• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PMC DB1+

Matt_Holland

Manufacturer webpage

Hi everyone.
I’m a recent new member here and really enjoying using the forum.
I’ve been into audio for many years and have made a career in it since studying acoustics at Salford in the UK, albeit more recently in sales roles. Currently I work for the UK distributor for Italian speaker manufacture, K-array.

For personal reasons, unfortunately I currently have no hifi system at home, but recently was very generously gifted a pair of PMC DB1+ speakers. I’m going to start building a system again with them and I just wondered what experience members have of these speakers? Is there any measurement data available? I can’t find any.

I’ve had a brief listen using a loaned amplifier and they seem quite good. Previous systems I’ve owned include Meridian DSP5200.2 and I had a pair of Buchardt S400mk2 for 6 months which I absolutely loved.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Manufacturer webpage

Hi everyone.
I’m a recent new member here and really enjoying using the forum.
I’ve been into audio for many years and have made a career in it since studying acoustics at Salford in the UK, albeit more recently in sales roles. Currently I work for the UK distributor for Italian speaker manufacture, K-array.

For personal reasons, unfortunately I currently have no hifi system at home, but recently was very generously gifted a pair of PMC DB1+ speakers. I’m going to start building a system again with them and I just wondered what experience members have of these speakers? Is there any measurement data available? I can’t find any.

I’ve had a brief listen using a loaned amplifier and they seem quite good. Previous systems I’ve owned include Meridian DSP5200.2 and I had a pair of Buchardt S400mk2 for 6 months which I absolutely loved.
Looks like other PMCs (https://www.stereophile.com/content/pmc-db1iii-loudspeaker-measurements):
1209PMCfig4.jpg

Starboard

I was very disappointed with the DB1M-Ci I had if that's of any significance.

It had such little bass (in free space rather than against a boundary) as to be nigh on useless for the production I was doing. They were also abjectly bright in the nearfield. Finally compared to a lowly pair of KRK RP5 (the first ones released) they actually failed to reproduce a low amplitude mid tone (perhaps around 800Hz iirc) at all from the front but I could hear it coming from the TL round the back. The KRK's soft dome tweeter was capable of being more delicate, the PMC was v dry, perhaps I would've valued that if any of the other failings I mentioned weren't present.

I also went through a PMC LB1 and a CB6i centre speaker. The LB1 had a great borderline sub bass reproduction at a low amplitude (in relation to other frequencies). CB6i excellent midrange presence - very tangible.

Not a scientific post at all sorry but that was just as I was getting into speaker technology and Master's level acoustics study.

lowkeyoperations

I used to own a pair of PMC DB1is.
Using them in the lounge room they were ok with no toe in to reduce a bit of the treble. They are a bit boomy so you want to avoid more room reinforcement by having them too close to walls and corners.

When I used them as my desktop speakers in nearfield during COVID work from home lockdown the 150hz hump was even worse, due to desk and wall reinforcement but it was pretty easy to eq out. Then they sounded quite decent at low levels say 70-75 dB.

If you’re feeding them with a computer as the source then I think they could be eqd in to place pretty well (or ideally Dirac live imo). They are very nice for a free pair of speakers and were the favourite speakers I’ve owned according to my wife, as they were a beautiful cherry veneer and small :p

OP
M

Matt_Holland

Thanks for the comments so far.
I’ve definitely noticed they have a boomy/resonant bass quality to them. The original port foam was disintegrating in places so I’ve replaced it (PMC contact of mine sorted it out for free - top guy) but I haven’t listened since.

Top end is definitely a touch bright for me too although they seem to be quite detailed. My initial impression is that they’re quite idiosyncratic, but could be good fun.

The short term plan is to get a WIIM pro plus and a cheap power amp. Then upgrade the power amp, then maybe a better DAC/pre then speakers. The PMCs and cheap amp will then go into my home office fed from my Mac.

Top Bottom