• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dutch & Dutch 8c Review

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I know that distortion isn't that important at a reasonable distance and room size, but we're talking about $10k speakers (studio version?). The 1% H3 at the crossover point shows the woofer crying, I still wonder why they didn't went with a 4-way system and maybe less exotic drivers; especially to fight the sadly not measured IMD.
Anyway, thanks a lot Erin, this is a very nice review with what really interests us and without the fluff. Another question that probably has meaning seeing the very horn-like waveguide: any hiss?

Also, I wondered before this review if the cardioid pattern extended to the vertical plane too, as the slots aren't here, but surprisingly, it does!

Last edited:

changer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi Erin, please think about providing easily comparable distortion representation in relation to what amir produced until now. I cannot do the math in my head in order to compare both sorts of graphs on the fly, I am dumb. So I will never correctly follow the lines of the two different diagrams. Maybe, both of you could introduce some cooperative standardization process in order for to make it easier to compare all the speakers measured with klippel devices. Pesonally, I think the value of your huge investment should all turn out as your personal enjoyment (what else?) and your presonal preference of representation, but still: I will struggle to compare measurement representation sort a with sort b and as the consumer that I am in this situation, this is in a way frustrating. Maybe your chart is technically 'better', more to someones taste or anything, but I would be glad to be able to easily compare. But you may rightfully say I am spoiled, and I will be okay with it. In any case, thanks for all your efforts.

What happens with 3rd order harmonic distortion with this speaker, actually? Is it audible or still completely masked by the fundamentals?

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 8C. No question, assuming one is willing to take the risks of long-term reliability and long-term viability of D&D. I'm still wrestling with these questions myself.
I knew I was taking a risk when I bought mine three years ago (!) now, when I was one of the earliest customers to get these speakers. I've been impressed by everything I've seen from D&D since, and my sense is that Martijn Mensink has a level of business acumen uncommon in this industry.

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Incredible speaker and outstanding first NFS review, Erin! :D

Mic drop...;)
ezgif-6-3eb9a9e85b2c.gif

Also, I noticed all of your images are now hosted on dropbox.
Have you solved the bandwidth issue from your hosting provider by doing this?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@hardisj thanks for the great review of a really interesting speaker. One question is did you happen to take any REW measurements at your listening position like you did with the F226BE. It would be interesting.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Hi Erin, please think about providing easily comparable distortion representation in relation to what amir produced until now. I

I say Amir should change his plots. ;)

I will compromise. I will include those plots here on this site but I will not include them in my review on my site. I just don’t want to have three plots essentially showing the same thing. I will post them up when I get a chance.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Also, I noticed all of your images are now hosted on dropbox.
Have you solved the bandwidth issue from your hosting provider by doing this?

I am hoping so. But I don’t know how it will work out long-term. This is kind of a shotgun effort to reduce those costs. Especially if I want to provide high resolution graphics which I think are helpful.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
@hardisj thanks for the great review of a really interesting speaker. One question is did you happen to take any REW measurements at your listening position like you did with the F226BE. It would be interesting.

I did but my UMIK-1 seems to be faulty. I compared it to another set of speakers that I measured previously and there is a drastic HF roll off that should not be there. Just one more item on my list of things to resolve.

beren777

I am hoping so. But I don’t know how it will work out long-term. This is kind of a shotgun effort to reduce those costs. Especially if I want to provide high resolution graphics which I think are helpful.

Where were you storing graphics previously? Amazon S3 + Cloudfront is usually pretty cheap, for example.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A long awaited review, and, to my knowledge, the first published 2034 spin. Everything, save the distortion figure, looks superlative as expected.

Now, do I wanna bust open my piggybank?

Top Bottom