• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

For the last time, cables DO matter!

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You at least need a power cable for your active speakers (if they are wifi or BT enabled), and passives need at least TWO cables to work properly, each!

DACs and amps typically need 2-4 cables to do their jobs, often more!

All these people saying cables don't matter need to face facts.

Most of our equipment simply doesn't work without them, and anyone saying otherwise clearly lacks experience with audio.

People saying there is no difference between cables are equally insane. Have you ever tried to connect an XLR cable to a 3.5mm TRS port? My experience tells me there is a clearly audible difference depending on which cable you use in that situation. Some fit, some don't. Total amateurs may disagree.

julian_hughes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You are mistaken. My audiophile powers are now so developed that I no longer need cables. I assemble the different magic boxes, no power cables, no interconnects, but place the price tag on the front of each one. By contemplating them in this way I can hear exactly how good they are and enjoy them to the fullest extent possible. You are young but you will learn.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You at least need a power cable for your active speakers (if they are wifi or BT enabled), and passives need at least TWO cables to work properly, each!

Most of our equipment simply doesn't work without them, and anyone saying otherwise clearly lacks experience with audio.

People saying there is no difference between cables are equally insane. Have you ever tried to connect an XLR cable to a 3.5mm TRS port? My experience tells me there is a clearly audible difference depending on which cable you use in that situation. Some fit, some don't. Total amateurs may disagree.
If they have been manufactured correctly with descent parts there is no audible difference.

Live with it.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

That's like saying that some plastic belt in the engine bay makes a difference in the performance of a Ferrari. :) Nope - it's indeed needed for things to work, but it can be pretty much any fitting equipment piece. Your lower body will not feel any better if you wear solid gold underwear. Your car will not drive faster if you put platinum valves in it (probably the contrary). Your mail will not arrive any faster if you gift your mail person a Porsche 911 Turbo. Etc.

Required - yes. Key performance bottleneck - no.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

You do know that "the wireless" has been a concept since the early 20thC? :rolleyes::)

OP
kemmler3D

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If they have been manufactured correctly with descent parts there is no audible difference.

Live with it.

I still contend you would hear the difference if (for example) you tried to connect an RCA cable to a Speakon port. Do you seriously mean to tell me it would sound the same if you used a speakon cable instead?

Not if you use high power microwave transmitters or laser beams :p

Your laser or microwave power beam will probably need a power cable, though. The sad truth is that even in 2022 cables STILL MATTER.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The whoosh factor is strong

(to misquote the late great Douglas Adams)

I love audio jokes.

I particularley love the wooshing noise they make as they swoop over the heads of those terminally fascinated by their own navel.

Last edited:

Paolo

If the cable don’t fit, there is no audio, so I’m not entirely sure about the use of “audible difference” terms, but I’m with you. Cables still matter!

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I still contend you would hear the difference if (for example) you tried to connect an RCA cable to a Speakon port. Do you seriously mean to tell me it would sound the same if you used a speakon cable instead?
If it's a Speakon port you'll need a Speakon cable. Perhaps with the help of an adapter. If either is halfway competent... check every cable review on this website and establish that the only possible difference from a more standard cable is a possible performance decrease. Cables should never ever make a difference. When they do it is a very very bad sign for transparent sound - but hey, if you prefer the altered sound, more power to you. But never claim you have any possible reason to think it's better. I do invest in cables for looks, but if I heard a difference I'd trash the new cable.

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If it's a Speakon port you'll need a Speakon cable. Perhaps with the help of an adapter. If either is halfway competent... check every cable review on this website and establish that the only possible difference from a more standard cable is a possible performance decrease. Cables should never ever make a difference. When they do it is a very very bad sign for transparent sound - but hey, if you prefer the altered sound, more power to you. But never claim you have any possible reason to think it's better. I do invest in cables for looks, but if I heard a difference I'd trash the new cable.
missed-point-point.gif

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
When does wire become cable? How many wires does a cable make? More than one apparently.

And what about a Toslink fibre optic cable? It's not a cable because there is only one fibre.

Top Bottom