• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DT 900 PRO X Review | These new Beyerdynamic headphones are excellent!

Cuckoo Studio

Reviewer
Welcome to Cuckoo Studio's review. I am Anzol. You will be watching this headphone review from the perspective of a mixing engineer.I have received the Beyerdynamic DT 900 PRO X headphones from Caleb, appreciate his support of the channel. Let's take a look at how the new Beyerdynamic headphones perform.

DT 900 PRO X_2.38.1.jpg

Below is the text and image content. If you prefer video version:

The DT 900 PROX is openback design. The appearance has abandoned the classic design of the previous generation.

These new Beyerdynamic headphones are excellent! DT 900 PRO X Review 2.mov_20230105_125109.248.png

The model identifier is debossed in a glossy finish, and the black body feels very unified. These are all modern representations of the new series.

These new Beyerdynamic headphones are excellent! DT 900 PRO X Review 2.mov_20230105_125146.612.png

These new Beyerdynamic headphones are excellent! DT 900 PRO X Review 2.mov_20230105_125241.771.png

The headband feels very sturdy. The padding is made by imitation leather, and the ear cups are similar with previous generation product, made of velour material.

DT 900 PRO X_2.9.1.jpg

DT 900 PRO X_2.7.1.jpg

The body weight is about 344g, which is moderate. The actual wearing feels just right for me in terms of tightness.

DT 900 PRO X_2.8.1.jpg

On the inside of the left and right identification plates, there is also a plastic plate decoration with the Beyerdynamic’s new "Y" logo.

DT 900 PRO X_2.10.1.jpg

The new series has finally changed to a replaceable wire design. The quality of the wire is also quite high, and the pivot design is no longer easy to pinch the fingertips. These new series details give me a similar feeling of mid-end DT 1990 PRO.

DT 900 PRO X_2.11.1.jpg

DT 900 PRO X_2.12.1.jpg

Let's take a look at its sound performance.

Frequency response. Using the Harman 2013 target with no preference for low-frequency gain, the DT 900 PRO X can maintain a fairly flat playback from 20-2000 Hz. There is a slight attenuation in the range of 3000-4000 Hz, but it is kept within a very small 3 dB. There is a 5-6 dB high-frequency gain above 5 KHz. The sound of the DT 900 PRO X is almost flat but slightly bright. Compared to the high-frequency gain of the old Beyerdynamic, it has been very well controlled.

DT 900 PRO X_7.3.1.jpg

DT900PROX freq.jpg

Distortion. At a normal sound pressure level of 86 dB for listening to music, the DT 900 PRO X maintains a very low level of distortion. Except for the slightly higher low frequency distortion that is typical of many dynamic structure diaphragm, everything is very clean above 100 Hz. When the sound pressure is raised, there is a more obvious second harmonic distortion around 1500 Hz and 3400 Hz on the data. However, the distortion magnitude is still very small. The other harmonic distortion beyond the second harmonic remains at a very low level.

DT 900 PRO X_7.4.1.jpg

DT 900 PRO X_2.16.1.jpg

DT 900 PRO X_2.17.1.jpg

Let's enter the Cuckoo Studio mixing space. The flat curve from the mid to low frequencies allows the most important instrument fundamental frequencies and main harmonic content to be played back accurately. There is no bass roll-off, so the bass is played back in full. The gain above 5000 Hz gives a slightly increased sense of sibilance sounds, and high-frequency percussion, but the DT 900 PRO X's instrument spatial sense is still reasonable. The left and right units have good symmetrical in the level difference between units. There are no noticeable skew problems aside from the variables in wearing the headphone, which makes the center imaging solid.

DT 900 PRO X_7.5.1.jpg

DT 900 PRO X_2.18.1.jpg
DT 900 PRO X_2.19.1.jpg

Looking at the side graph, the distortion at 86 dB does not cause a sense of compression or sound contamination on the listening feel. The transient details of the song will not be smeared in any way. Ignoring the data, the DT 900 PRO X has a relatively more solid actual listening feel compared to the HD600 in the same price range. The instrument playback has a relatively more straightforward mid to high-frequency performance.

DT 900 PRO X_2.27.1.jpg
DT 900 PRO X_2.28.1.jpg

Overall, the DT 900 PRO X almost solves all the cons of the previous generation. From the build quality to the sound playback, I have a hard time finding any problems. This is a headphone product that has been carefully improved based on user's feedback. This makes it a top choice for headphones in the 150-300 USD price range, and it can also compete with the classic HD600 headphones in the same price range.

DT 900 PRO X_2.39.1.jpg

DT 900 PRO X_2.40.1.jpg

This is Cuckoo Studio review. Please stay tuned. I will continue to explore the secret of headphones with you.

Attachments

• DT 900 PRO X_2.14.1.jpg
    DT 900 PRO X_2.14.1.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 4,592
  • These new Beyerdynamic headphones are excellent! DT 900 PRO X Review 2.mov_20230105_125031.134.png
    These new Beyerdynamic headphones are excellent! DT 900 PRO X Review 2.mov_20230105_125031.134.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 294
Last edited:

RoA

I just bought the 700 Pro X after listening to both. I am sure the 900 Pro X is more accurate but I did enjoy the 700 more.

Brianc

Any thoughts on the 3 pin XLR connector? It might be my biggest negative on the 700x. Its size causes the cable to hit my collar bone area when the headband ajustment is maxed out. Pretty annoying. (if you look at my profile pic note how the left cable on Peter's Koss cans rides above his collar before resting naturally on the chest. On the Beyers the cable goes straight down from the earcup).

RoA

Any thoughts on the 3 pin XLR connector? It might be my biggest negative on the 700x. Its size causes the cable to hit my collar bone area when the headband ajustment is maxed out. Pretty annoying. (if you look at my profile pic note how the left cable on Peter's Koss cans rides above his collar before resting naturally on the chest. On the Beyers the cable goes straight down from the earcup).

Not an issue for me at all. Maybe I just am goose necked.

L7R

Beyerdynamic hurt many's ears, it's a hard no no
These will not. It took beyerdynamic, what...almost hundred years to get rid of that freaking spike and do a flat low to mid FR. They did correct a lot more with this model. The whole headphone is NEW -from start to finish. I think they did their first "all-around-perfect" -headphone. It sure is not for everyone, there is no headphone for everyone. But, to me, it is at good as it gets. It fits for so many usage. Hi-fi, studio, gaming, even portability is good, because it's low impedance.

It is perfect for studio use. very few open headphones have flat low frequency response to the 20hz (sadly 900pro X will not have flat response in amir's equipment, but it is another story). There is Ollo S4X ver1.2 which comes close, I don't know any other. Even DT 1990pro is not as good for professional work, or even for home audio/gaming.

Comparing to HD600? Hopefully this post not get deleted because of this... :) Hd600 unfortunately starts to show its age. It doesn't have low end, it must have to be corrected heavily for professional use. It's soundstage doesn't fit for studio or gaming as good. 900 Pro X is almost every way better headphone. It sounds modern. It's more comfortable. It has better tonality -even it also has some flaws. It has correct positioning, proper soundstage, proper separation. And finally low end comparable to a subwoofer with monitor speakers (fortunately not that consumer Harman V-curve which amir uses, which is just horrible standard, imo!).

All in all, DT 900 Pro X, to me, is a headphone worth double it's current 225€ price. Or a price of DT1990 Pro, because it is better headphone, all things considered. DT1990Pro has flaws like 99,99% of headphones, but they are good for home listening -if you like the tonality.

Surprisingly, Beyerdynamic did what nobody expected in this day and age in economy and inflation. I think it has one of the best price/quality ratio since Koss Porta Pro ($40 in 1984), Sony MDR-V6 ($70 in 1985) and Grado SR60 ($69 in 1995).

All in all, best headphone Beyerdynamic has ever made. Well spent 97 years of development.

D

Deleted member 35357

I have used these for soon two months and I must say the 5-6Khz needs a adjustment, it's too bright there and it can be uncomfortable without a PEQ to fix it.
Bass & Sub is just to taste if you want the Harman Bass Boost curve or the flat curve these come with stock. There are settings around the forum for a PEQ for these.

I just say you need that 5-6Khz filter and anything else is just for taste for most part.

D

Deleted member 60987

Welcome to Cuckoo Studio's review. I am Anzol. You will be watching this headphone review from the perspective of a mixing engineer.I have received the Beyerdynamic DT 900 PRO X headphones from Caleb, appreciate his support of the channel. Let's take a look at how the new Beyerdynamic headphones perform.

View attachment 254933

Below is the text and image content. If you prefer video version:

The DT 900 PROX is openback design. The appearance has abandoned the classic design of the previous generation.

View attachment 254930

The model identifier is debossed in a glossy finish, and the black body feels very unified. These are all modern representations of the new series.

View attachment 254931
View attachment 254932

The headband feels very sturdy. The padding is made by imitation leather, and the ear cups are similar with previous generation product, made of velour material.

View attachment 254923
View attachment 254928

The body weight is about 344g, which is moderate. The actual wearing feels just right for me in terms of tightness.

View attachment 254924

On the inside of the left and right identification plates, there is also a plastic plate decoration with the Beyerdynamic’s new "Y" logo.

View attachment 254925

The new series has finally changed to a replaceable wire design. The quality of the wire is also quite high, and the pivot design is no longer easy to pinch the fingertips. These new series details give me a similar feeling of mid-end DT 1990 PRO.

View attachment 254926

View attachment 254927

Let's take a look at its sound performance.

Frequency response. Using the Harman 2013 target with no preference for low-frequency gain, the DT 900 PRO X can maintain a fairly flat playback from 20-2000 Hz. There is a slight attenuation in the range of 3000-4000 Hz, but it is kept within a very small 3 dB. There is a 5-6 dB high-frequency gain above 5 KHz. The sound of the DT 900 PRO X is almost flat but slightly bright. Compared to the high-frequency gain of the old Beyerdynamic, it has been very well controlled.

View attachment 254920
View attachment 254910

Distortion. At a normal sound pressure level of 86 dB for listening to music, the DT 900 PRO X maintains a very low level of distortion. Except for the slightly higher low frequency distortion that is typical of many dynamic structure diaphragm, everything is very clean above 100 Hz. When the sound pressure is raised, there is a more obvious second harmonic distortion around 1500 Hz and 3400 Hz on the data. However, the distortion magnitude is still very small. The other harmonic distortion beyond the second harmonic remains at a very low level.

View attachment 254921
View attachment 254912
View attachment 254913

Let's enter the Cuckoo Studio mixing space. The flat curve from the mid to low frequencies allows the most important instrument fundamental frequencies and main harmonic content to be played back accurately. There is no bass roll-off, so the bass is played back in full. The gain above 5000 Hz gives a slightly increased sense of sibilance sounds, and high-frequency percussion, but the DT 900 PRO X's instrument spatial sense is still reasonable. The left and right units have good symmetrical in the level difference between units. There are no noticeable skew problems aside from the variables in wearing the headphone, which makes the center imaging solid.

View attachment 254922
View attachment 254914View attachment 254915

Looking at the side graph, the distortion at 86 dB does not cause a sense of compression or sound contamination on the listening feel. The transient details of the song will not be smeared in any way. Ignoring the data, the DT 900 PRO X has a relatively more solid actual listening feel compared to the HD600 in the same price range. The instrument playback has a relatively more straightforward mid to high-frequency performance.

View attachment 254916View attachment 254917

Overall, the DT 900 PRO X almost solves all the cons of the previous generation. From the build quality to the sound playback, I have a hard time finding any problems. This is a headphone product that has been carefully improved based on user's feedback. This makes it a top choice for headphones in the 150-300 USD price range, and it can also compete with the classic HD600 headphones in the same price range.

View attachment 254918
View attachment 254919

This is Cuckoo Studio review. Please stay tuned. I will continue to explore the secret of headphones with you.
I see them recommended a lot. But are they don't have the nest neutrality rating: https://www.querytools.net/Images/RTGS1.jpg the 770s come in higher at half the price.

artburda

Beyerdynamic hurt many's ears, it's a hard no no
It can hurt your head, too. Fixing the high clamping force with the 770 was easy, since it has a metal headband. The 700 X however has a plastic headband. I have the 700 X since 1.5 years and tried a few headband stretching exercises, it still is clamping way too much. Can‘t wear it for more than 30min.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
D

Deleted member 60987

It can hurt your head, too. Fixing the high clamping force with the 770 was easy, since it has a metal headband. The 700 X however has a plastic headband. I have the 700 X since 1.5 years and tried a few headband stretching exercises, it still is clamping way too much. Can‘t wear it for more than 30min.
I've never found the 770 uncomfortable. Nice velour pads. Just not very immersive. I have JBL on ear bluetooth that are like a vice though.

artburda

I've never found the 770 uncomfortable. Nice velour pads. Just not very immersive. I have JBL on ear bluetooth that are like a vice though.
It depends on your head size. The 700 X has even softer velour pads, but also much more clamping force. Solderdude wrote in both reviews (700 X and 900 X):
„Probably fine in a studio but the clamping force is too high for wearing all day or even just a few hours enjoying music.“

D

Deleted member 60987

It depends on your head size. The 700 X has even softer velour pads, but also much more clamping force. Solderdude wrote in both reviews (700 X and 900 X):
„Probably fine in a studio but the clamping force is too high for wearing all day or even just a few hours enjoying music.“

True. But if 770s are uncomfortable what the hell IS?

badspeakerdesigner

Kinda looks like it has the same problems in the 6k region that bugs me about beyer. I mean I love everything about my dt770's except that. I can't use them without EQ.

Dazerdoreal

Kinda looks like it has the same problems in the 6k region that bugs me about beyer. I mean I love everything about my dt770's except that. I can't use them without EQ.
Personally I cannot judge but the general opinion is that the 6k peak is way smoother on the 900x. :)

mmmdc

It's quite trivial to just stretch them out if they clamp too much.

bequietjk

These will not. It took beyerdynamic, what...almost hundred years to get rid of that freaking spike and do a flat low to mid FR. They did correct a lot more with this model. The whole headphone is NEW -from start to finish. I think they did their first "all-around-perfect" -headphone. It sure is not for everyone, there is no headphone for everyone. But, to me, it is at good as it gets. It fits for so many usage. Hi-fi, studio, gaming, even portability is good, because it's low impedance.

It is perfect for studio use. very few open headphones have flat low frequency response to the 20hz (sadly 900pro X will not have flat response in amir's equipment, but it is another story). There is Ollo S4X ver1.2 which comes close, I don't know any other. Even DT 1990pro is not as good for professional work, or even for home audio/gaming.

Comparing to HD600? Hopefully this post not get deleted because of this... :) Hd600 unfortunately starts to show its age. It doesn't have low end, it must have to be corrected heavily for professional use. It's soundstage doesn't fit for studio or gaming as good. 900 Pro X is almost every way better headphone. It sounds modern. It's more comfortable. It has better tonality -even it also has some flaws. It has correct positioning, proper soundstage, proper separation. And finally low end comparable to a subwoofer with monitor speakers (fortunately not that consumer Harman V-curve which amir uses, which is just horrible standard, imo!).

All in all, DT 900 Pro X, to me, is a headphone worth double it's current 225€ price. Or a price of DT1990 Pro, because it is better headphone, all things considered. DT1990Pro has flaws like 99,99% of headphones, but they are good for home listening -if you like the tonality.

Surprisingly, Beyerdynamic did what nobody expected in this day and age in economy and inflation. I think it has one of the best price/quality ratio since Koss Porta Pro ($40 in 1984), Sony MDR-V6 ($70 in 1985) and Grado SR60 ($69 in 1995).

All in all, best headphone Beyerdynamic has ever made. Well spent 97 years of development.
geez that write-up has me gurning for it.

Top Bottom