• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fluance Signature Bookshelf Speaker Review

Timbo2

I realize finding product names with global rights becomes increasingly difficult, but am I the only person that read this at first as "Flatulence"?

It would not be my first choice of names even if it is accurate description of the sound.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I realize finding product names with global rights becomes increasingly difficult, but am I the only person that read this at first as "Flatulence"?

It would not be my first choice of names even if it is accurate description of the sound.
My brain goes to effluence, but this might be saying more about us than whoever named the company.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I mean, these are even cheaper ;)
and they have air motion transformers, to boot!
DSC_0604 (3) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
Yah,
those might sound okay.
FWIIW other budget Dayton finished speakers I have heard sounded pretty crappy. (Their raw drivers have been EXCELLENT though and their DIY kits have been up to snuff)
The finished Dayton's also look very low budget, that may or may no be an issue for some.
My understanding of this pair (B652-Air) is that the crossover needs some work and the tweeter level is very boosted. Still be cool to see the Kipple results of a $50-60 pair.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Yah,
those might sound okay.
FWIIW other budget Dayton finished speakers I have heard sounded pretty crappy. (Their raw drivers have been EXCELLENT though and their DIY kits have been up to snuff)
The finished Dayton's also look very low budget, that may or may no be an issue for some.
My understanding of this pair (B652-Air) is that the crossover needs some work and the tweeter level is very boosted. Still be cool to see the Kipple results of a $50-60 pair.
They sound -- fair.
At best.
I bought an on-sale pair.
They're a notch above dreadful, but just a notch.
I actually kind of like the AMT tweeter (which some folks find screechy) -- which probably says more about my age & the state of my HF hearing response than it does about the tweeters.

P_M

yikes I hope their turntable products are not so bad.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
My brain goes to effluence, but this might be saying more about us than whoever named the company.

Same for me! There's a Renault Fluence that I always think looks like s#$t whenever I drive behind one...

1601507482864.png

bobbooo

Major Contributor
It is a feature of the software I have not shown before. And yes, I can report it on any of the past projects. How motivated I am to do so, is another matter. :)

Can the software also be used to estimate a near-field in-room response from this?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Weak preference score. Thank you @amirm for adding to the database.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can the software also be used to estimate a near-field in-room response from this?
Yes. I can report CTA-2034 at any distance. Currently the spec requires 3 meters. It is more work though than the other response I post.

Note however that I don't think in-room response formula makes any sense in near-field. The strength of the reflections is completely different than the research in far field that generated that formula.

digicidal

Major Contributor
Looks like what might happen if Bugatti tried making something for "pedestrian budgets" - very pedestrian I might add.

The speaker version looks better IMO... but that's about all it has going for it. But I'm sure it's very polite considering it's Canadian. ;)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Looks like what might happen if Bugatti tried making something for "pedestrian budgets" - very pedestrian I might add.

Imagine the amount of stones it would flick up with those exposed rear tire edges. It needs fat mud flaps.

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks alot for another acoustic review Amir, based your acoustic spindata pattern in CAD software especially looking at lobe for crossover region it seems scream for a stand underneath that tilt enclosure +12º, compared to marketing at their website objective performance is not something to write home about that said they ask so little in costs.

Tilt_+12deg_x1x1_800mS.gif

The proudly claim the crossover is phase coherent. Can we make that out from the phase plot? The phase is at -25 degrees at the crossover region.

I find it odd that even with a phase plug, this 5" woofer is losing directivity before crossing with the tweeter.
Is it not merely the phase of the electrical impedance depicted in this graph?
Right, but what would a phase coherent graph look like in comparison to a non phase coherent one?
It's an interesting question. I just re-read your earlier post and saw that the claim was that the crossover (not the speaker itself) is phase-coherent. I can't see how we could determine that from the impedance plot without also knowing the individual impedances of the drivers in the enclosure (at least). It does seem quite likely that the crossover is simply a coil on the woofer and a cap (and L-pad) on the tweeter, however.
Agree its odd stuff looking directivity index curve and listening window what should be any phase coherent about crossover, also they list crossover frequency as 2300Hz and think signs in CAD software point it more to be ala around 2800Hz area with downwards tilted lobe and includes also side lobes. As far as i know they could be suited for the the phase claim because phase coherence in crossover region means nearly no side lobes only one lobe should exist and not tilt anywhere other that point strait forward, as the lower radar below that belong to Amir's analyze for Neumann KH 80 at 1800Hz, upper two ones is Fluence signature at 2300/2800Hz.

XO_region_1a.png

Here's the graph that was provided for this speaker back in March 7, 2018.
I know since this speaker was on my radar for a long time now.
Notice the 60dB window.
View attachment 85448

Since then, they've updated the site and posted the *smooth graph* you guys see now.

Their marketing employes seem happy at website give full throttle in hint Fluence Signature as superity product, but their new curve for bookshelf version on the say polated 100dB scale seen below at right side is actual not worst when overlaid to Amir's spindata, but then when they know about the performance why didnt they they adjust a little more improvements before product was released..

Manufacture_curve_Fluance_Signature_verse_ASR_1_x4x1_400mS.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom