• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dutch & Dutch 8Cs

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Allowing an engineering led company that is producing one of the finest loudspeakers available today to be called ‘clowns’ on an open forum is acceptable do you think?
There are so many, so many more suitable targets Thomas.
Keith
Yes I mentioned that as being “ unfair “ in my original post. However that’s not a personal insult towards you. It reads as a little over zealous , so it condemns itself Keith and really your best defence was just to highlight a old fashioned way of doing things vs a new.

We move on.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Well, I used to have Tag Mclaren gear. Lots of DSP unreplaceable board. They went out of business but the gear kept working. I sold it after about 15 years, maybe 2 years ago. I wonder if its still going?
Umm, more reliable than a McLaren F1 car then .

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
John Mulcahy ( REW) and member of this forum was I believe the technical director for Tag McLaren.
Keith

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That would be fine if they were priced as disposable, but they are not. Not remotely. In terms of components and materials, there's not even $2k in parts in them (pr), so people are paying stupid money for something peddled as the 'best' with a massive component being the IP, the 'development', the software etc.

The modern way eh? I call it BS. Sony didn't charge you for 5 years worth of developing the CD format in the 1st generation models, they sold them at a loss for the first 12 months to establish the format. These clowns are trying to make up their entire R&D budget, a few overseas holidays and a new car on one model of speaker aimed at deep-pocketed and ignorant audiophiles, simply because they know, there may never be another model to recoup costs on.

Remember Keith, this is the open forum, not the desperate dealers section. Bring some facts to the table. These things are AU$16,167 just on exchange rates alone (no freight) and that's just stupid money for what they contain.

There's more than $2K of parts in these speakers, and your musings on the development of the CD format by Sony are irrelevant to a product that does not involve a new media format and has a small addressable market.

There is a contingent of users here who want everything to be priced at the cost of parts plus perhaps a tiny margin, and with respect to Dutch & Dutch, you have joined that contingent.

Why Accuphase's wildly expensive gear does not invite your wrath is a mystery. I guess that if I wanted an obsolete, underpowered Accuphase integrated amp from 1972 repaired, I could pay Accuphase for the parts, but why would I want to? Does that make a new Accuphase integrated amp worth $7,000?

If you'd be happier using Sony gear from the '80s, then please enjoy yourself, by all means. Those of us who are interested in superior technology in sound reproduction have moved on.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know of only one High Fidelity company in the world that can still supply parts for any and all of its products since their inception in 1972. That company is Accuphase.
Do they hold a stock of cd transports for old models?

mitchco

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
That is an interesting thread from first inception to fruition.
keith

matthijs

Strange that I've not seen 1.3.12 being installed. I tend to keep the speakers on 24x7 and wonder if I need to turn off / on to initiate some form of search for the upgrade. Any ideas?
There have been rare cases in the past where updates get stuck until the next boot, so if your speaker is on 24/7 and appears stuck on an old firmware version, it is definitely worth power-cycling them once to see if that fixes things.

andrew

There have been rare cases in the past where updates get stuck until the next boot, so if your speaker is on 24/7 and appears stuck on an old firmware version, it is definitely worth power-cycling them once to see if that fixes things.

Thanks - yes, power cycling the speakers sorted out the firmware upgrade and, as mentioned earlier in this thread, the on-board web-server feature is great. I'm excited about the (hopefully 2019) releases with Roon Ready certified firmware, native app and sub-woofer output support.

asiano

Considering either the 8c or the Kii Three speakers. The Kii's have custom stands for the Three's. What stands would you recommend for the 8c's? I want to ensure that they are stable as they are rather large and heavy. I reside in the US.

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Considering either the 8c or the Kii Three speakers. The Kii's have custom stands for the Three's. What stands would you recommend for the 8c's? I want to ensure that they are stable as they are rather large and heavy. I reside in the US.

I had Skylan Stands in Canada build custom four-pillar stands for the 8Cs. Very inert and nicer-looking than Sound Anchors. Cost around $500, and they fit the speakers perfectly.

asiano

I had Skylan Stands in Canada build custom four-pillar stands for the 8Cs. Very inert and nicer-looking than Sound Anchors. Cost around $500, and they fit the speakers perfectly.
Thanks for the information. The models on their website look really nice. How high are your stands and what are the dimensions of the top plate?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
This would have been far more interesting if Darko had been holding the camera and Martijn talking hey ho.
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
This is interesting, Martijn Mensink talking about the 8C

Keith

Top Bottom