• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

E1DA Cosmos ADC

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
any idea of those frequencies in upper region ?
I recommend you REW FFT to measure the noise floor. You'll see something like this:
2023-12-15_13-18-21.jpg

Reactions: Skj

IVX

Major Contributor
After a short discussion, I made some simple passive LPF with not too bad parameters. If anybody has interest to DIY that, you are welcome

capslock

Just out of curiosity, why does the ADCiso have typically 3 dB lower 3rd harmonic than the ADC classic, as mentioned by IVX a couple of pages ago?

About the low noise power pack Xiaomi PLM18ZM recommended by IVX, it does not seem to be available in Europe or is branded differently. It is listed on Aliexpress, but that shop does not ship it to Germany (btw, E1DA Ali shop also still does not ship to Germany, but to France).

What are people using in Europe instead of the PM18ZM? I was thinking may using an analog regulator fed from 2 Li-ion cells or a 12 V lead acid battery might even be better than a power pack with a switch mode converter? Is there a need to feed Scaler, APU and ADC from separate batteries or can they all use the same unit?

IVX

Major Contributor
Just out of curiosity, why does the ADCiso have typically 3 dB lower 3rd harmonic than the ADC classic, as mentioned by IVX a couple of pages ago?

About the low noise power pack Xiaomi PLM18ZM recommended by IVX, it does not seem to be available in Europe or is branded differently. It is listed on Aliexpress, but that shop does not ship it to Germany (btw, E1DA Ali shop also still does not ship to Germany, but to France).

What are people using in Europe instead of the PM18ZM? I was thinking may using an analog regulator fed from 2 Li-ion cells or a 12 V lead acid battery might even be better than a power pack with a switch mode converter? Is there a need to feed Scaler, APU and ADC from separate batteries or can they all use the same unit?
I use a slightly modded frontend in ADCiso. Pls, try to search our discord regarding the powerbanks comparison, not too many but have some. Regarding the separated powerbank per unit, it is the best way to get the cleanest result, however, not necessary one, and it depends on your test room EMI conditions.

capslock

I use a slightly modded frontend in ADCiso. Pls, try to search our discord regarding the powerbanks comparison, not too many but have some. Regarding the separated powerbank per unit, it is the best way to get the cleanest result, however, not necessary one, and it depends on your test room EMI conditions.
Yes, discord. I used to read there but haven't in about one year. It's only a few days ago that I started looking at your products again. However, with the link, if first get an invite from you and when I click join it keeps telling me the invide cannot be accepted. It has been like this for about a week on different computers.

Edit: seems to be cookie related, as I don't get the message on a machine that I didn't have a yera ago. working on it.

Attachments

• Discord.PNG
    Discord.PNG
    58.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

swa2023

I was waiting for the Cosmos Scaler because of the low input impedance of the Cosmos ADC, and while the Cosmos APU solves this issue for 1kHz signal, I wanted to measure IMD, Multitone, etc. I finally got the Scaler and did a quick test. Let me share the results.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ts-and-measurements.37739/page-3#post-1328586

I measured two DACs with Cosmos Scaler and ADC (Grade B). One is TOPPING D30Pro (Balanced) which did not have any problem with the input impedance of Cosmos ADC. The other is an ES9023 based DAC board (SE), which had high level distortion at low input impedance. Below is a comparison of without Scaler, with Scaler 0dB, Scaler Auto and APU 1kHz notch (THD+N and 1kHz signal dBFS at 4.5V input range). The input range of Cosmos ADC was all 4.5Vrms, measured by Stereo mode of ADC (not MONO).
View attachment 308317

As you see, Cosmos Scaler reduced harmonics of the ES9023 DAC drastically. Without Scaler (Red) vs with Scaler 0dB (Green).
View attachment 308313

I was able to measure IMD (SMPTE 60Hz and 7kHz) either by 0dB or Auto settings of Cosmos Scaler.
View attachment 308315

While the Auto setting of Cosmos Scaler was unstable when measuring multitone. 0 dB (or fixed gain) worked fine.
View attachment 308316
I am satisfied with these results. Thank you @IVX for this nice variable gain input buffer.
Sorry to ask, does it mean APU preamp can't measure Sweep IMD, Multitone, etc?

staticV3

Master Contributor
It can, but only with low amplitude input signals as the preamp cannot be set to unity gain, only +34 or +60dB.

Bacek

IVX

Do you have any plans to add SPDIF output to ADC (officialy or by diy expansion)? I saw some attempts here to add it, but probably no one succesed with it.

oal

Forum Donor
As IVX answered correctly, the APU cannot be used for general multitone measurements. As stated in Cosmos APU's “Important notes”,
https://e1dashz.wixsite.com/index/cosmos-apu
there are four things the APU can do. a) measure THD+N at 1kHz or 10kHz with notch, b) measure DR/SNR with +34dB or +60dB preamp, c) rip vinyl with RIAA EQ d) use a Pro condenser mic with 48V power and preamp. I belive IVX did not design it for IMD or Multitone measurements.

IVX

Major Contributor
right, but actually, not a big deal to reduce notch F from 10k to 7k(original 10nF + 4.3nF C0G), and increase the input RC HPF cutoff from 1.5Hz to 100-300Hz(replace Elna 10uF to C0G 22nF). After that, you'll get an unprecedented precision meter of IMD ;)
PS: I just tried that and the trick doesn't work. APU needs an extremely high-Q notch to avoid affecting the intermods close to 7kHz. With/without 7kHz+300HzHPF IMD is the same -120db. I think, we can use the HPF only to dramatically reduce the ADC's IMD contribution(-120db in both cases, hence, Cosmos ADC residual IMD is much lower than 9039Q2M's IMD). The notch at 7kHz is useless, simply add a good quality 100nF in serial to Cosmos ADC inputs(reducing 60Hz for 20+db), and that's it.

2024-01-13_14-46-57.jpg

Last edited:

BKDad

REW ought to be able to correct for the low frequency roll-off with a Cal File, so the display would look nicer. ;)

Top Bottom