• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does a speaker in an anechoic chamber has minimum phase behavior?

René - Acculution.com

Technical Expert
Here are the on-axis magnitude level responses for a perfect second-order (acoustic) crossover (2,5 kHz) with 1) two perfectly distance-aligned drivers, 2) 1 inch offset between drivers, equivalent to a pure delay on the 'further back' driver, and 3) a second order Bessel allpass compensation on the other driver:
Unavngivet.png

The allpass filter is enough to almost fully compensate for a pure time delay up to 10 kHz or so. For larger distance difference, a second-order allpass filter will have trouble compensating enough. And the type/order of crossover and crossover frequency will also be important. And then there is the implementation of the allpass filter to consider, as a passive version will come with its own problems. And one should also check off-axis responses. I can add step response also, but the LR2 will itself distort such an input, so maybe not of much relevance.

gnarly

Major Contributor
Good stuff Rene,

One inch and acoustic 2nd order though...yikes, that not much of a task.
How realistic is it to think about using all-passes as a 'fixed delay' for say 6 inches, and with a more common LR4 acoustic xover?

René - Acculution.com

Technical Expert
That seems unfeasible at least just playing around a bit. 6 inches with LR2 still, corrected(!) with 2nd Bessel allpass looks like this (with the caveat that I haven't spent much time on checking all variables):
1690198476549.png

I haven't tried to figure out which order allpass would be needed here. But with an active setup with DSP I guess it is an easy task just to input the corresponding time delay.

Top Bottom