• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

For the last time, cables DO matter!

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wouldn't this actually be more like the change in frequency response of an amplifier when played through a certain loudspeaker?
???? No, the Roger Russel charts show the difference in the loudspeaker's audible frequency response as a result of increasing series resistance, which is a consequence of using cables that are of small gauge and excessive length.

Anyway, if you are using 100ft runs of 22ga zipcord, I would say you have probably already made so many mistakes in your setup that cable is going to be the least of your worries.
Well, what if you didn't make any other "mistakes?" What if you took a perfect set up and simply swapped out your 10ft of 12GA zip cord with a 100ft run of 22GA because you were under the impression that speaker cables cannot make a difference?

OP
kemmler3D

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
???? No, the Roger Russel charts show the difference in the loudspeaker's audible frequency response as a result of increasing series resistance, which is a consequence of using cables that are of small gauge and excessive length.

Well, what if you didn't make any other "mistakes?" What if you took a perfect set up and simply swapped out your 10ft of 12GA zip cord with a 100ft run of 22GA because you were under the impression that speaker cables cannot make a difference?
Right, but isn't it the amp's variable response to load and not a changing frequency response of the loudspeaker itself that is reflected in that chart? I may have misunderstood.

And, for the record, nobody said cables CANNOT make a difference. What is contended is that they DON'T make a difference... in the same way that people don't eat 100 hot wings in one sitting. Of course, TECHNICALLY, some people CAN and occasionally DO eat 100 hot wings in a sitting, but it's not something you are likely to encounter without intentionally seeking it out.

JSmith

Master Contributor
This is serious.
giphy.gif

200.gif

JSmith

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You at least need a power cable for your active speakers (if they are wifi or BT enabled), and passives need at least TWO cables to work properly, each!

DACs and amps typically need 2-4 cables to do their jobs, often more!

All these people saying cables don't matter need to face facts.

Most of our equipment simply doesn't work without them, and anyone saying otherwise clearly lacks experience with audio.

People saying there is no difference between cables are equally insane. Have you ever tried to connect an XLR cable to a 3.5mm TRS port? My experience tells me there is a clearly audible difference depending on which cable you use in that situation. Some fit, some don't. Total amateurs may disagree.
Dear God you created a monster.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
You at least need a power cable for your active speakers (if they are wifi or BT enabled), and passives need at least TWO cables to work properly, each!

DACs and amps typically need 2-4 cables to do their jobs, often more!

All these people saying cables don't matter need to face facts.

Most of our equipment simply doesn't work without them, and anyone saying otherwise clearly lacks experience with audio.

People saying there is no difference between cables are equally insane. Have you ever tried to connect an XLR cable to a 3.5mm TRS port? My experience tells me there is a clearly audible difference depending on which cable you use in that situation. Some fit, some don't. Total amateurs may disagree.
you are a guy capable of cutting a power cable supplied with current.

OP
kemmler3D

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dear God you created a monster.
Sorry, I think you meant to reply to God but I got the notification instead. I can forward the message if you let me know religion, denomination, and any open ticket numbers you might already have with the God in question.

you are a guy capable of cutting a power cable supplied with current.
Guy, yes. Capable of electrocuting myself, yes. But I haven't finished season 4 of Westworld yet so that's going to have to wait.

dartinbout

If I didn't want the glue so much, I'd say we desist from beating the dead horse.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, I think you meant to reply to God but I got the notification instead. I can forward the message if you let me know religion, denomination, and any open ticket numbers you might already have with the God in question.

Damn - sorry, wrong number on the gPhone. Please forward to the great Prophet Amir, I'm sure he'll know what to do with it. :)

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Your laser or microwave power beam will probably need a power cable, though. The sad truth is that even in 2022 cables STILL MATTER.

Touché!

I propose this: We take Cyclops from the X-Men, force him to memorize our music and them beam it directly into the voice coils. Audio nirvana!

Paolo

With apologies to Bill Shankly:

Some people think cables are a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.
Oh well, I do think they are.
750070EA-571A-4221-8FDC-A8E71FC1794B.jpeg

Frgirard

Major Contributor

Guy, yes. Capable of electrocuting myself, yes. But I haven't finished season 4 of Westworld yet so that's going to have to wait.
With an insulated clamp you can. I suceeded the abx with and without.

Top Bottom