• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with Focusrite 2i2 and phamton power

pmatos

I got the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen (just a few days before the 4th gen came out - *sigh*). Anyway, I got a pair of Rode M5 condenser mics. I connected then to the Scarlett.
The Scarlett is connected to my laptop. The Scarlett works. Then I turn on the 48v phantom power but... the gain knobs which should light green just blink 2 or 3 times before disappearing. The mics are not working. I have no idea what the problem could be. Does anyone have any experience with this and might have an idea of what's going on?

Paulo Matos

staticV3

Master Contributor
Sounds a bit like over current protection triggering on your laptop.

Could you try plugging the Scarlett directly into a phone charger via USB, then turning on Phantom Power and checking whether the same thing still happens?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Also try it with one microphone attached rather than two. If one works, you probably are starving for current. So staticV3's suggestion would probably fix it for you.

OP
P

pmatos

Sounds a bit like over current protection triggering on your laptop.

Could you try plugging the Scarlett directly into a phone charger via USB, then turning on Phantom Power and checking whether the same thing still happens?
Tried with the Kindle usb plug and two other older (not USB-C) plugs I had around and then not even the Scarlett turns on.

OP
P

pmatos

Also try it with one microphone attached rather than two. If one works, you probably are starving for current. So staticV3's suggestion would probably fix it for you.
Same happens with just one mic, there's some green blinking after pressing the 48v button but it goes off. I played with the gain moving it to maximum. A few more green blinks but afterwards it's off for good.

OP
P

pmatos

OK - so this is embarrassing! :)
I tried on another laptop and the same happened. But this time I was annoyed and decided to sing a song. When I did so, the led bulb blinked green. So this thing only shows a light when there's actual signal on the mic. *facepalm*. I tried back on my laptop and it works. The problem was that there was no signal. I incorrectly expected it to just show a light if the mic was connected at all. My bad. really sorry for the noise and thanks for your time.

Top Bottom