• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fight Club: New Forum Created and New Policy (please read)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hello everyone. In the last week or two the direction of the forum has changed. We went from fun and informative discussions to pretty severe food fights derailing good discussions. I like to get us focused on what got us started.

To that end, I have created a new forum per good suggestion from a couple of members called, "Fight Club." http://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?forums/fight-club.31/

As the name indicates, that forum is spectator sport. You want to go into the ring and argue, you can. Just know that getting punched is part and intent of being there. Short of violating TOS, you can argue all you want about audio and neither party has a recourse to management to do anything. While I expect everyone to be professional and polite, violating that will not get management involved. We simply are not going to police that forum closely.

Outside of the Fight Club forum, such arguments will not be tolerated. The focus must be on fun and learning with strong compass of audio science and engineering guiding us.
If you want to challenge those things, you need to go to the fight club. Otherwise you may receive a sanction and/or the thread moved to fight club. If you questions on what this means, ask me in this thread. Such questions do not belong elsewhere.

I have moved two such recent debate threads there already.

For membership, you can ignore fight club if such debates bothers you.

This is a new experiment and one not done before. I hope you all work with me to make it work and return the forum to an information-rich and happy place for people to come and visit and participate.

Thanks,
Amir

Last edited:

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
And remember, no one is to speak of Fight Club outside of the forum, not even with family or friends.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
First rule of fight club, decent film apart from the utterly ridiculous ending.
Keith.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Hurrah! Amir please enforce this policy. In the last week or so newcomers to the forum have crapped all over every encouraging science thread and spoiled them for everyone, specially myself. I came here mainly to listen and learn from you guys here with a heavy objective tech background and get away from the BS rhetoric that makes other forums useless.
TIA,
Sal

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
A are you going to be referee, are we going to have judges awarding points?
Can each fighter have a corner man, with a bucket and razor blade?
Finally if Opus and Kenny are fighting it could be extremely long and tedious contest.
Keith.

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That could work, if the right people are automatically sent straight to Fight Club upon entry, regardless of which button they click. Otherwise, I have my doubts. They don't think they're fighting; they think they're making reasonable, scientifically sound arguments. They are, of course, wrong, but so are their arguments. Wrong won't slow them down a bit.

Here's an immediate problem: My own thread, which started here:

"...well, not until I find the speakers I'll upgrade to, but at some point, I need a DAC. Said DAC needs to either receive a wireless signal from a Mac, or take optical, USB or ethernet from my Apple TV. A remote volume control is a necessity, though good digital would be fine. And I'll probably need balanced XLR outputs. Oh, and bear in mind that I'm quite cheap :)."

Has been sent to Fight Club. These guys can make a Fight of anything. Enough negativity. I hope it works.

Tim

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Let's give it a bit of time Tim. I had to move your thread there because as you say, it immediately turned into fight club. If you like, I can recreate your thread where it was without the other posts.

Mivera

Major Contributor
The only problem with this is the guys who have the experience and the facts have an unfair advantage. How can everyone walk away with a gold ribbon in this type of environment?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
A handicap system is already in place, AJ is only allowed one AES Paper per round, Kenny and Opus only five deflections , rebuttals and non committal answers plus one completely fatuous subjective link, which they can play as a 'joker' at a time of their choosing.
Keith

Mivera

Major Contributor

Don Hills

Let's give it a bit of time Tim. I had to move your thread there because as you say, it immediately turned into fight club. If you like, I can recreate your thread where it was without the other posts.

That's a good idea, in my opinion. Also, there has to be a disincentive for thread crappers. Simply moving the thread is not a disincentive, in fact a thread crapper may well have the specific aim of causing the move. They perhaps need to be locked out of posting to any other thread than the "crapped" one for a period of time.

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
That's a good point. It would great if there were a way for Amir to use his sovereign discretion to allow the thread "crappers" to keep posting but their posts only appear in the fight club. Meanwhile the main thread remains intact in its usual place. Sort of like two threads at once. Maybe that's too complicated.

That's a good idea, in my opinion. Also, there has to be a disincentive for thread crappers. Simply moving the thread is not a disincentive, in fact a thread crapper may well have the specific aim of causing the move. They perhaps need to be locked out of posting to any other thread than the "crapped" one for a period of time.

Phelonious Ponk

Fair enough, Amir. Let's give it a shot. But it's going to take a lot of hall monitoring.

Tim

Top Bottom