• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cardioid versus non-cardioid!

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Cardioid versus non-cardioid response.
I have been convinced of the benefits of a cardioid response since I compared Dutch&Dutch’s 8Cs ( C for cardioid) and their 8M ( monopole) loudspeakers, same enclosure ,same drivers, but the 8Cs have a cardioid response through the mid-range producing -24dB to the back and sides of the loudspeaker.
The 8Cs were just that bit clearer, just allowed you to hear a little more into the recording and measurements taken with REW corroborated much tidier response through the mid-range region.
Dutch&Dutch no longer make the 8M , but Sigberg Audio do make the dual cardioid, 4-way ‘Manta’ and they make the SBS.1 another four way, another co-axial mid/treble driver and dedicated mid bass driver but no cardioid response .
I thought it might be interesting to compare again cardioid versus non -cardioid.
Set up is two Eversolo streamers connected via USB to my Roon ‘Nucleus’ and then XLR out to the two sets of speakers.
IMG_3520.jpeg
IMG_3522.jpeg

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I just want to make it clear that no records were harmed in the making of this comparison.
So level matched with pink noise and I realise they aren’t the exact same speakers, but they are are both,
four ways, coax mid/treble dedicated mid bass .
So does cardioid work, yes it most certainly does.
I will have a longer listen tomorrow, maybe re-position the two pairs of speakers, disconnect all the subs.
Open to suggestions as to how to make the comparison more valid?

Keith

Reactions: MKR

MKR

Major Contributor
I just want to make it clear that no records were harmed in the making of this comparison.
So level matched with pink noise and I realise they aren’t the exact same speakers, but they are are both,
four ways, coax mid/treble dedicated mid bass .
So does cardioid work, yes it most certainly does.
I will have a longer listen tomorrow, maybe re-position the two pairs of speakers, disconnect all the subs.
Open to suggestions as to how to make the comparison more valid?

Keith
Care to share a bit more detail? Meaning, what specifically makes you come to the conclusion that “cardioid works”? Measurements or subjective listening impressions? Of course you don’t have to convince me, but may be helpful for others that have not directly experience cardioid design. And you haven‘t truly experienced cardioid until you have heard it implemented down to 40Hz, just sayin :)

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Yes I have had Kii/BXTS you know, although they didn’t blow my socks off
M it is just clarity, images are just more clearly defined, more concrete it’s just more believable it’s as though you can hear for example the space behind the vocal if that makes sense?
To use that old audiophile chestnut , the effect is not subtle.
Keith

MKR

Major Contributor
Yes I have had Kii/BXTS you know, although they didn’t blow my socks off
M it is just clarity, images are just more clearly defined, more concrete it’s just more believable it’s as though you can hear for example the space behind the vocal if that makes sense?
To use that old audiophile chestnut , the effect is not subtle.
Keith
I have heard the Kii, but not with the BXT, not impressed. Do you need the BXT to have cardioid below mids, or are the monitors capable n their own?

And yup, those are also my subjective observations on cardioid, well said. I would also add that low frequencies are (much) more natural/real

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have heard the Kii, but not with the BXT, not impressed. Do you need the BXT to have cardioid below mids, or are the monitors capable n their own?

And yup, those are also my subjective observations on cardioid, well said. I would also add that low frequencies are (much) more natural/real
Yes Kiis only cardioid in the mids, I think that cardioid verses monopole question is probably quite interesting, I await someone clever to explain the pros and cons to me.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
This morning , I have level matched with pink noise and an SPL meter and disconnected the two Sigberg D10subwoofers ( dual opposed 10” drivers) from the Mantas and the two Inkognito subs ( one 12” driver in a pizza box configuration.
The two Sigberg speakers the SBS.1 the small ones and the Mantas, the larger speaker with the cardioid slots) are designed to only extend down to 80Hz , coaxial mid/treble and dedicated mid-bass 8” on the Manta 6.5” on the SBS.
Both speakers ‘must’ be used with subs for a full-range response off-loading bass duties solely to the subs hugelydecreases distortion in the mains, both Sigberg designs have real punch and body.
Pitured is the Sigberg ‘Inkognito’ 12” subwoofer in upright position driver against the wall, the shallow depth of the Inkognitos makes them much easier to hide in a room they could for example be placed under the sofa or even used as a low table.
IMG_3450.jpeg

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I wrote up my cardioid versus non cardioid conclusions in the Purité Audio ‘BLOG’.
No cats this week, so set expectations to lower than usual.

Keith

MKR

Major Contributor
I wrote up my cardioid versus non cardioid conclusions in the Purité Audio ‘BLOG’.
No cats this week, so set expectations to lower than usual.

Keith
It is precisely because there are no cats in this one that I have decided to read your blog

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
24 woofers!
I will have to read up on line sources.
Keith

Top Bottom