• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dutch & Dutch 8Cs

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the reply and indeed this would make sense for the lower part of the frequency spectrum. Applying the Toole curve would also include to attenuate the highs by a bit, if I get it correctly.

As i am not just listing but also mixing music on the 8c‘s, i am trying to find a setting wich translates best on other systems as well. In case someone has an idea how to achieve this, I would be really happy to know.

Cheers
Are you using them in the nearfield? I can see flat being applicable used like they.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the a/bing is really hard for me as I have to separately change the settings and that’s why I would love to start at a suggestion and do changes from there
I don't understand why you cannot create different configs in the app and swap been them as music is playing.

Nils030

I don't understand why you cannot create different configs in the app and swap been them as music is playing.
Yes I use them as nearfield and my router is quite far so I need to get another cable to make changing the configs easy. Nonetheless as wrote before, there are people who already tried a lot of curves, configs and have more experience than me in room correction so I guess the forum is the best place to ask and share those right?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Yes I use them as nearfield and my router is quite far so I need to get another cable to make changing the configs easy. Nonetheless as wrote before, there are people who already tried a lot of curves, configs and have more experience than me in room correction so I guess the forum is the best place to ask and share those right?
Have you read,

Keith

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
As i am not just listing but also mixing music on the 8c‘s, i am trying to find a setting wich translates best on other systems as well. In case someone has an idea how to achieve this, I would be really happy to know.
The 8C's are quite accurate speakers. I would recommend a "flat" setting, IE one that sounds most like the mic feeds to you.
Let the listeners EQ to taste.
JMO

Nils030

Thanks for the answers!

Yes I was reading the paper of Dutch &Dutch before but wanted to get more insights as I felt it was more written to keep things simple for private users.

Regarding measuring the speakers together or on its own.. this is Martijn‘s take on it:

„What I usually do is first EQ both individually, by matching their responses to the same target curve. Next I measure the two EQ'd 8c's together and then manually only address any peaks that might result from the interaction between the two. Usually that's one or two filters with a small gain. I don't change the overall shape of the curve of the combined measurements, and I don't address any remaining dips.“

Regarding the response curve, I asked a mastering engineer about his house curve with the 8c‘s and he boosted the subs by 1db and the lows by 0,5db, the rest stays flat.

youngho

Also Dutch & Dutch recommends to not apply a house curve like from Toole and aim for a flat curve, wich seems also a bit odd to me.
I don't think the two are in disagreement at all. Toole does not specifically recommend a house or target curve (he discusses the issue here: http://www.aes.org/e-lib/download.cfm/17839.pdf?ID=17839 and here: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/of...theater-thread.2515137/page-168#post-57820394). Both basically argue for equalization up to the transition zone (likely 300-400 Hz, depending on the size the room) with some degree of rising bass (D&D's recs are pretty much in line with the "trained listeners" curve below the transition zone), then tone controls can be used for individual preference and specific program material (https://support.dutchdutch.com/adaptive-1-roommatching-2-voicing/, also Toole's comments in previous links).

Top Bottom