• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 Audio Interface Reviewed and Measured

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The specs says max level for line in is +22dBu (at minimum gain) so it makes sense that 4Vrms results in -7.895dBFS.
That is true. The problem is that raising the input beyond 4 volt severely distorts. This should not happen. As it is, you can't use the last 7 dB or so of the system dynamic range.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When it was one machine, it was one thing. But when it repeated on the second that is almost virgin, then it became a bigger issue. The odds of that should be very low.

Now, maybe the hardware is broken. Will have to wait and see if it works for the owner.

I agree with you. And here is the weird part. There probably at least a 50% chance someone else takes your unit, and it works properly. I've experienced this before with these recording interfaces. Or maybe yours had faulty firmware in it or some other part.

Knowing people with broken gear complain the most, perhaps with this 18i8, 5% are having this issue. And that seems like a large number to me. I'd like to know from the inside how companies handle this. As it occurs with pretty much all brands to some extent.

Antelope audio is near bottom of the barrel on such issues reputation-wise. The Zen Tour I have, I purchased because someone couldn't get it to work with any of their machines. Worked with mine so I purchased it. Works with 3 PC's and a Macbook Pro. I did have an issue with one of the big updates to its firmware (one so buggy Sweetwater dropped the brand). I did get it figured out though the approach was like some kind of voo doo. After the next update no problems. Others are still having problems and I do think they have this more than is the norm. I've wondered why most of these companies can't make this a 1% or less problem.

So right for you to report your experience, and be unhappy. I would be too. Would be nice if Focusrite could at least swap units with you.

thumbslapper

I have a earlier gen 18i8 that I use on a MacBook Pro and a iPad, and it has worked very well on both, i've never had any driver issues with them. I used it for a bit on a Windows 10 box and do remember having driver issues, but this was 4-5 years ago.

I have a much older Pro40 which I also use with a MBP, and its connected via 3 adapters - USB-C --> thunderbolt 3, thunderbolt 3 --> TB2, TB2 --> firewire 800, and a firewire 800 --> firewire 400 cable. Surprisingly this is very stable, i plug/unplug all the time, and maybe have to do a power cycle on the unit once a month.

the headphone amp on either unit is not great, but the AD and DA is decent (not great), but for $300 you get 8 AD and 4 DA. If you want better convertors get a Universal Audio or Apogee or Prism (something that doens't cost $25/convertor).

If you have a Mac or iOS don't worry about driver issues...

Noob

You could also measure the headphone out. That would cover the major bases of the device.

Edit: Just read that the device wasn't working properly, so maybe after that gets figured out.

dinglehoser

Forum Donor
You could also measure the headphone out. That would cover the major bases of the device.

I was planning on running a few more informal tests using my Apogee Element 24 and REW (more or less parroting what @pkane did in his Element 24 thread, incidentally). Let me know if you have any specific requests ... assuming I can get the damn thing to work.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just as a point of reference for those considering such devices. I'd say the consensus on who is the best for supporting devices are:

RME (still supplying good drivers for gear as old as 2001)
Lynx
Apogee
Motu

These do a good job maintaining support for longer than normal, and having good non-buggy software. Apogee sort of cheats as they only do Mac stuff. Also doesn't mean these are the only good companies.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I also heard that RME has the best drivers in the industry.

thumbslapper

Just as a point of reference for those considering such devices. I'd say the consensus on who is the best for supporting devices are:

Lynx
Apogee
Motu

These do a good job maintaining support for longer than normal, and having good non-buggy software. Apogee sort of cheats as they only do Mac stuff. Also doesn't mean these are the only good companies.
RME is known for their rock-stable drivers, great converters, and always supporting older gear, but it is in a price point above the focusrite.

Another brand to consider is Metric Halo, very good convertors which will last a long time. not cheap. Universal Audio as built in DSP (with plug-ins that only work on it), and Prism converters are excellent as well.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, I went and looked at the results from my old PC and I found a couple of DAC measurements which I just put in the review:

index.php

index.php
Thanks.

I have many stability problems with my 2i4 2nd Gen too. Blue screens, impossible to fast forward in a track in Wasapi, etc on a brand new laptop with up to date Win10.

Last edited:

Guermantes

Lynx
Apogee
Motu

Another vote for RME here. We have old Hammerfall PCI cards at work that still get driver updates (latest is listed as 2019-06-25). Our only issues have been hardware ones with a particular Fireface UFX that has a faded LCD display and recently had a capacitor blow in in the SMPS (easy fix).

At home, I have an M-Audio FW 410 that hasn't had a driver update in 10 years. It works stably under Win7 but it's holding me back from upgrading the OS to Win10. Time to look at a MOTU USB interface, methinks.

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
Recall when I started getting into audio, this was the hyped up to be one of the best bang for buck devices ever.

Only thing this thing seemingly made go bang is your Operating System.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Guess behringer is a better choice? It's cheap, didn't kill the computer in the past measurement, so not bad?
I never saw measurements of 404hd,1820 though.

I've had pretty bad experience with the UMC204HD. Glitches in audio playback all the time for example.

Hrodulf

Focusrite driver problems with 2nd gen Scarlett units are well known. Because of them Thomann was forced to remove them from the store for some time. Scarlett seems to be a decent beginner interface, but due to shoddy drivers I recommend Audient more often.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
You are not alone with BSODs with the Focusrite. I have a 2i2 version 2 and it fabulous, except random BSODs during boot-up with the focusrite **usb.sys driver before Win10 has even started up. (Ver 1903)

Rare, but annoying nonetheless. I think the USB cable and/or the type B rear socket could be a culprit, but I really can't be bothered looking for the problem. A reboot fixes it for weeks. There's plenty on the internet about people with exactly the same problem.

EDIT and update to my post- WIN10 BSOD solved for my unit.

So I investigated my random lockups on my 2i2 V2 and am very pleased to report the BSODs were a simple case of the USB port on the Focusrite needing a contact clean. I was able to create the BSOD during boot up by plugging or unplugging headphones and I figured the movement/vibration was perhaps stimulating a dry joint on the rear USB port. It was actually simpler, just the internal type B contacts were slightly oxidized.

After a decent USB socket clean with CRC 2-26, the Focusrite 2i2 interface will not lock up or flash its LEDs like it was.

Wombat

Master Contributor
EDIT and update to my post- WIN10 BSOD solved for my unit.

So I investigated my random lockups on my 2i2 V2 and am very pleased to report the BSODs were a simple case of the USB port on the Focusrite needing a contact clean. I was able to create the BSOD during boot up by plugging or unplugging headphones and I figured the movement/vibration was perhaps stimulating a dry joint on the rear USB port. It was actually simpler, just the internal type B contacts were slightly oxidized.

After a decent clean with CRC 2-26 the Focusrite 2i2 interface will not lock up or flash its LEDs like it was.

Until the corrosion reoccurs. Focusrite or cable connector issue?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Until the corrosion reoccurs. Focusrite or cable connector issue?

An average quality USB type B socket on the Focusrite I would say. Considering how often USB cables get yanked, they would do well to offer some form of restraining system for the cable and plug/socket. It does, after all, do a lot of portable work with a laptop for musicians.

Let's face it, every single modern USB/Lightning/DC coaxial/HDMI plug/socket assemblies are not designed to take actual human usage without failing. Give me a screw down 9 pin serial or a BNC any day. Or some of those magnificent military connectors used in avionics like these:

1571215585657.png

Or these:
1571215669321.png

The red Focusrite cable they supply wasn't at fault or any of my USB cables- it was the socket on the unit.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
An average quality USB type B socket on the Focusrite I would say. Considering how often USB cables get yanked, they would do well to offer some form of restraining system for the cable and plug/socket. It does, after all, do a lot of portable work with a laptop for musicians.

Let's face it, every single modern USB/Lightning/DC coaxial/HDMI plug/socket assemblies are not designed to take actual human usage without failing. Give me a screw down 9 pin serial or a BNC any day. Or some of those magnificent military connectors used in avionics like these:

View attachment 36111

Or these:
View attachment 36112

The red Focusrite cable they supply wasn't at fault or any of my USB cables- it was the socket on the unit.
But those connectors would become the most expensive single component in the entire device. And Focusrite didn't decide connectors for the USB world.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
But those connectors would become the most expensive single component in the entire device. And Focusrite didn't decide connectors for the USB world.

I totally agree, but in John's ideal fantasy world, mobile phones have XLRs or 1/4" headphone jacks, all TVs have beautiful locking multiway BNC style connectors and all computer connections are screw down (like they were), gold plated and metal.

I remember first seeing the USB connector and declaring it an intermittent contact nightmare. It's proved to be ubiquitous and more resilient than I first thought, but the problems are still there as you can see.

The Apple 30pin connector was the big game changer as far as short-lived multi pin connectors went.

:)

Top Bottom