• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

oldmanhifi

Hi all!

Got the References today. Definitely a wider and more 3D soundstage from the 6.2 and a little less bright. Going to see how it goes after a few more days of listening.

I was curious if you guys use a subwoofer or not? I did with the 6.2s and they seemed to help counter the brightness of those, but now I'm on the fence as to whether these references need a sub.

EDIT: If anyone does use a sub with theirs, what are you crossing over at?
I use an SVS SB2000 Pro crossed over at 60 Hz with a 24 db/octave slope.
Hi all!

Got the References today. Definitely a wider and more 3D soundstage from the 6.2 and a little less bright. Going to see how it goes after a few more days of listening.

I was curious if you guys use a subwoofer or not? I did with the 6.2s and they seemed to help counter the brightness of those, but now I'm on the fence as to whether these references need a sub.

EDIT: If anyone does use a sub with theirs, what are you crossing over at?
I run the DBR62s full range along with an SVS 2000 Pro sub with the low pass crossover set to 60 Hz with 24 db/octave slope. This is what SVS recommends and it seems to work pretty well in my setup.

bokolobs

Just so we're all on the same page. We're talking about crossing them over at this without

So you had the 6.2s and upgraded to the reference too? There was a few Fleetwood Mac songs on vinyl that felt way more 3 dimensional on the references
No, man. I'm just commenting on their wide directivity. Sorry for the confusion, if there was any.

bokolobs

Looks like there's a new version of the Reference series on the way. Just saw an Elac's Instagram story featuring them with a "Coming Soon" caption. It also seems like they're using new woofer drivers–they don't look like the aramid fiber ones.

Livnmuskoka

I find tonality much better with the aramid/kevlar drivers over aluminum ones. For me it's one of the best qualities of the DBR-62's, and it's rare to have all the qualities of very good clarity, excellent tone, and mostly flat response, in any speaker. I find Revel's lacking in clarity and tone compared to others in their price ranges.
The Bryston Mini T's have excellent tone with their mids of aluminum/magnesium mix, so I have high hopes for the new Paradigm Founder 40B speakers to be a possible upgrade to the DBR-62's, if they measure well...
The only pure aluminum drivers that I've heard that beat the DBR-62's for realism start at the level of the Kef Reference 1's.

Pritaudio

nQmCpVw.png

Purchased these recently based on Amir's speaker listening tests. I'm waiting for my custom speakers to be assembled (2 month lead time), so I needed a budget speaker option decent enough til I receive them.

They were disappointing to say the least. I listened to them on-axis only, as I do all my speakers, and without the tweeter grills. I do have the original Elac B6 speaker. I was driving them with the Benchmark AHB2.

My immediate impressions were the lack of rhythmic drive, dynamic punch and attack. Then the lack of treble energy which overall made these speakers sound extremely dull.

I went back to the measurements Amir took to see if I could identify the problem and I see it's scooped in the 2.5khz-4.2khz region:

View attachment 117771

This confirms the laid-back and undynamic character of the sound I was hearing. I do hear quite a bit of a muffled sound. Drum hits don't have the power they should so drum kits sound like they are caked in mud but you can clearly hear the hi-hats.

With typical studio recordings where a singer is front in center, I can hear the vocals more present above the rest of the mix. But the instruments around and behind the singer are too muddy, not well outlined. Veiled with a smearing of poo. Bass was also one-note and indistinct at times, with much too early roll-off.

They are an exceptionally smooth, rounded sound that would be great for elevator music, smooth jazz, a capella. They simply do not have the bite, buzz, bark, crispness, snap, attack and growl that is necessary for pop/rock recordings to "pop" out of the speakers for an engaging listen. I actually found the original Elac B6 to have more drive and energy.

I cannot recommend these speakers. If you want this kind of sound, you could save half your money and pick up a pair of the Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2s.

lve thought that looking at the graphs.
I also think the focal aria 906 seemed to be flatter According to amirs measurements.
I’m not quite sure it is rated lower with his scoring system. Maybe additional distortion or something.
soundstage network measurements seem to be similar on the aria 906.
im considering getting these instead of Elac debut reference62.
can someone please explain where on the review data the aria 906 falls short of the elac.
regards.

Livnmuskoka

lve thought that looking at the graphs.
I also think the focal aria 906 seemed to be flatter According to amirs measurements.
I’m not quite sure it is rated lower with his scoring system. Maybe additional distortion or something.
soundstage network measurements seem to be similar on the aria 906.
im considering getting these instead of Elac debut reference62.
can someone please explain where on the review data the aria 906 falls short of the elac.
regards.

They are rated very similar, DBR-62's at 5.7 and Aria 906 at 5.6.
Maybe it's because of where the small dips and peaks are in the response that most people will enjoy the DBR-62's slightly more. After owning and hearing many higher end speakers I don't find the DBR-62's really lacking in anything, but they are currently in a brighter sounding room.
In a well treated room they might sound too laid back, but most homes built in the last 10 years or more are open concept with hardwood or tile floor with at least a few windows.
My Paradigm prestige 15B's sounded great in a few previous rooms that were better damped, but in this room I had to turn the treble down to -7.
The DBR-62's sound much more neutral in here, just borderline bright, and better tone makes up for slightly less clarity.

Last edited:

landobart

Newbie here. Love this forum. Backread this entire post.

Am I crazy to be considering selling my B&W CM8's for the DFR52? I recently bought a pair of DBR62's to test against my B&W's and wanted to see what the rage was about. I've really enjoyed them so far. Much warmer (maybe neutral?) then my CM8's. Easier to listen to for extended periods. I'm considering the floorstanders as a local rep is selling a pair for $650, yes $650 for 2 speakers new. The DBR62 is amazing, but definitely lacks the depth of even a 5" floorstanding speaker due to the cabinet size.