• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Entry Level AVR with 4ohm minimum impedance

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have any material on what KEF did other than KEF's advertising? I would like to read up on this as it seems interesting.
As far as I'm aware, KEF didn't publish any 'white papers' on the subject of Conjugate Load Matching. The technique certainly worked, as the impedance plots of the 104.2 (and also the 107) in reviews at the time, showed a remarkably flat characteristic at 4 ohms +- 0.25 ohms as I recall. The crossover boards in the 104.2 were very complicated, and presumably expensive, so perhaps KEF didn't want to give too much away in design details. Sad I think that they didn't continue with CLM, but commercially, if one's customers, and more importantly at the time, the magazines, didn't see it as an important innovation, then why bother?

S

3dbinCanada

As far as I'm aware, KEF didn't publish any 'white papers' on the subject of Conjugate Load Matching. The technique certainly worked, as the impedance plots of the 104.2 (and also the 107) in reviews at the time, showed a remarkably flat characteristic at 4 ohms +- 0.25 ohms as I recall. The crossover boards in the 104.2 were very complicated, and presumably expensive, so perhaps KEF didn't want to give too much away in design details. Sad I think that they didn't continue with CLM, but commercially, if one's customers, and more importantly at the time, the magazines, didn't see it as an important innovation, then why bother?

S

It appears that KEF was very much in the minority and that impedance swings is more than the norm. I believe PSB also produced a speaker with a constant impedance of 4 ohms as well but I dont remember the model. These are the exceptions rather than the rule.

tpeter

I tried a set of speakers (Polk lsi15) that are "quite" 4 ohm rated on my cheapo AVR I got recently. .(Yamaha Rx-v373) and despite all the naysayers, they worked fine, did not overheat, did not clip, or anything.

Was it the last word in perfection?.....No, but it almost seemed a non issue at the same time.
And yes I played them LOUD and avoided clipping and it was fine.

I think the 4 ohm worry is a bit overstated.
My Separates would go a bit higher with less stress, but for sure not fraught with danger with this Cheap AVR I tried it on.
glad i just read this, i have a 20 year old B&K AVR507 that handles my Polk Lsi 5.1 setup with ease, but now i was looking to upgrade to possibly the Denon 3700 and was scared it wouldnt handle the Polk Lsi Speakers. Did you have the full 5 Speaker Lsi Setup? I have the LSi15, LsiC, and the backs are the LsiFX

beagleman

Major Contributor
glad i just read this, i have a 20 year old B&K AVR507 that handles my Polk Lsi 5.1 setup with ease, but now i was looking to upgrade to possibly the Denon 3700 and was scared it wouldnt handle the Polk Lsi Speakers. Did you have the full 5 Speaker Lsi Setup? I have the LSi15, LsiC, and the backs are the LsiFX

I had (now gone) the Lsi 15s as Left and right, and the Lsic (still have) as my center. I did not run surrounds.

I also use a subwoofer, and had the bass crossed at 80hz.

I have also in the past ran the Lsi15 alone without sub on that AVR, and it still seemed fairly decent.

I guess my only point, was that some that have never even tried a cheap AVR, will assume it is worse than it is, from all the talk you see on audio forums.

The truth is more in the middle, not bad for sure, but not the final word on high output 4 ohm amplification.

3dbinCanada

If your not trying to fill a large room at very loud volumes, then you should be ok especially if you have the bass handled by a sub

Top Bottom