• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Aria 906 Speaker Review

wje

Forum Donor
Just read this review for the hell of it and became fascinated. Currently, the 906 is selling in the US for $2200/pr while the Chora 806 is 598/pr.

Back in December, I stumbled upon a post that indicated the Chora line was being discontinued. I've tried to find where I read that information and can't locate it. I was looking at the 806 around the same time and was surprised by their sale prices. I thought I'd just wait and see if Focal stopped the sale at the end of 2022, but it appears the sale prices have continued. Take the information with a grain of salt until it gets confirmed by other sources, though. But, it wouldn't surprise me. If that's the case, it will be interesting to see what Focal comes up with as replacement.

wje

Forum Donor
Thanks for replying - a follow up question:

I live in a flat/apartment with one neighbour below. Will I get the benefits of a sub in terms of how it aids mids and trebles given that I won’t be able to blast it at high levels without warranting him getting angry with me? Haha.

For reference I don’t listen to hip hop or dance/electronic in living room. I’ve got good IEMs for that when out and at gym.

Thanks

I live in a flat that has a neighbor below me and one above me. I have 2 RSL Speedwoofers for my 2-channel listening. I haven't had any complaints from my neighbors regarding sound. One thing I've always used on all of my subwoofers over the past 6-7 years has always been the SVS sound isolation feet. This decouples the subwoofer from the floor of your unit. I'm sure if I were not using the sound isolators, I'd have many complaints because of the bass transfer. I normally listen to a lot of light jazz, which does benefit from the use of a subwoofer to firm up the lower octives a bit. To me, the $49.99 for 4 of the isolation feet when used on any subwoofer is a no-brainer. The supplied bolts may not fit other brands of subwoofers, but a quick trip to the hardware store and one can get the right bolts to utilize with the isolation feet.

Monosauras

I’m tossing up between Focal and Polk 3.0.

Focal Aria 926 + CC900
Vs
Polk R700 + L400

I love the presence of the 926 vocals, but love the soundstage of the R700. But I think it will come down to the centre.

Are there any reviews of the CC900 around? I’ve heard L400 is damn good, but not much about the CC900, or how it would compare.

Thanks

delta76

Major Contributor
Where I live l400 alone is more expensive than 2x906 and cc900 combined. So if they are same price range to you, then l200 + l400 represent better value

Monosauras

Where I live l400 alone is more expensive than 2x906 and cc900 combined. So if they are same price range to you, then l200 + l400 represent better value
So assuming the same price, you’d go with the Polk? Good to know.
Liked the presence of the Focal but preferred the soundstage of the Polk. Can’t audition either centre, though.

delta76

Major Contributor
So assuming the same price, you’d go with the Polk? Good to know.
Liked the presence of the Focal but preferred the soundstage of the Polk. Can’t audition either centre, though.
Yeah as with other things my purchased are based strongly on the perceived value. In France Focal Aria is really really cheap, it does not mean they are bad speakers but the mark up in US is insane, of $2500 for 2x906 + cc900 the actual cost of the speakers are less than 500.

While polk pl200 and pl400 are comparable prices in both US and EU (with consideration to exchange rate, taxes and shipping etc.)

I own a set of focal aria, to be clear. And like them a lot, but i got them for cheap :)

sniegs

I’m tossing up between Focal and Polk 3.0.

Focal Aria 926 + CC900
Vs
Polk R700 + L400

I love the presence of the 926 vocals, but love the soundstage of the R700. But I think it will come down to the centre.

Are there any reviews of the CC900 around? I’ve heard L400 is damn good, but not much about the CC900, or how it would compare.

Thanks
Buy what you have heard and what you like, not what others are talking about but what you don't know or will like.
If it is interesting, time and money, of course you can experiment, but in the end you will probably stay with what you like and not what is better according to others' opinions or price, of course if the sound is the first thing for you.
There is little talk about musicality in this forum, there are mainly measurements that have nothing to do with musicality, they only make everything analytical, dry, uninteresting.
Regarding prices, of course, there are things that are cheap in the US but expensive in the EU and vice versa.

sniegs

Back in December, I stumbled upon a post that indicated the Chora line was being discontinued. I've tried to find where I read that information and can't locate it. I was looking at the 806 around the same time and was surprised by their sale prices. I thought I'd just wait and see if Focal stopped the sale at the end of 2022, but it appears the sale prices have continued. Take the information with a grain of salt until it gets confirmed by other sources, though. But, it wouldn't surprise me. If that's the case, it will be interesting to see what Focal comes up with as replacement.
It looks like it with the prices.
Design is of course a matter of taste, but I find this Chora model disgusting. It also does not stand the test of time, otherwise, it would hardly change.
2023-02-04_15-16-20.png
ezgif-3-767bea712b.jpg

delta76

Major Contributor
Enough with musicality non sense. Every trait of a speaker (warm, bright etc.) can be seen in the measurements. There is a reason we aim to find speakers with flat response is because statistically more people will prefer those, and if you have a certain taste in music it is easier to EQ to your liking.

Monosauras

Can anyone link me to, or share with me, their direct comparisons of the 906 with the 926. Understandably the 926 would have more low end to it, but what about the mid and high range?

Would the 906 function as a good centre channel between 2x 926?

damirj79

Not sure but I think you can only buy 906 in pairs. Cc900 is better for centre and also competitively priced.

Monosauras

Not sure but I think you can only buy 906 in pairs. Cc900 is better for centre and also competitively priced.
Would have been bought in a pair and one just used as a rear centre. But only if it was better than using a CC900. Thanks

wje

Forum Donor
It looks like it with the prices.
Design is of course a matter of taste, but I find this Chora model disgusting. It also does not stand the test of time, otherwise, it would hardly change.
View attachment 262209View attachment 262210

Exactly. Some corners were really cut during the design, used of materials and construction of the Chora series. While I initially read the Chora line was being cut, apparently Focal just reduced their selling prices so they could insert the Focal Vestia series. While the Vestia utilizes a similar slate woofer, it has a different cabinet and tweeter and is prices somewhat in between the Chora and Aria line. It will be interesting to see how the Vestia performs when properly tested.

jsilvela

For Focal Aria 906, check out this vendor: https://www.homecinesolutions.fr/p/17034-focal-aria-906-dark-ebony

Click on their "Confidential Price". Or, for a steal, that page was showing 2x Focal Aria 906 + Stands for 808 €. (Highly recommend Focal's stands for these speakers).
Had been coveting the 906's for a while, then saw your message about the speakers + stands offer.
Bought from homecinesolutions.fr, received the shipment last week. Felt good to practice my French too.
The speakers ... ohhh, such natural sound...

lc155

I see there is a K2 version of these speakers. Any significant differences beyond a different cone colour?

Xaviedie

Hello, could you have the frequency response FOCAL ARIA 906 v.s FOCAL ARIA 906 k2 please? the best in your opinion

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I see there is a K2 version of these speakers. Any significant differences beyond a different cone colour?
Hello, could you have the frequency response FOCAL ARIA 906 v.s FOCAL ARIA 906 k2 please? the best in your opinion

Vs their test of the originals, some differences seem to exist.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/focal-aria-906-speaker-review.14085/I see there is a K2 version of these speakers. Any significant differences beyond a different cone colour?
https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/speaker/bookshelf/focal-aria-906-bookshelf-speakers-review/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/focal-aria-906-speaker-review.14085/
for K2 I just found this, with a somewhat cruder response measurement (but at least they measured it, yay!)
https://7review.com/focal-aria-k2-906-review/
Both seemed tuned to 50 Hz. What I recall of the K2 introduction was not really changes in response but change of material for better sound (meaning what? Less distortion maybe, improved sound decay?). You could contact https://upscaleaudio.com/pages/contact-us and as huge Focal dealers they can definitely tell you. We like our 936/CC900/SR900 (flax) very much.

Beave

Major Contributor

Notice that they used different measurement axes for the two speakers (why?). The original was measured at the tweeter axis, while the K2 was measured with the axis between the tweeter and midwoofer.

Top Bottom