• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EverSolo Z8 DAC & Amp Review

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 67 20.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 258 77.9%

• Total voters

Nutul

Thanks for answers guys!

I finally pulled the plug, and ordered the Eversolo/Zidoo Z8 from Audiophonics France.
Now just the Excruciating wait hahaha.;)

So. once you get it, tell us how you feel about it. Also, which gear you hook it to.

AdrianusG

Hi,

Good news!, I can pick it up today after work at a parcel shop near my home, i will hook it up and then probably just basically check it it works, not that much time on weekdays, especially evenings.

Then i'll have tomorrow evening and all of the weekend to play with it:)

i'll let you know afterwards.

Have a nice weekend.

AdrianusG

there's one thing i'm really curious about.

I have an old (22+ years) but good and still flawless working Sony CD player,
from the ES series, this is naturally connected to my pre-amp the analog way.

I'm going to connect it digitally by coax or opt.fiber to this new DAC then use it as a transport only, and let the Z8 do the number crunching as it were.
I'm really wondering if it would give be better SQ, everything else being equal.
DAC's are improved quite a bit in those 20 years, so who knows.

poxymoron

there's one thing i'm really curious about.

I have an old (22+ years) but good and still flawless working Sony CD player,
from the ES series, this is naturally connected to my pre-amp the analog way.

I'm going to connect it digitally by coax or opt.fiber to this new DAC then use it as a transport only, and let the Z8 do the number crunching as it were.
I'm really wondering if it would give be better SQ, everything else being equal.
DAC's are improved quite a bit in those 20 years, so who knows.
Measurably yes, audibly probably not.

AdrianusG

Measurably yes, audibly probably not.
You're probably right, unless the design of the internal DAC in the Sony or it's implementation was seriously flawed, however i never had that impression so far, but still, it doesn't hurt to experiment a little:)

AdrianusG

Well,

I have to say, regardless of sound-quality, package of this product is first rate, befitting (in my view anyway) much more expensive products.

I was very pleasantly surprised by it:)

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Yes build quality is excellent.
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Yes the total package,
IMG_2962.jpeg

Keith

Java Lu

I have Zidoo Neo Alhpa. Now I want a Eversolo too.
I wish Amirm could review for the Alpha, so I know where I am standing ;)

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Welcome Aboard @Java Lu . If you have one drop shipped to Amir he can test it and maybe have it back to you or returned within the 30 day return window. Contact Amir @amirm and ask him if his current workload will permit a rapid turnaround time. We rely on our members to send kit to Amir for testing. So if you really want to know for certain this is the only way. Good luck Sir!

AdrianusG

Hi ,

I believe the Neo Alpha has exactly the same DAC chip as the Z8,
i can't imagine it'l do any worse (as a DAC) then the Z8, perhaps even better, who knows:), anyways congratulations with the Neo Alpha.

AdrianusG

So. once you get it, tell us how you feel about it. Also, which gear you hook it to.
Hi,

I hooked up a Sony Mini Disk recorder (deck) via Optical, and a Sony CD player via Coaxial (both around 24 years old now) and a Lab top via USB, all works fine so far, also briefly tried BLue-tooth from my phone with Ldac, also works!

Recordings I made onto Mini-disk more then 20 years ago, some (digitally) copied from CD's , some analogue recordings straight from radio broadcasts and /or Vinyl recordings still play and sound amazing, say, similar to that of a really good tape deck, no (audible) distortions whatsoever.
Sadly this format, mini-disk went the way of the dinosaur, it was way better then at that time admitted.

I still have a small stash of empty disks,and it still all works fine:)

Nutul

Sadly this format, mini-disk went the way of the dinosaur, it was way better then at that time admitted.

I still have a small stash of empty disks,and it still all works fine:)
Don't tell me... I have about 30 empty disks of good (excellent?) quality, a MZ-NH900 and MZ-R91 both in mint condition.
I haven't tried them yet (need to see if actually, at least one of them offers optical out...)

ETA
Nope, none of them offer optical out... ;-(

Last edited:

AdrianusG

Don't tell me... I have about 30 empty disks of good (excellent?) quality, a MZ-NH900 and MZ-R91 both in mint condition.
I haven't tried them yet (need to see if actually, at least one of them offers optical out...)

ETA
Nope, none of them offer optical out... ;-(
I'll have to check,
Besides my Sony Mini Disc Deck I also still have a mobile player/recorder from sharp (Type 701 or 702) i believe, it for sure has optical in, but optical out i'm not so sure.

Nutul

I'll have to check,
Besides my Sony Mini Disc Deck I also still have a mobile player/recorder from sharp (Type 701 or 702) i believe, it for sure has optical in, but optical out i'm not so sure.
Yes, I checked also in the manuals and the optical in is there (probably to help CD => MD digital transfer) but the optical out is not, possibly to prevent MD => MD digital copies...
It's a shame, just for fun I wanted to connect a 25 yo digital marvel to a modern DAC... :)

AdrianusG

Yes, I checked also in the manuals and the optical in is there (probably to help CD => MD digital transfer) but the optical out is not, possibly to prevent MD => MD digital copies...
It's a shame, just for fun I wanted to connect a 25 yo digital marvel to a modern DAC... :)
"but the optical out is not, possibly to prevent MD => MD digital copies..."

yes probably for that reason.

ubik3000

Yep exactly:)

Really giving me a premium feeling so far.

Hooked it up yesterday, downloaded the asio driver, connected it via Jriver, everything worked fine so far, VU 4 is great!, extensive listening starts tonight:)
We are still waiting for the verdict.

Top Bottom