• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fight Club: New Forum Created and New Policy (please read)

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
1. We can get used to it, and besides it's the color of dry blood...so it suits perfectly.
2. All is not fight though, some of it is "sound" ... science and fun/humor (happiness).
3. I noticed the enlargement of the youtube and vimeo videos; personally, I preferred like before (smaller)...and it was easy for us to make them bigger (2 more sizes).

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I made a quick change to the background color of Fight Club. It is not pretty but want to make sure people know which forum they are in. I will make it look nicer later :).

I'd look the to opening graphics in the credits of the TV series Dexter for inspiration.

Tim

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd look the to opening graphics in the credits of the TV series Dexter for inspiration.

Tim

Taking inspiration from Dexter might have been better all the way around. The psycopath forum might be the right name.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Tim
I have never watched Dexter! What is the opening graphics?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Never watched Dexter!
What have you been doing with your life!
It is him getting ready for work, slicing an orange, cutting bacon , tieing his shoes ,all with a sinister twist.
Keith

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Never watched Dexter!
What have you been doing with your life!
It is him getting ready for work, slicing an orange, cutting bacon , tieing his shoes ,all with a sinister twist.
Keith

I don't watch TV; you have some pics Keith? ...To demonstrate a good inspiration for a good design in this Fight Club section. :)

lateboomer

May be Amir you should disable any new posts from Fight Club shown in New Posts listing? I have read them and they are ugly. I don't see win-win situation and anyone participates loses, especially calling names. Despite that I do think each of them worth their salt in some way, so it couldn't be such bad that they want to bite each other head off.
Also only Amir has authority to move thread to Fight Club but don't allow anyone to create thread in it, to discourage this trend. The old and useless threads can be purged also from Fight Club.

If people have something amused to say or to poke fun at something, they can pose in general discussion, as long as discussion is cordial. The only good thing I can make out of Fight Club is to improve my English to see how people arguing. Oh boy your English guys are really argumentative types. That is why you English people follow adversarial system in trials to have fun in arguing while North Korea, China prefers Inquisitorial system. :p

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Color coding is a good suggestion but after spending an hour on it, I haven't found a simple fix. For now, if you are in Fight Club forum the thread titles will be red. And I have renamed all the threads to have "Fight Club" in their title. I will do that manually for now until I can find an automated way.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Color's perfectly fine Amir, and to have Fight Club words @ the beginning of each thread in that forum's section is a good move too.
It reminds everyone that respect is always numero uno, and that it is a unique and smart feature in an audio science review forum.

All the threads in the normal forum sections that you find objectionable, just transfer them all in the Fight Club section.
That doesn't mean it's a lesser section; to the opposite it's a learning section as well.

And just for fun, google: Fight Club Audio Science Review Forum.

Second entry:
What Have You Watched Recently? | Page 3 | Audio ...
audiosciencereview.com › ... › Movies and TV Shows

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Color coding is a good suggestion but after spending an hour on it, I haven't found a simple fix. For now, if you are in Fight Club forum the thread titles will be red. And I have renamed all the threads to have "Fight Club" in their title. I will do that manually for now until I can find an automated way.
I contend the most simple solution would have been to just ban the trollers. There's no mystery and you know who they are and why they came. ;)

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I contend the most simple solution would have been to just ban the trollers. There's no mystery and you know who they are and why they came. ;)
It is what we were all called on WBF in reverse. I am not happy about that so not going to go in that direction here. Without people opposing our point of view, there won't be motivation or ideas on topics. This forum will be an empty place if all we have are people who agree with each other.

And here is the practical aspect: there is only one of me. I can't police the membership, and constantly play the role of judge on who to ban and who not to ban. I want to focus my time on posting on technical and fun topics here. Members can join me and do that and live in peace and happiness. Or have angst over who is saying what in an online forum.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It is what we were all called on WBF in reverse. I am not happy about that so not going to go in that direction here. Without people opposing our point of view, there won't be motivation or ideas on topics. This forum will be an empty place if all we have are people who agree with each other.

And here is the practical aspect: there is only one of me. I can't police the membership, and constantly play the role of judge on who to ban and who not to ban. I want to focus my time on posting on technical and fun topics here. Members can join me and do that and live in peace and happiness. Or have angst over who is saying what in an online forum.

Okay viewpoint in one direction. But it is an example of my opinion that going slow initially to establish the forum culture you had in mind was a worthwhile startup method.

Instead just three or four people have invaded with only one purpose. It is not to learn about, share knowledge about or discuss audio science. It is to derail discussion of a kind they can't stand. With the small size of the forum they can spam the hell out of it. Spew forth BS faster than ten good people can retort reasonably. They have no intention to be otherwise. Quite simply they read the TOS and signed up for membership in bad faith. I am not big on banning, but members in bad faith who hope to kill your forum before it can get started deserve banishment.

IMO creating the fight club forum was for their benefit while ignoring your good faith members who have no desire, use or need for it.

These people are the audiophile equivalent of the Westboro Baptist Church Christians. Discussion and communication in fair terms is not part of the agenda nor is it possible.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
These people are the audiophile equivalent of the Westboro Baptist Church Christians. Discussion and communication in fair terms is not part of the agenda nor is it possible.
:)

You know, I have lived in many forums and played many of those roles. And have seen others play them just the same. I hope you give me some time to create a forum which we all desire. There are components that seem to not belong, but ultimately may. Take AJ. Read my interactions with him on AVS and HA forums and you would think we are each other's mortal enemy. Should I have stopped him from coming here? JK and I have been on both sides of the fence. Both supporters and again enemies. Opus is the same although not to the same extent. I know Fas42 as well. I know all of these people extremely well.

I am sure you have seen my technical audio articles on the home page. Almost every one of the ideas for them came from arguments on forums as heated if not more than what we have here. They gave me motivation to go and research the topic more and eventually write an article on them so that I don't have to repeat myself. I don't know how any of that would come about if all of us with the same point of view sat here and looked at each other.

Am I happy about Fight Club? No. As I said, I have ignored it. I was hoping that kind of energy would be put toward asking good questions, sharing music you love, bringing humor here, and presenting more knowledge like you did with your thread that is now in the Digital Library.

So let's give the tea some time to brew. If the forum doesn't seem to your liking, just read the home page with the articles being posted. That should be completely stress free. I hope the digital library over time becomes the cornerstone of what this site is about. The forum will just be an extension for "comments" and not where "work gets done."

GaryProtein

Fight Club
FIGHT CLUB, where being right always trumps wisdom. This forum has very broad borders as far as what goes. If you are easily distressed, do NOT participate or read this forum. Short of drawing blood, there will not be much moderation here. So pleased don't participate, get upset and ask management to do something about it.

The word should be "PLEASE"

I think the Fight Club is a great idea!

Top Bottom