• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dual Stereo Subwoofers in multichannel system

detlev24

[...] But I agree, these solutions can be finicky to set up, hard to debug and kinda at the mercy of how good the audio drivers are. used in the interactions. I use ASIO exclusively if I can... Also one windows update or another app update can stop things from working and back to hard to debug.
I guess the sheer variety of different hardware and driver configurations makes it incredibly hard on a Windows/Linux/BSD etc. based workstation or server, to have guaranteed reliability for such, I would say, rather niche applications. As you said, a single, well-hidden variable (hardware and/or software) could make the difference between success or failure to run a specific application.

This is probably the only real advantage I see on MacOS based systems; as maintenance should be a lot easier for developers [within other restrictions, that come with such a closed environment].

Thank you for the link! I will certainly try to watch the video completely - in several sessions. :)

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, i need your help, guys. Right now i have 5.1 system, but i plan to upgrade it to 7.2. And i want stereo bass.
I was thinking about buying Denon AVR-X3600H AV Receiver. If i understand right it have 2 sub out, which you can equalize independently, but it will still be mono bass, right? Also i was wondering, since its pre amp have 12 channels can i use 2 channels for my needs? I do not need more than 7 speakers.

What i want is this:
FL,SL,RL=>LSUB
FR,SR,RR=>RSUB
C,LFE=>Both LSUB and RSUB

I will be using Windows PC as audio source. I'm using EqAPO to equalize + do crossover, i.e. redirect bass from 5 speakers to 1 sub. And i can easily redirect bass from 5 speakers to 2 subs, but this will take additional channel, which is meant for back speakers.

I'm basically asking about digital crossover hardware that wont take up additional channels. I can also redirect bass from all speakers to, say, front, so i just need a stereo configurable crossover, although, i think that it will be better if crossover could filter all channels.

So i want your advice about stereo bass and how to make it all work, will receiver be enough? Recommend me buy some digital crossover/processor? Maybe diy? Something else?

PS. I have only bookshelf speakers therefore they cant play bass and buying floorstanding is out of question because i do not have enough space. I was also thinking about passive crossovers, but they turned out to be quite expensive and they create some nulls in frequency response.

Hello Mishaiger,

If you would be interested, please visit my thread where I am using two of sub-woofer YAMAHA YST-SW1000.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...oftware-crossover-and-multichannel-dac.12489/

I am currently using DAC8PRO's nice headphone out (RCA unbalanced) into two of YST-SW1000 as described at;
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ssover-and-multichannel-dac.12489/post-420921

or, RCA unbalance line from a second DAC which is in sync with the primary DAC8PRO by AES/EBU connection between the two DACs;
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ssover-and-multichannel-dac.12489/post-440984

One of my audio enthu friends in Japan is planning to use two of DAC8PRO in sync manner to enable 16-channel (stereo 8-way) multichannel system. I heard he has already placed his order for two DAC8PROs at the OKTO Research site.

Last edited:

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
A simple thing, but not a whole solution would be to use high level connection from Front speakers (or front amps) to subs. You would then get
FL-Lsub
FR-Rsub
All other channels would be bass managed from AVR.
So you would get some stereo bass from subs and probably where it matters most in front speakers (if this matters at all).
But bass management has been working really well in AVRs for a long time. When you hear an explosion in the rear channels, there is bass in the rear to accompany it, even though there are some small speakers for rears. Or left and right. Higher frequencies of the event, which are in charge of localization tell you where, and bass just fills it and you have an illusion that bass is left or right, up or down.

Top Bottom