• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do Audio Speakers Break-in?

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What does any of that have to do with my question?

Your question has nothing to do with anything.

I have many drivers stored in my garage. I may even listen to some out there on occasion. That is not the point.

The only person that I know of that makes a habit of listening to speakers in the cold damp garage is @amirm. The garage is where he does his speaker testing. The overnight low in Seattle Saturday night was 33 degrees.

The point is that speakers stored at least a few hours in the cold damp garage will be a bit cold and stiff, they will need a bit of warming up and flexing in standard conditions before they perform and test their best.

I am not too worried about speaker testing in the garage. An hour and a half test is plenty of time to warm up.

Thanks DT

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The only person that I know of that makes a habit of listening to speakers in the cold damp garage is @amirm.
Huh? I perform no listening tests in the garage. All speakers are tested in either at my workstation (that you partially see in my videos) or in my standard 2-channel system:

index.php

The garage is heated to 60 degrees F or thereabouts for testing. I try to keep the speakers indoor prior to testing to aid in them being warm.

Please don't spread false information like this.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anybody ever noticed that speaker “break-in” and headphone “burn-in”, as touted by audiophiles and manufacturers, always results in a better sound? Wouldn’t there be, in the entire history of audio equipment, a instrument that was negatively affected by these “break-in” phenomena?

No, because the "instrument" that is mainly or solely being broken-in is your mind.

DualTriode

I recall you saying that your speaker test system in your garage and that you do mono listening tests there as well.

If that is not true I stand corrected.

Thanks DT

Heldaeus

No, because the "instrument" that is mainly or solely being broken-in is your mind.
Oh I know, it was more of a rhetorical question.

Reactions: MGG
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I recall you saying that your speaker test system in your garage and that you do mono listening tests there as well.
I do not. There is no setup to listen to anything in the garage. That room is only used for measurements.

krott5333

I think this test needs expanded.

Pick at least three brand new speakers of different brands.
Test them right out of the box.
Put pink noise through all of them at the same db level for 5 hours.
Test again.
More noise, another 20 hours.
Test again.
Compare.

Because I can already here the naysayers...
"They need more burn in time"
"Revels don't need burn in. My KEF's need 8 hours"
"blah blah blah"

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Break in could both ways. I 'spoze. Sound could get better or worse. Or, maybe not change much at all.
Only if you use your subjective opinion as the deciding factor of better or worse.
To hear the speaker as intended by the designer it should be broken in, if it really changes much at all.

Taddpole

I think this test needs expanded.

Pick at least three brand new speakers of different brands.
Test them right out of the box.
Put pink noise through all of them at the same db level for 5 hours.
Test again.
More noise, another 20 hours.
Test again.
Compare.

Because I can already here the naysayers...
"They need more burn in time"
"Revels don't need burn in. My KEF's need 8 hours"
"blah blah blah"

If they really needed burning in the manufacturers should be doing it before they leave factory.

Maybe I'll start a speaker burn in company.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Huh? I perform no listening tests in the garage. All speakers are tested in either at my workstation (that you partially see in my videos) or in my standard 2-channel system:

index.php

The garage is heated to 60 degrees F or thereabouts for testing. I try to keep the speakers indoor prior to testing to aid in them being warm.

Damn Amir! "Objectivists" are supposed to only buy cheapo radio shack equipment because "everything sounds the same."

You're blowing our cover. :)

diddley

Forum Donor
I could not hear any difference after a while. i bought not the world greatest speakers but it was a compromise between home theater and stereo listening.
They still suck.

DualTriode

So speakers do need break-in. From post #429
View attachment 118516
The figure above shows the variation of the stiffness of a spider versus measurement time measured by using the SPM module. After 10 hours of operation in the large signal domain, the stiffness at the rest position is decreased to 40 % of the initial value while the stiffness at high excursion is almost constant.

So that's why some speakers have that thump sound before break-in. Some speakers also sound less musical before break-in. The difference being like night & day :D

Hello,

The Kipple pdf does not say if the change in stiffness is a permanent change or will return after sitting idle overnight.

Testing in Sparky’s Lab (Sparky is my cat) shows that there is a change in resonate frequency and other TS/P dependent on ambient temperature and warmup due to exercise.

Thanks DT

Take a look at many of JBL’s data sheets.

Driver TS/P are measured after being exercised 2 hours at maximum power pink noise for 2 hours.

Sample data sheet

https://jblpro.com/en-US/site_elements/2226h-j-specification-sheet

Descartes

Major Contributor

index.php

Nice setup! How far do you sit from the Salon 2

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Most of us confuse our subjective perception or “brain break-in” with what is real. In other words, we hear what we want to hear at a subconscious level.

This and all the high-end expensive audio perception is nicely exemplified by this cool Brain Games experiment. Sorry if it has been posted before.

All guy in the audiophile demographic (sadly my own) has all the explanations, too. He's a friggin' cake connoisseur. Even telling' his wife all about it.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
So speakers do need break-in. From post #429

View attachment 118516
The figure above shows the variation of the stiffness of a spider versus measurement time measured by using the SPM module. After 10 hours of operation in the large signal domain, the stiffness at the rest position is decreased to 40 % of the initial value while the stiffness at high excursion is almost constant.

So that's why some speakers have that thump sound before break-in. Some speakers also sound less musical before break-in. The difference being like night & day :eek::D
This is for a driver, not a finished speaker. Once in a box, the drift is minimal.

DualTriode

This is for a driver, not a finished speaker. Once in a box, the drift is minimal.

"Once in a box, the drift is minimal."

This is not true.

Placing a driver on a box of known volume is part of the TS/P test procedure.

Why/how would placing a driver in a box stabilize the "drift" ? Got Data?

Thanks DT

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
"Once in a box, the drift is minimal."

This is not true.

Placing a driver on a box of known volume is part of the TS/P test procedure.

Why/how would placing a driver in a box stabilize the "drift" ? Got Data?

Thanks DT
From Thiele:
1615930123713.png

Note the emphasis on the word "unimportant". Once aligned and fitted, the combo of the box and the mass of the driver swamp the latter's compliance. Link

In terms of data? Like most posting here, I don't have anything that would qualify as "direct", in the manner of FR or other speaker parameters over time. I don't think it would be possible to achieve pair deviations this low in actives, even cheap ones from all sorts of companies, if drivers were somehow unreliable.

Come to that, DT—you've been trying your hand at measuring headphones and have an AP if I'm not mistaken. Miles beyond my measurement gear. Why not then do a "100 hour" test like the boutique manufacturers recommend? Except this time measure the output over the entire period.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
The drift varies from driver to driver, box or not. Audibility most likely also varies with drift. A sine sweep proves lowering of Fs of some drivers. Dynamics will be cut with a stiff spider(s) and will most likely be audible until sufficiently broken in.

At this point I think it's prudent to say that break-in is real in some drivers and can be expected to be audible in some speakers. Your post above don't prove anything in this case. Klippel's data provide evidence for break-in. The audibility of break-in a speaker could be recorded with a mic when new and after break-in with sufficient cooling time in between.

Have a look at the graph again.

View attachment 118658

The spiders break in layer by layer. Dynamic music will be heavily clipped, less so with many of the modern compressed recordings. Clipping of the dynamics by up to 40%, maybe more if the driver needs more break-in, is so far the best piece of evidence of break-in I've seen so far. Claims to the contrary will need to backed up by evidence.

Yes, that single piece of evidence weighs much heavier than the claims by Floyd and placebo oriented HiFi veterans. Bear in mind that Floyd already had his mind made up and didn't investigate break-in and quoted some anecdotes from the industry.
I didn't read the paper, so I might be saying something stupid:
Is this a driver that just got off the production line and hasn't even gone through QC?
Is this a driver you buy as a consumer?
Is this a driver in a finished speaker?

Each of these steps adds run time to the loudspeaker, because the manufacturer will run QC tests.

TabCam

Hello,

The Kipple pdf does not say if the change in stiffness is a permanent change or will return after sitting idle overnight.

Testing in Sparky’s Lab (Sparky is my cat) shows that there is a change in resonate frequency and other TS/P dependent on ambient temperature and warmup due to exercise.

Thanks DT

Take a look at many of JBL’s data sheets.

Driver TS/P are measured after being exercised 2 hours at maximum power pink noise for 2 hours.

Sample data sheet

https://jblpro.com/en-US/site_elements/2226h-j-specification-sheet
The JBL break in for 2 hours is with a 600W signal. Ok, it is a 15 inch woofer but that probably far exceeds what regular owners will do at home. Maybe that accounts for differences in stories with large break in times? Loud for me is also not 2 hours at 100 dB but more like prolonged periods of 80 dB and less.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
The drift varies from driver to driver, box or not. Audibility most likely also varies with drift. A sine sweep proves lowering of Fs of some drivers. Dynamics will be cut with a stiff spider(s) and will most likely be audible until sufficiently broken in.

At this point I think it's prudent to say that break-in is real in some drivers and can be expected to be audible in some speakers. Your post above don't prove anything in this case. Klippel's data provide evidence for break-in. The audibility of break-in a speaker could be recorded with a mic when new and after break-in with sufficient cooling time in between.

Have a look at the graph again.

View attachment 118658

The spiders break in layer by layer. Dynamic music will be heavily clipped, less so with many of the modern compressed recordings. Clipping of the dynamics by up to 40%, maybe more if the driver needs more break-in, is so far the best piece of evidence of break-in I've seen so far. Claims to the contrary will need to backed up by evidence.

Yes, that single piece of evidence weighs much heavier than the claims by Floyd and placebo oriented HiFi veterans. Bear in mind that Floyd already had his mind made up and didn't investigate break-in and quoted some anecdotes from the industry.
I'll do you one better. But first you have to separate evidence from speculation. You have:
  • Evidence for driver change. But only stiffness of suspension, not the dominant audibility parameter, frequency response.
  • No evidence for speaker change.
  • No evidence of audibility.
  • An unreasonable line of thinking implying that Harman never did time based driver tests. This is absurd. They design their own drivers. Keele had already written about driver compliance vs. fitting in his 1970s papers about vented loudspeakers.
    • "As stated by Keele, [4 p.254], typical batches of drivers have a 10-20% variation in T-S parameters, and this is largely due to differences in suspension compliance, but luckily for the speaker designer this has little effect upon the frequency response in a given box because of the insensitivity of this to alignment." Link
From Klippel's own presentation in 2011, test setup:
1615986335696.png

Response from Loudspeaker A:
1615986433952.png

Loudspeaker B:
1615986460051.png

So it's shown clearly that stiffness of a new woofer changes when in a box, over time, in long term tests, with differing power levels moving the loudspeaker driver closer to its nomimal mechanical behaviour.

But the caveat is in the context. Klippel did these tests from the manufacturers' perspective. The overall goal of the test was to determine how to separate break in from mechanical fatigue, the former showing that the driver has overcome its initial stiffness and the latter showing that the driver is has weaknesses and may get damaged. He modelled it as so, with another main research question being how to select good parts and what measurements will show quality:
1615986763356.png

The model shows an initial sharp dip, which is break in, but the implication is that only a well designed speaker will show that kind of behaviour. A lesser driver will show less initial decline in stiffness, but the decline will continue persistently and more quickly reach the area where it is at risk of damage.

Klippel does more to show that the time based model is somewhat abstract because it does not reflect the amount of work the loudspeaker is asked to perform.
1615987366234.png

Measurements of Loudspeaker B a few charts above show just this behaviour, although I would assume that P2-P4 in the chart directly above are models of poor behaviour specifically, meaning either bad driver design or excessive work.

There was not a word in this presentation about audibility or frequency response. I couldn't find any Klippel literature linking audibility to these features. What this means for me is that you have another example of measured values what are only important for designers and manufacturers, not listeners, which makes sense. There will always be some physical difference that is more easily measurable than heard.

To recap:
  • Driver stiffness changes when measured in free air and inside an enclosure, but:
  • There is no evidence that this matters or is important for speaker frequency response until the driver fails.
As such, for which qualities does measuring stiffness provide evidence? Driver quality and durability.

Top Bottom