, $6 for lift and basic gear from 3 to 10pm.

Spent about an hour on the bunny slope, another beginner joined me, we decided we were ready and got on the big lift, seeing there were two intermediate stops on the way to the top of the mountain.

To our dismay, the intermediate stops weren't in use, so we went all the way up. Oh crap.

Took us an hour to get down. At the end of my stay, that hour became about 3 minutes.

I was installing gear at the Telco in Big Bear, went skiing most every day for about 6 weeks while "waiting for software". It was a good time.

Last edited:

Destination: Moon

Snowboarding has a much easier learning curve. One can approach more difficult slopes within months instead of years of skiing. I am a expert advanced all-mountain skier starting from the age of ~3 so I can ski and I've tried snowboarding and it was way easier.
I feel very bad for you. Friends of mine who I love and are aethiests are some of the most miserable/sorrowful/ I’m not sure how to describe them but it’s not good, people I know. Life is precious. Sleep is precious. Death can be precious. Or all of these events can be feared. It’s up to you. I suggest you look at life sleep and death as gifts we do not understand, we will not understand, and thank the giver of these mysterious gifts.

I'm an atheist too. Never saw one iota of evidence that there is any intelligent creation that's compassionately affecting the planet. I've seen plenty of evidence to the contrary every single day.

That said, I understand your point. I've seen people of faith suffer astounding tragic loss and almost be almost immune to the sorrow or sadness I know I'd feel, in similar circumstance. In some ways it makes me jealous.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm attracted to the notion of gods being embodied in the natural world around us, which I suppose is vaguely Shinto. But as far as having a God of my very own as a sort of concierge, I can't see why I'd merit one and why dogs, squirrels and gingko trees would be excluded.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well as far as dying goes, not sure it has anything to do with age per say. Everyone thinks about it, young or old, but one should try not to dwell on it.
When it comes to age vs health, some things are bound to just eventually get us, it is just a matter of time. The older we get, our bodies simply stop producing regenerating cells at the same magnitude as when we were younger.

I was in perfect health and fitness till the age of 52. Then things just hit me like a rock. Hell i've had 13 surgeries in the last 3 yrs and and have 3 or 4 more i need and just keep putting them off. My 82 yr old mother lives with me, so it's kind of hard to be out of commission for even a few days at a time. She requires constant care and looking over. I did not put my grandmother in a home and i don't plan on putting her in a home either.

When it comes to the religious or spiritual aspect of it all, this is where things get tricky. I believe there are good arguments on both sides of the topic. And i could go on and on supporting both point of views, however it would take to long and probably not the appropriate place to do so.

If one had to boil it down to a quick and simple thought, I guess you could look at it this way. We take out insurance for our home, cars and what not. Not because we know something bad is going to happen, but as a just in case something does happen. We know we are going to die at some point in time, that is just a know given fact. So why in turn would one not want to take out insurance on his soul (if there is one).
I don't feel as one has to be a bible thumber or anything like that, rather just believing in good over evil, right vs wrong. Doing what one can to help others and society in general. Standing up for your principals, no matter what consequences you may endure. I think you will go to your grave in peace if you know you led a good life and did what you could do to help others and society in general. Having a conscious is a Good thing, it can be stressful, but it also the thing that keeps you always wanting to do better and asking what it.

So don't stress to much EB1000, live your life while you can. Cheers my friend

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sometimes I've wondered if the path to living a virtuous life really does boil down to this:
100.webp

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Its useless to think the inevitable
Maybe it isn’t, a proportionate sense of our own mortality can provide impetus for the living of a good life. After all, who would knowingly spend their final day worrying feeling down trodden because they chose a satin finish rather than matt for the living room, or in my case, because they didn’t spend a few more pounds on the rme adi with the built in adc? :facepalm:

sotiridaf

Maybe it isn’t, a proportionate sense of our own mortality can provide impetus for the living of a good life. After all, who would knowingly spend their final day worrying feeling down trodden because they chose a satin finish rather than matt for the living room, or in my case, because they didn’t spend a few more pounds on the rme adi with the built in adc? :facepalm:

Thinking about death will no make you better person. Its totally useless... Its better thinking about life before death.

sotiridaf

Also thinking about death , is thinking about that someday you will disappear like never existed. So i dont see a reason to be better in life due to this. On the contrary , some people might become depressed and anxious and lose the focus to life

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Also thinking about death , is thinking about that someday you will disappear like never existed. So i dont see a reason to be better in life due to this. On the contrary , some people might become depressed and anxious and lose the focus to life

Because the things one does while alive simply do not "disappear" after they die.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thinking about death will no make you better person. Its totally useless... Its better thinking about life before death.

You may find this interesting. The first 10 minutes fairly well sums up what I think is a very compelling way of understanding death:

https://samharris.org/podcasts/the-lessons-of-death/

I’m conscious of forum rules, so I’d emphasise that the focus of the. discussion is secular, even though one of the people involved is a Buddhist.

Tks

Major Contributor
I only eat low carb raw vegan food, which taste like cr@p.

Don't do this, as a vegan, this is the sort of nonsense that makes vegans look like morons. Carbs especially are the most readily used energy source for powering bodily metabolism. Also raw vegan food is even more idiotic, there's no basis that this increases nutritional yield (it's actually worse, as digesting raw food isn't trivial, and leads to less caloric and nutritional uptake).

The only thing you really want to watch out (seeing as you speak English, I assume you live in the US or UK) is to avoid high lipid content, and make sure you get the vitamins and minerals you need (can be confirmed with blood tests). Heart disease related risks in these two nations is sky high. Avoiding saturated fats and cholesterol have shown to at least halt any atherosclerotic progression. Also keep sodium intake as low as you can. Even the sliced bread I eat has a ton of sodium, even though I can barely taste any salt.

To make things worse, I'm an agnostic atheist, so I'm unable to assure my self that I'll be going to a better place. The way I see it, when you die, you "feel" exactly the same as you felt in the 1800's...

Well if you see it like that, then the inability to assure yourself of something no one can prove is simply a logic lapse you need to get to grips with.

sometimes I can't even fall asleep because I'm scared that I won't wake up in the morning (my doctor says that I have death anxiety and he proscribed me some Xanax, which I decided not to take after I read the possible side effects...)

Well, you've done some weighing of risks, though by the sound of things, xanax would be prudent seeing as how your anxiety sounds crippling.

How do you deal with this sad fact of life? How does it feel to be over 70, knowing you can go any day?

Seems somewhat natural, but this whole idea that you're going to croke over at any second is a bit ridiculous. Firstly, if it's instantaneous as you imagine, then there's no need to fear it, as you can't even prepare for it for something so sudden that will be over at any time.

But the thing you want to do to get off of this irrational thinking (if you're not suffering from some metal disease already), is make sure you visit doctors to see if you have any undiagnosed issues pertaining to age-related health risks. Like getting that aforementioned heart disease possiblity checked out (cholesterol levels should be lower than even the accepted averages, since those standards are not in line with literature of healthy levels). Check out if you have any early on set metal health issues like dementia or something. And keep getting screened for cancers yearly and such. Make sure you get daily exercise as well (quite important).

There's not much really left aside from the basics like drop drinking and smoking (and psychoactive recreational drugs if you partake).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's lots of defeatists out there that tell you to YOLO your life away doing w/e you want. But this seems like quite an ignorant stance. People seem to assume that by living however you feel like, and not waking up one day, is how most people die. When most deaths are prolonged, and agonizing ordeals. If one such condition of that sort catches you, the last thing you'll be thinking about is "where am I going to be where I die", and instead looking at how you can get it over with ASAP.

America for the most part not being an assisted suicide-friendly nation, you don't even get a quick end if you get caught with some debilitating disease as a result of a stroke, or some accident. So folks that talk about YOLOing, remind me of myself when I used to smoke at a teen. But when you dig into actual cases and see how sufferers of smoking live out their last days - you're going to wish you could slap whoever told you to live with such nonchalance.

(late 20's now, so take it as you will). I also worry how I might go, but there's no reason to live in some delitating fear of death - living in a first world nation especially (unless you're unlucky and fall off a flight of stairs and have to live in bed for the rest of your life or something). Try visiting multiple doctors if you feel the advice of one isn't to your fancy. But be careful about thinking you're smarter than all of them. Look into some anti-anxiety meds, it seems you may actually need them.

Last edited:

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi.

I know this might be a touchy subject, but in 6 weeks I will turn 49. Recently I just can't stop thinking about how little time I have left, even if I'll live to be 80.

Thirty years pass quickly. I remember 1990 as if it was yesterday. I wonder who do people who are older than me deal with the fact that life must stop at some point, which can happen very soon if you're over 60...

I even stopped adding more music to my 50k+ tracks library, because I know that I don't have much time left to listen to all my music collection and enjoy it more than once.

I've also became a health nut. I only eat low carb raw vegan food, which taste like cr@p. Luckily, I don't look anywhere near 49 (most people assume I'm 35ish). But still can't shake the thought that I'm on borrowed time.

To make things worse, I'm an agnostic atheist, so I'm unable to assure my self that I'll be going to a better place. The way I see it, when you die, you "feel" exactly the same as you felt in the 1800's...

sometimes I can't even fall asleep because I'm scared that I won't wake up in the morning (my doctor says that I have death anxiety and he proscribed me some Xanax, which I decided not to take after I read the possible side effects... :) )

How do you deal with this sad fact of life? How does it feel to be over 70, knowing you can go any day?
Just to ask, have you ever tried meditating, as in mindfulness meditation. It doesn’t happen over night but I’ve maintained a daily 5-10 minute practice fairly consistently over the last 15 years or so and it really has changed the way I react to feelings around life’s challenges, most of the time that is.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For what it's worth, Headspace Guide to Meditation is currently showing on Netflix:

As for a vegan diet, I figure a person could do lots worse than to take the advice of Dr. John McDougall.
https://www.drmcdougall.com/
McDougall advocates complex carbs, plenty of fiber and not a lot of fat. Which might sound restrictive, but there are some tasty dishes out there which meet those criteria (but I might pass on his instant ramen or hot-and-sour soups and opt for the split pea or the couscous instead).

OP
EB1000

EB1000

Don't do this, as a vegan, this is the sort of nonsense that makes vegans look like morons. Carbs especially are the most readily used energy source for powering bodily metabolism. Also raw vegan food is even more idiotic, there's no basis that this increases nutritional yield (it's actually worse, as digesting raw food isn't trivial, and leads to less caloric and nutritional uptake).

The only thing you really want to watch out (seeing as you speak English, I assume you live in the US or UK) is to avoid high lipid content, and make sure you get the vitamins and minerals you need (can be confirmed with blood tests). Heart disease related risks in these two nations is sky high. Avoiding saturated fats and cholesterol have shown to at least halt any atherosclerotic progression. Also keep sodium intake as low as you can. Even the sliced bread I eat has a ton of sodium, even though I can barely taste any salt.

Well if you see it like that, then the inability to assure yourself of something no one can prove is simply a logic lapse you need to get to grips with.

Well, you've done some weighing of risks, though by the sound of things, xanax would be prudent seeing as how your anxiety sounds crippling.

Seems somewhat natural, but this whole idea that you're going to croke over at any second is a bit ridiculous. Firstly, if it's instantaneous as you imagine, then there's no need to fear it, as you can't even prepare for it for something so sudden that will be over at any time.

But the thing you want to do to get off of this irrational thinking (if you're not suffering from some metal disease already), is make sure you visit doctors to see if you have any undiagnosed issues pertaining to age-related health risks. Like getting that aforementioned heart disease possiblity checked out (cholesterol levels should be lower than even the accepted averages, since those standards are not in line with literature of healthy levels). Check out if you have any early on set metal health issues like dementia or something. And keep getting screened for cancers yearly and such. Make sure you get daily exercise as well (quite important).

There's not much really left aside from the basics like drop drinking and smoking (and psychoactive recreational drugs if you partake).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's lots of defeatists out there that tell you to YOLO your life away doing w/e you want. But this seems like quite an ignorant stance. People seem to assume that by living however you feel like, and not waking up one day, is how many people die. When most deaths are prolonged, and agonizing ordeals. If one such condition of that sort catches you, the last thing you'll be thinking about is "where am I going to be where I die", and instead looking at how you can get it over with ASAP.

America for the most part not being an assisted suicide-friendly nation, you don't even get a quick end if you get caught with some debilitating disease as a result of a stroke, or some accident. So folks that talk about YOLOing, remind me of myself when I used to smoke at a teen. But when you dig into actual cases and see how sufferers of smoking live out their last days - you're going to wish you could slap whoever told you to live with such nonchalance.

(late 20's now, so take it as you will). I also worry how I might go, but there's no reason to live in some delitating fear of death - living in a first world nation especially (unless you're unlucky and fall off a flight of stairs and have to live in bed for the rest of your life or something). Try visiting multiple doctors if you feel the advice of one isn't to your fancy. But be careful about thinking you're smarter than all of them. Look into some anti-anxiety meds, it seems you may actually need them.

Forgot to mention that the food I consume is also organic (so it's vegan, low carb, raw and organic, basically horse $hit)...

There are two things that scare me about death - the moment it occurs, and the things I'll be missing after I'm gone (MQA Pro?, DSD2048?, Covid-69? :) )

Tks

Major Contributor
Forgot to mention that the food I consume is also organic (so it's vegan, low carb, raw and organic, basically horse $hit)...

There are two things that scare me about death - the moment it occurs, and the things I'll be missing after I'm gone (MQA Pro?, DSD2048?, Covid-69? :) )

Lol drop that meme-tier noob vegan nonsense.

As far as missing things after you're gone.. MQA Pro huh. Nevermind, YOLO yourself ASAP before Meridian sees this and gets some ideas.

Top Bottom