• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focusing on what we do best...

DownUnderGazza

Forum Donor
Hi all,
ASR has become a regular Must-Visit web site for me.

I highly value the regular testing and discussion that goes on around science-oriented audio and the furthering of the human enjoyment of music! Not everyone can do the testing / write-ups that AMIRM and others here undertake and contribute to us all freely. I for one would love to see a greater level of sustainability of what is currently being done, maybe even more testing and write-ups if the means allow, but I also know there is a cost in terms of $$$'s and time / effort to make this happen. Mostly a personal sacrifice / labour of love by those doing the actual work.

Firstly some observations:
-- our Chief Fun Officer gets sent lots of gear for testing, this helps, as does the growing pool of Patreon / PayPal supporters;
-- our CFO also he ends up with a lot of unwanted gear that has been purchased out of his own pocket but due to poor tests are now more often than not 'undesirable', and thus hard(er) to unload;
-- there's a growing amount of admin work required to make sure the valuable reviews are accessible to us all, time taken away from the task of testing gear;
-- I'm absolutely sure there are members here who's skills and talents could make a huge difference.

So, in the hope that these suggestions meet approval with the CFO:
-- are there people willing to help sell surplus gear on behalf of AMIRM, with funds generated going back to the owner and/or into the fund for new gear?
Now as this is AMIRM's personal property, a great deal of trust and care is called for to do this responsibility and in a way that genuinely benefits the owner!

-- are there skilled and methodical people willing to organise and update the various reviews and graphs etc on behalf of our CFO and community?
The Master SINAD graph comes to mind as an obvious candidate, as well as the ever growing Reviews Completed and ToDo lists

I'm sure there are other tasks that could be done to share the load and burden of running this great site.

If I've over-stepped any boundaries or poked my nose into matters that don't concern me, I deeply apologise.
My personal agenda is simply to contribute ideas that benefit us all.

Webninja

Forum Donor
I am willing to sell surplus gear. I have been selling on eBay for years and just sold a round of equipment on Audiogon. We'll have to figure out logistics, but I'm happy to list and manage questions and payment.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am willing to sell surplus gear. I have been selling on eBay for years and just sold a round of equipment on Audiogon. We'll have to figure out logistics, but I'm happy to list and manage questions and payment.
That would be fantastic! I have never sold anything on ebay or anywhere else for that matters so pretty handicapped that way. Let me get myself together and will start a conversation on how to go about doing it.

GoMrPickles

Forum Donor
-- are there skilled and methodical people willing to organise and update the various reviews and graphs etc on behalf of our CFO and community?
The Master SINAD graph comes to mind as an obvious candidate, as well as the ever growing Reviews Completed and ToDo lists
Regarding the SINAD graph, I'm happy to help. If Amir has saved the output data from the AP, it's usually straightforward to use Python/pandas to dump all of it into a single CSV file, embed it in a Tableau Public workbook, and publish it to the web (https://public.tableau.com/s/). Tableau dashboards are interactive, so one could filter for DACs, amps, DAC+Amps, stereo amps, etc., or filter by other features (balanced, cost).

I generally use a combination of two tables, one summary (e.g, SINAD, cost, type of device, make, model, etc.), and one detailed (the actual curves). AFAICT, other sites publish the curves, but not the raw data. Having the raw data makes it (obviously) easy to compare any N devices.

If there's interest, I can publish a mockup.

Top Bottom