• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trell

Major Contributor
Just convert the DSD to PCM at a reasonable sampling frequency.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I would expect the DAC to filter-out the ultrasonic noise (and it is weak anyway). It's supposed to be an "audio DAC".

...A million years ago I was building a preamp that turned-out to be an ultrasonic (probably RF) oscillator. It blew one channel in my amp but the tweeters survived. I have no idea what the frequency was... I just deduced what had happened and went "back to the drawing board". But the inductance of the tweeters may have saved them.

OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

But in theory if your amp would be -3dB at 1Mhz there could be quite some power at the tweeter if your DSD source has no LP filter at all..
Shouldn't be there an lpf in my DAC?
image.jpg

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well at the end of the day, why use such a flawed format to begin with? As Amir said when he analyzed the awful releases from Octave Records, why pay for huge files that are only storing ultrasonic noise?

OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

Yes it is very dangerous. Play 48K PCM only!

Just convert the DSD to PCM at a reasonable sampling frequency.
That's very unfortunate for me! Because I'm certainly enjoying my DSD files greater than PCM (even hi-res).

I would expect the DAC to filter-out the ultrasonic noise (and it is weak anyway). It's supposed to be an "audio DAC".

...A million years ago I was building a preamp that turned-out to be an ultrasonic (probably RF) oscillator. It blew one channel in my amp but the tweeters survived. I have no idea what the frequency was... I just deduced what had happened and went "back to the drawing board". But the inductance of the tweeters may have saved them.
Means there's a risk?

Trell

Major Contributor
Well at the end of the day, why use such a flawed format to begin with? As Amir said when he analyzed the awful releases from Octave Records, why pay for huge files that are only storing ultrasonic noise?
My only use of DSD is in the form of multichannel SACD that my Oppo player converts to PCM before sending it to my AVR. I’ve a few stereo SACD but over 140 multichannel SACD.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Who said DSD is flawed?
In fact some devices are better at it on some aspects:

It may be impossible for the producing side (which as consumers we don't care) but flawed?

Are the class D amps flawed because of their ultrasonic noise?I don't think so.

PHD

With today's high-frequency switching capable GaN FETs, it is possible to build a DSD class D amplifier that takes the DSD signal and uses it to drive high-power GaN FETs at the DSD's native frequency of up to 12MHz. At that frequency, you don't even need to bother with output filters, because the speaker will do this job easily. And it won't damage the speakers because they naturally attenuate the high frequency and cannot dynamically respond to such high freq...

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
That's very unfortunate for me! Because I'm certainly enjoying my DSD files greater than PCM (even hi-res).

Means there's a risk?
No risk, no fun!

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
what would make you think dsd causes 'damage' in the first place?

what would you think if someone asked if mp3 causes 'damage'?

you would think someone who asked that would be an idiot

OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

what would make you think dsd causes 'damage' in the first place?
I thought ultrasonic noise will create a static vibration in tweeters which could cause rising temperature in tweeter coil...

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
but then you would level that accusation at anything higher than redbook

ie. 24/96

this format has been around for 20yrs or more just like dsd and if they did damage anything other than storage requirements then you would have heard about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom