• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

For those of you that are around 50 YO and over - do you think about death?

Wombat

Master Contributor
Not waking up in the morning is possibly the most kind exit.

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
gene_stl said:
I have a sister in law who has been a MacDougal proponent for many decades and she has bad bad osteoporosis and is not healthy at all.
JeffS7444 said:
What does her diet look like? McDougall sells a number of convenience foods, but I wouldn't suggest that anyone live off of them to the exclusion of all else. Nor do I particularly trust vegan "food-like substances" such as dairy-free yogurt, cheese and butter.

She doesn't buy stuff she cooks from his cookbooks and eats only vegetarian crap. I doubt she eats "food like substances" which are bad whether they are MacDougal or Cheese-Its. (ah loves mah Cheese-Its, in the same way I used to like smoking cigarettes)

MacDougal is a Charlatan , a doctor who figured out a way to raise his income, in exactly the same way that the audio industry figured out that they could increase their income by selling snake oil.

Longshan

Hi.

How do you deal with this sad fact of life? How does it feel to be over 70, knowing you can go any day?

I'm 47, and while I don't worry about the death part so much, I do worry about the fact that I have less time to live.

Actually, now that I think about it, I do worry that I'm going to die alone. I have no kids, and regret that.

If these thoughts are interfering with your sleep, you may wish to speak to a professional. Cognitve Behavioural Therapy (CBT) can be very helpful with that type of issue.

And, while eating healthily is great, it's also great to treat yourself on occasion. No point making the ride longer if it's boring.

And I just realized that this post is very old. Oh well. I hope you are doing ok.

PS-I'm also an agnostic atheist. I used to be an evangelical Christian. I think being an atheist has been better for me, and I definitely think I've become a more humane and decent person since leaving Christianity.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Health conscious vegans who run marathons have dropped dead of a heart attack in their 40's and overweight smokers who've never exercised a day in their lives live into their 100's. What you eat and your habits have limited impact on your overall health - genetics is a huge factor. It's all a lottery. When your time comes there is nothing you can do to change it. Enjoy life and don't sweat the small stuff. Everything in moderation and all that...

Martin

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Well she was actually the adopted daughter of his his former wife Mia Farrow. She was in her twenties when they married, but yah, still a little creepy in my book. A good majority of the Hollywood elites seem to have a screw missing.
Adopted or biological he's a pedophile he groomed her,that'll get you hurt in the real world

Aerith Gainsborough

Destination: Moon

Being a risk patient for Covid-19 changes that equation.

I think anyone alive now is mentally and emotionally affected by the pandemic. More people have died this year in the USA than in all the wars back through WW2. And millions will have lasting impacts from the disease itself or losing loved ones. The toll is enormous

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I suppose it can't do any harm to avoid eating pesticide residues. Also, reduced use of pesticides is probably good for the environment in general, human health concerns aside. The rest of the "organic" spiel falls a bit too close to crystal healing and other mumbo-jumbo for my comfort.
There are & organic pesticides and some even fead plants while rejecting pests. Soaked stale nettles as example. What I mean by organic is plant species in their natural form well domesticated and traditional on the plant side and livestock / fish raised in healthy environment leaving healthy active life and fed same way. It might be hard to find that in US, it's getting harder even where I live but still manageable with some effort put to it. Arguably if you can't find it or afford it grow it and that's a healthy exercise. Leave the mambo jumbo snake oil of food and health industry behind.
B12... a good old live fresh brewer's yeast or a craft dark beer or two from time to time.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Woody Allen, you know what he is.
Again: Well she was actually the adopted daughter of his his former wife Mia Farrow. She was in her twenties when they married, but yah, still a little creepy in my book. A good majority of the Hollywood elites seem to have a screw missing.
Good manners: NO! Pisses people off. But pedophile? Unless it is proven that there was something going on before she was 18. Was there?

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I get an instinctive bad feeling about that website. One red flag is the claims his miracle diet can cure almost any (chronic) illness. I also don't trust people who grin like a Cheshire cat for no apparent reason. As for the recipes, many of the dishes are disturbingly lacking in essential nutrients. Others do features beans and pulses, so those could cover the protein side. I didn't notice any obvious sources of vitamins like B12, though. Remember, any diet that results in weight loss is unsustainable in the long term.
If you think that the world of hifi cables is rife with woo woo, you’ll just love the world of clean eating and organic/vegan food. Not dissing vegans, from an ethical standpoint I get where they are coming from, but nutritionally it’s a fantastically hard part to walk and those interested are far more likely to come across misinformation like this website rather than useful information.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
Dang. Op asks about death anxiety and the thread turns into how much a 50 y.o. can snap press, organic food hoaxes, veganism, and pedophilia.

:facepalm:

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Real life ain't a movie
I’d venture that a movie is a fact as much as anything else in life;) To respond more seriously though I’d be cautious about enforcing internet cancellations on such evidence. An allegation has been made, celebrities have become animated and offer their intuitions on whether the allegation is true, a few say we don’t have any information beyond an allegation. Some protesters decide that an allegation and their own intuitions are sufficient evidence to make a film makers name synonymous with a serious crime. We talk about it on an audio forum. Lots of noise, we all retain our intuitions and are none the wiser. I have no information on his guilt or otherwise, and if I did I’d offer it to the police, not the internet.

Last edited:

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Man, this thread has properly derailed. @EB1000, apologies, this wasn’t what you asked for. I agree with @Soniclife, your short post highlights a couple of things that can be positively addressed with a health professional, I hope that you take heart from that. If it helps, there are some effective science based approaches that can help, including this:

https://www.unwindinganxiety.com/

Tim Link

Forum Donor
I'll be turning 53 soon. Sometimes I imagine that an incredible scientific breakthrough becomes available that rolls back the clock on our bodies, taking us back to looking and feeling about 25 and keeping us there in perfect health indefinitely. I guess that would be fine as long as I were happy. But I'm happy now so what difference does it make?

Top Bottom