• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 Audio Interface Reviewed and Measured

dinglehoser

Forum Donor
I'm now having the same issues as @amirm did with this specific unit. Will RMA and see what happens from there.

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That is true. The problem is that raising the input beyond 4 volt severely distorts. This should not happen. As it is, you can't use the last 7 dB or so of the system dynamic range.

I tested my 2i2 (Rev 2) at various input levels a while back and here's a graph showing input voltage (verified with scope) vs THD levels.

distortion.png

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm now having the same issues as @amirm did with this specific unit. Will RMA and see what happens from there.
Well the good news is maybe you get a replacement that works just fine. Of course we already know the bad news.

Thanks for sending this to Amir. A little publicity for their problems, maybe they'll put a little more effort into fixing it.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

arvidb

I ran my dashboard measurement and all was well. Then I noticed as I was documenting the output in photoshop that it was showing garbage data being captured. It was a sequence of sqarewaves at 750 Hz.
*snip*
Besides the software issue, we have the self-oscillation or whatever it was that caused the unit to spin its wheels capturing garbage. Imagine monitoring that and having it go to your speaker at high volume. Not good. Not good at all.
This guy seem to have run into the same failure mode, with full scale noise on all outputs as well as a BSOD. Description at time 1:30:

If its firmware is as buggy as the Windows driver, perhaps some failures make it set up its internal mixer so that it causes feedback?

liofeu

Thanks amirm, would you have the frequency response of the microphone inputs for the max sampling frequency (192 kHz) please as you did for Scarlett 2i2 here?
I'd like to know whether I could plug an ultrasound mic to it. In the manual, it is only said "+0 -0.1 dB, 20 Hz/20 kHz". This is also what they say for the Scarlett 2i2 ("20-20kHz ± 0.15dB") however, the latter has a pretty good frequency response in high frequencies when sampled at 192 kHz according to your other review , so I'm hoping this would be the same for the 18i8.

Top Bottom