• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

First TT build. SL1200MK5 / 2M Blue / Phono? / Acrylic? and more...

Which Phono Preamp should I get? (You get 2 votes)

• $130 refurb NAD 2pe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $150 refurb NAD PP4

• $160 Muffsy PP-4 (build it stock)

• $250 Vincent PHO-8

• $300 MoFi StudioPhono

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
andrewskaterrr

andrewskaterrr

Forgot to update. I ended up with this set up and I'm loving it:

Technics SL-1200 MK5
Audio Technica VM540MV
White Steel Headshell
Technics RGS0008 Mat (292x2.8mm, 298g)
Cherry Audio Acrylic Mat (295x3mm, 237g)
Quality Electronics White Faceplate
Reloop Dust Cover
Femeli 304g Short Weight
Muffsy Phono Preamp PP-4 Kit using Schiit 16VAC/AC 500mA adapter.

I first bought the recommended Jameco Reliapro ADU160100Z5401 on his page, but the transformer was humming loudly and it was HUGE. I returned it and got the Schiit he also recommended. It's still dead silent after a few months. The Muffsy wasn't too hard to build and was my first time soldering a board from scratch. Stripping the cables and getting them the right size was the hardest part. As you might see, I tried to follow the instructions exactly, but they seemed too long in the end. They did work but just had to bend the cables a little bit. There was extra cable left over so if you mess up a cable it's ok. The Muffsy sounds great and I love the minimalist boxes it's made to go in. Although I don't want an LED shining out the front plate, I've left it on a few times so I may try to add that at some point.

Attachments

• SL1200MK5.jpg
    SL1200MK5.jpg
    479.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Musffy PP-4.jpg
    Musffy PP-4.jpg
    641.1 KB · Views: 97
  • Rear TT Shelf.jpg
    Rear TT Shelf.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 105
  • TT Test.jpg
    TT Test.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 97
OP
andrewskaterrr

andrewskaterrr

UPDATE:
I noticed the Muffsy PP-4 had a noise in the left channel. I found a thread on VinylEngine where a guy had the same issue, and the fix was wiring the power switch directly to the amp board's power holes. The power doesn't need to go through the amp stage and the AC power dirties up the singal. Bypassing this not only got rid of the left channel noise, but lowered the noise floor as well. It's dead silent now from my seat. Love it!

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Nice job. My only suggestion would be to tightly twist your power wires. 20 gauge solid core teflon insulation - soldering will not melt it - works well for this purpose. You can bend it to shape to stay max distance from your amplification board. Having the input power on the opposite side would be even better. On the other hand, if it is quiet enough the why mess with success? Happy listening.

Top Bottom