• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

E1DA Cosmos ADC

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
pkane, I can't understand that because REW, Arta, Spectraplus works just fine with Cosmos ADC, and they don't change the ADC volume as well(why need to do that?).

The OS often does without me asking it to. It's not about my software, that I already changed not to modify volume setting.

When I switch to Windows 8, for example, I often find my volume settings changed. Don't know why. This happens on a Mac, as well. So I'm often forced to debug why things are not working as expected, until I figure out that the volume control was moved for whatever reason.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly, so you'll see why one man, who designs the hardware and writes the current application, doesn't have time or the inclination to do more.

How about a suggestion - an addition to the current COSMO application that forces the unit to stay in a single mode regardless of volume? For example, 'Force Stereo' / 'Force Mono' / 'Volume Auto Select'?
That's what I suggested. No need for a new app, just a setting on the tweak app to defeat volume control behavior.

index.php

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
need for a new app, just a setting on the tweak app to defeat volume control behavior.

index.php
Well, while you're at it, that could be with 3 positions: Remote (linked to volume control, and default option), Mono and Stereo (which won't change whatever the volume control is).
This is doing the same, I guess, but more straightforward.
For me, I will never use the stereo mode (I have 2 E1DA ADC)

1231rq32r1qw32r

well, that's also an interesting point, some people ask me why the default(but actually it is Windows default) is MONO, they believe STEREO default is more reasonable.
I thought MONO is the best for measurement so would be better if MONO is the default.
I'd prefer stereo as default. Mono has caught me out a few times (as when monitoring it still looks and sounds like two channels)

1231rq32r1qw32r

That's what I suggested. No need for a new app, just a setting on the tweak app to defeat volume control behavior.

index.php

Ah! Apologies, I should pay more attention. I like this idea, but I wish the language was clearer. It should be 'stereo' and 'mono' in my opinion - no mention of volume or channels.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I prefer "channels" vs. "mono/stereo", perhaps because most measurement (test) equipment and pro components use that nomenclature, and it is more general in use. The volume defeat seems self-explanatory. Maybe there's a language barrier. :)

1ch = 1 channel = mono as a special case (e.g. could be one side of a stereo pair)
2ch = 2 channels = stereo as a special case (could be two independent channels, such as different channels in a multichannel setup)

The user interface is one of those things that will never satisfy everybody. Pick one and hope customers RTFM (as if).

Azrod

Would this signal chain be possible ?
2 SDC Mics >>> 2 E1DA Cosmos APU ( using preamp in and out) >>> Cosmos ADC >>> Computer >>> Combo DAC + Headphone amp
If yes, would it be better soundwise and specwise than audio interfaces like Rme babyface pro fs and Motu ultralite MK5 ?
Thanks in advance,

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
2 SDC Mics >>> 2 E1DA Cosmos APU ( using preamp in and out) >>> Cosmos ADC >>> Computer >>> Combo DAC + Headphone amp
If yes, would it be better soundwise and specwise than audio interfaces like Rme babyface pro fs and Motu ultralite MK5 ?
Thanks in advance,
If that will be possible :
This will very much be dependent of your use case.
A Neumann KM184, as an example, is 20dB more sensitive than a Shure SM58.
So the APU minimum gain of 34dB may even be too much for it, depending on the source level and mic position.

It will almost certainly NOT be better than a typical specialized sound interface in the caregory you listed.
These are very competent devices, and the ability to adjust accurately the Mic preamp gain will DESTROY any benefit that you may have in terms of raw performance from the ADC or APU preamp.

Last edited:

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Unlike an integrated audio interface, Cosmos ADC and DAC are not synchronized, which would need resampling in software. This would not necessarily be an audible issue, but high-quality resampling takes quite a bit of CPU power and bit-perfect playback from ADC is ruled out.

Last edited:

Azrod

My mics are Line audio CM4 which have a -42 dBV sensitivity compared to the 36 dBV of the Neumanns so 34 dB gain should be fine. Would a more simple 2 channel mic pre (DAV BG1, RME Quadmic, FMR RNP) be better than the audio interfaces I've listed ( still with the cosmos ADC )?

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
My mics are Line audio CM4 which have a -42 dBV sensitivity compared to the 36 dBV of the Neumanns so 34 dB gain should be fine. Would a more simple 2 channel mic pre (DAV BG1, RME Quadmic, FMR RNP) be better than the audio interfaces I've listed ( still with the cosmos ADC )?
don't forget that Cosmos ADC may accept 10Vrms, and Cosmos APU output as well, so, 10V/50=200mVrms is the mic's output clipping level.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I still think that's a good starting point.
If you have to select just a few gains, I'd still recommend 30dB and 60dB.

Don't forget microphones have sensitivity ranging from, roughly, 30mV / Pa for a typical large diaphragm condenser, down to 1mV/Pa for a low sensitivity dynamic or ribbon microphone. That's almost 30dB spread.
Not to speak about source's SPL, distance from source,...

Last edited:

1231rq32r1qw32r

Unlike an integrated audio interface, Cosmos ADC and DAC are not synchronized, which would need resampling in software. This would not necessarily be an audible issue, but high-quality resampling takes quite a bit of CPU power and bit-perfect playback from ADC is ruled out.

In macOS you can sync the clock of different devices.

Top Bottom