• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Clear MG

OP
Paolo

Paolo

So today they lifted the embargo, I expect we're about to see reviews popping up.
I'm really curious since I was a couple of clicks away from ordering a pair of old Clear Pro right when they announced the new MG…

3125b

Major Contributor
Funny how they talk about the fancy materials but no word about the actual headband being plastic :)
But I like the look.

Tachyon88

I like this more than the previous version, which wasn't bad either. I really hope these do not have clipping and QC issues.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like this more than the previous version, which wasn't bad either. I really hope these do not have clipping and QC issues.
The crackling is likely to continue due to the open voice coil, but hopefully, like my Clear, they all are fine to earsplitting volume.

So... who's gonna offer to order a pair for Amir to test?

Also, what embargo @Paolo ?

Nitrium

The crackling is likely to continue due to the open voice coil, but hopefully, like my Clear, they all are fine to earsplitting volume.

So... who's gonna offer to order a pair for Amir to test?

Also, what embargo @Paolo ?

I think he was referring to the review embargo, or sales embargo. A lot of info popped up on Monday, and retailers put up their product pages in their storefronts.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They look great. I am surprised frequency response is so close to the original Clear. I don't think the video is correct about the pure magnesium. I am pretty sure they went to a different alloy that contains primarily magnesium, but still contains aluminum. Clement mentions testing 'alloys' in the Focal promo videos for the Clear MG and the Clear Pro MG; and alloys tend to have better properties (strength, rigidity, etc.) than pure metal in applications like this. The M-shaped inner grille is nice, and the outer grille looks so cool, but I doubt they do much for the sound.

Zensō

Major Contributor
They look great. I am surprised frequency response is so close to the original Clear. I don't think the video is correct about the pure magnesium. I am pretty sure they went to a different alloy that contains primarily magnesium, but still contains aluminum. Clement mentions testing 'alloys' in the Focal promo videos for the Clear MG and the Clear Pro MG; and alloys tend to have better properties (strength, rigidity, etc.) than pure metal in applications like this. The M-shaped inner grille is nice, and the outer grille looks so cool, but I doubt they do much for the sound.
Agreed; this refresh of the Clear seems to be more cosmetic than substantive. It is a pretty headphone for sure, but my preference will always be for black because in my experience light colored headphones often start looking soiled in short order.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I see about 5dB less treble peak at 8kHz. This is most likely audible as less sharp sounding on some occasions. Might be worthwhile for people wanting the Clear but not owning one yet. maybe a tad better treble ?

Archsam

Top Bottom