• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Aria 936 vs JBL 4312SE

Vinylmasta

I currently have the 2017 JBL 4312SE 70th Anniversary edition speakers with my Technics SU-G700 which I love but need the speakers moved to my dj system.

I'm thinking of a second pair of speakers and somehow the rabbit hole has led to Focal Aria 936 for my sit down sessions.

Has anyone by any chance have experience with any of the JBL 4312 and Aria 936?

I currently have the JBL's in horizontal with the tweeter and mid aligned and getting a nice sound stage but maybe it's time for a step up.

Room size 19x18 but will eventually be in a 22x23 room.

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
Hi, welcome to ASR.

You may find the below information useful;
JBL 4312 and Aria 936?
A large part of the upper-bass peak apparent in this graph will be due to the inevitable exaggeration of the nearfield measurement technique. But with the overlap between the outputs of the three woofers and the midrange drive-unit in the same region, it is hard to escape the conclusion that the Aria 936 will have too much upper-bass energy in all but very large rooms. I note that Bob Deutsch found that the Focal's bass sounded extended, but without the low frequencies sounding "boomy or bloated," which suggests that the woofer alignment is on the overdamped side. Though the tuning frequencies of the ports bracket 40Hz, close to the frequency of the lowest string of the electric bass and double bass, RD did comment on the Aria 936's excellent low-frequency extension; I suspect that this is actually related to the speaker's exaggerated upper bass.
There are many speakers that have been measured here in the review index that you may wish to explore and consider;

JSmith

Top Bottom