• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 Bookshelf Speaker Review (by EAC)

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
These retail for US$300/pair.
both1.png

both2.png

both3.png

both4.png

both5.png

both6.png

both7.png

both8.png

both9.png

both10.png

Erin's review:

Parting / Random Thoughts
As stated in the Foreword, this written review is purposely a cliff’s notes version. For details about the performance (objectively and subjectively) please watch the YouTube video. But a couple quick notes based on my listening and what I see in the data:

Overall impression of this speaker is that is quite nice. Is it perfect? No. But at $300/pair, it’s a really good performer. The only complaint I had with the speaker was the sound of “glare” in the upper midrange that looks to be caused by the 4-6kHz region. Something equalization can fix quite easily. Speaking of EQ, this speaker takes well to EQ given it’s relatively smooth ERDI. The only issue will be in the 2-4kHz region (due to the vertical directivity and some slight diffraction) but these are relatively minor so not a big deal in the grand scheme.

The only other aspect about this speaker that caught my attention is the compression. At even moderate output levels there is a sharp decline in the output of the speaker below 80Hz as you go from 76dB to 86/96/102dB. I did verify this was not an issue with my measurement setup and I verified the compression results are the same on both speakers in the pair. Luckily, the compression is low enough in frequency that it can be remedied with a proper subwoofer if you have the need to get quite loud.
update:
video review

---------
Yes, it's the same one Amir reviewed previously:
CEA2034.jpg

Discuss!

Last edited:

beaRA

The spins seem to track pretty well until 10kHz where Amir's sample is already falling off and Erin's is a bit more neutral in the listening window.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really, another remake by EAC? How many do we need?

Since it is Amir’s site, only seems appropriate to mention he already reviewed. :cool:

P.S. Apologies @sweetchaos, missed that you already mentioned the redundancy.

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The spins seem to track pretty well until 10kHz where Amir's sample is already falling off and Erin's is a bit more neutral in the listening window.
Thanks! This is more useful to me than the full post and then spending time comparing the reviews. :)

Teeter

It is funny why people say they don't like this speaker or like that speaker, with NO explanation. I must say I really like the DB 6.2 in MY HOME INTERTAINMENT SYSTEM. Movies sound great in my 8 X 12 HT room. I also listen to internet music using the Multi-Channel selection and these speakers are music to my ears too. My test is Piano music, and my AVR does a nice job across the board.

Those that are strictly music lovers, may have a cheap amp like $500 vs a $3000. Then they may not have EQ capabilities either. It is also in the selection of the music these folks play that the ear can hear or not. Some speakers maybe shouty, neutral, or no base.

Just saying folks, plus the fact, not everybody's ears are identical. Yes, it is very easy to say, "I don't like this." Why? Anyway, I get a kick out of members comments in this area. The bookshelf mains I have had were Klipsch, JBL, and now ELAC for MOVIE watching. The ELAC model I have, outperforms the other manufactures bookshelf models to my ears. All within my budget.

O, both reviews I have examined and 2 are better than one.

Brab

I've listened to this speaker for a few hundred hours now. There is something artificial sounding about them as if they had some kind of permanent receiver special effects. I listen almost exclusively to classical music, and whereas you can identify the instrument playing, they don't really sound like the instrument. How this correlates with the measurements I have no idea. In my experience, all small speakers in this price range are not surprisingly quite compromised., I wish I could find a speaker that gave a small scale but natural sound at this price.

Reactions: L7R

MLaranjeiras

Recently, I purchased a pair of Paradigm Premier 200B and put them in comparison with the ELACs, that cost 30% of the Paradigm. Paradigm have a more refined sound, while ELAC are more muscular, with their unbeatable bass response. No idea about sophisticated stuff like soundstage etc. Put it simple, more refinement vs more punch. I do not have reasons to discard one or other. I will keep them on diferent rooms.

Attachments

• P_20221213_114449.jpg
    P_20221213_114449.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 83
  • P_20221213_113421.jpg
    P_20221213_113421.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 83
  • P_20221213_113514.jpg
    P_20221213_113514.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 77

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
One thing that the little ELACs do quite well (surprisingly well) is disappear when one listens to them. I am still not sold on their "tone" (I've pretty much forgotten about them since I got the Polk R200s) but they have dispersion characteristics, or something like that, which are quite impressive and modern.

JasonC331

Forum Donor
One thing that the little ELACs do quite well (surprisingly well) is disappear when one listens to them. I am still not sold on their "tone" (I've pretty much forgotten about them since I got the Polk R200s) but they have dispersion characteristics, or something like that, which are quite impressive and modern.
Yeah, these R series can make you forget a lot of other speakers!

Top Bottom