• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does anyone know if there's a US/Canada distributor/retailer for PMC Speakers?

OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

See my signature for all Canadian resellers/dealers.
Thanks, but even the one distributor in CA for PMC doesn't list the Prodigy 1 (or that line). Audiobyditomasso.ca - Assuming I didn't overlook another one.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Why do you want PMC speakers? Have you heard or meadured any?

OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

Did you phone or email them?
I'll try that later this week. The reason I'm looking for PMC (really that specific model) is 1) price point, 2) positive reviews, 3) want good bass response from a bookshelf speaker w/o a subwoofer.

OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

Why do you want PMC speakers? Have you heard or meadured any?
I've heard several in the past and liked them, but only at hi-fi shows (like in hotel rooms and conference rooms) so I honestly don't know how they'd work in my office, but I'm willing to take a chance as I can probably resell them for near retail if I don't like them. But nah, I have never heard the Prodigy series as they are very hard to find (per this thread, lol).

dfuller

Major Contributor
I know PMC has a strong direct-to-customer thing for their studio offerings; for your purposes, I think the only ones I'd recommend are the 6s. Not the TwoTwo 6, not the Result 6, just the 6. The new one. Strongly recommend skipping their passives and their older actives, they're generally pretty terrible.

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
£1,250/pair is equivalent to USD$1580/pair

This speaker is passive.

We only have 1 spinorama for PMC passive bookshelf, which doesnt look that enticing frankly:
index.php

I would point you to speaker that we have full spinorama and measurements for. Simply because we know exactly what to expect from them. I don't know what to expect from PMC speakers at this point, since we only have 1 spin.

Bookshelves < US$1,600/pair:
NamePSPSwSubLFX
Ascend Acoustics Sierra-LX6.88.638
Kef R3 (Amir) (Erin) [Discontinued on Feb 2023, replaced by R3 Meta]6.68.337
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1 V2 (Erin)6.48.442
Philharmonic Ceramic Mini (Erin)5.97.942
Revel M16 with sealed port [readme] (Amir)5.9????
Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 (Amir)(Erin)5.27.446
Kef LS50 Meta (Amir)(Erin)5.77.843
Revel M16 with open port (Amir)5.67.745
Polk Audio Signature Elite ES20 (Amir)4.86.739
Arendal Sound 1723 Bookshelf S THX (Erin)4.87.662
Arendal Sound 1961 Bookshelf (Erin)4.47.368
-Kef Q150 and Q350 are no longer mentioned; since Kef LS50 Meta exists at this price point.

Plus Kef LS50 Meta, recently reviewed by Erin, which I haven't included in this table yet, but it will sit at #4 spot at PS of 6.0

(from my passive thread, see signature).

dfuller

Major Contributor

This speaker is passive.

We only have 1 spinorama for PMC passive bookshelf, which doesnt look that enticing frankly:
index.php
Their passives are crap, flat out. I also wouldn't buy anything before their most current active line - which are generally "fine".

OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

Their passives are crap, flat out. I also wouldn't buy anything before their most current active line - which are generally "fine".
Interesting. I just tried to find the only test I saw on the Prodigy line and I can't locate it anymore. IIRC, the response was very flat, but I don't think they showed the directivity error at the crossover in their measurements. I suppose the real goal here is to actually listen to a pair, but that's seeming very unlikely given the model is pretty new and nobody carries it (at least not listed on their sites). I'll update when I can find the article with T&M.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Keith

Leif

This speaker is passive.

index.php

I would point you to speaker that we have full spinorama and measurements for. Simply because we know exactly what to expect from them. I don't know what to expect from PMC speakers at this point, since we only have 1 spin.

Bookshelves < US$1,600/pair:
NamePSPSwSubLFX
Ascend Acoustics Sierra-LX6.88.638
Kef R3 (Amir) (Erin) [Discontinued on Feb 2023, replaced by R3 Meta]6.68.337
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1 V2 (Erin)6.48.442
Philharmonic Ceramic Mini (Erin)5.97.942
Revel M16 with sealed port [readme] (Amir)5.9????
Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 (Amir)(Erin)5.27.446
Kef LS50 Meta (Amir)(Erin)5.77.843
Revel M16 with open port (Amir)5.67.745
Polk Audio Signature Elite ES20 (Amir)4.86.739
Arendal Sound 1723 Bookshelf S THX (Erin)4.87.662
Arendal Sound 1961 Bookshelf (Erin)4.47.368
-Kef Q150 and Q350 are no longer mentioned; since Kef LS50 Meta exists at this price point.

Plus Kef LS50 Meta, recently reviewed by Erin, which I haven't included in this table yet, but it will sit at #4 spot at PS of 6.0

(from my passive thread, see signature).
I had a pair of those. Classical music and jazz sounded good, but metal sounded wrong, and female voices were weird, Joni Mitchell sounded awful. I heard the update too, just as bad. Frankly a lot of the English designed speakers have weird frequency responses. Maybe it’s all about marketing. I replaced them with Kef LS50 Meta which suit all styles of music. Every day I listen to them I’m astonished. I’m not saying they’re the best at the price, just that I like lietening to them in my home, and IMO PMC are expensive and mediocre.

Top Bottom