• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help verifying first new system should work (DAC, Amp, Speakers)

hiro_pro

While I have read a ton of posts here and it has been immensely helpful getting me here this is my first post so be kind, or at least funny.

I work from home most days listening to Spotify through my work laptop and want to upgrade my sound system. I have my DAC attached to my docking station via usb cable along with my camera and my Yeti Blue mic. I need that setup so I can take phone calls and join in on meetings, all through MS Teams. Being able to use my laptop to control everything is necessary for work and Spotify is necessary for my sanity. On the weekends I can just switch out the company laptop for my laptop, the wife’s or my PC so the docking stations stays unless someone has a truly inspiring solution.

A few years ago, I upgraded to a pair of Audioengine A5 powered speakers (not wireless) with the Audioengine S8 subwoofer. I was having issues with the speakers popping whenever I powered on or off so I added the ifi Zen DAC 2. I was also having issues with the sub clipping or bottoming out, so I upgraded to the SVS SB1000 Pro subwoofer this year. While the sub really helped, I felt like I was still missing anything approaching high fidelity and would never use words like soundstage or separation when describing my setup. I noticed that KEF R3 (not metas) are getting closed out at a decent price, for budgetary considerations call it $1,200. That means I need an amp and for the price and stats the Buckeye Purifi 1ET400A Amplifier, 2-channel seems like a reasonable option. I believe I can buy a ifi 4.4mm to XLT cable to go from the balanced out on the ifi DAC to the Buckeye amp and use the RCA outs on the DAC to connect the SVS sub. My first upgrade a few paychecks from now will be the Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M.

So finally, my questions. Other than buying speaker wire to go from the amp to the speakers do I need anything to make this work? Based on the setup I described, are there any suggestions that will improve my setup while NOT substantially increasing my budget (please no $20k MacIntosh Amps). I should add my desk area is tight so I cannot go with larger speakers like Wharfedale Linton Heritage.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
In short yes you need a measurement microphone and DSP multichannel DAC (or multichannel DAC/interface with such).
Things get complicated when you need a combined balanced/unbalanced DSP multichannel DAC or DAC or crossover because there isn't much (almost none, I only know of one combined analog crossover so far) of such to my better knowledge in existence. So if you want to go that path of balanced inputs only main power amplifier you better go with "pro" line subwoofer which have balanced inputs and DSP Flex balanced DSP for example. On the other hand you can go with a deacent unbalanced power amplifier with very good autended input lines like for example Yamaha A-S 700 (if you can still find one from old stock, I can) or go with a modern one which also have unbalanced inputs (and very high dB rating on input). Balanced will ensure higher input level autendence in most cases (mention Yamaha is rated 110 dB for example on unbalanced and more balanced one's usually only matches it tho there are and greatly done balanced one's with 120~124 dB rating...) and that you won't have ground loops. Choice is of course on you.
Best regards and have a nice time.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
May I suggest ...

A Topping DX5 Lite and ...

Adam Audio T7V monitors with an Adam Audio T10V sub,

or ...

Kali Audio LP6 V2 with a Kali AudioWS6.2 sub, depending on the space between your desk and the front wall

Top Bottom