• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ditch the CD transport and go with computer?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
If it's made of silicon and deals in ones and zeros, it's a computer.
If it doesn't have an instruction set it's not a computer. There are plenty of logic devices that don't rise to that level, but can do useful things with 1s and 0s. There are also plenty of things that used to be done with discrete logic that are now done with microcontrollers.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
And when it is through playing, it won't suggest I listen to something I don't want to listen to, nor flash an advertisement, nor send me an email about stuff I don't care about, nor bill my credit card again.
Same for playing files from my PC/server.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Keep spinning those CDs? Ok boomers :facepalm::p

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I still want a 1U rackmount media player for those occasions when I bring home CDs from the library or new ones arrive, and I want to listen immediately on the main system. And I really don't need to become a digital packrat: Some things are good for a play or two, if that.

Regarding "collectables": Care and feeding of them has a non-zero cost, and sometimes the market for them literally dies off. When resale prices start seeming nutty to me, I sell!

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Ditch the CD transport and go with computer?

I did about 7 or 8 years ago; no regrets.

I still buy CDs, but immediately rip them to a PC and play them from that.

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The platform decision is pretty trivial: Ripping the CDs and tidying up FLAC tags (and FLAC is fine file format to choose) and album artwork is the bulk of the work, but you don't need to redo any of this if you change platforms.

I've changed my own mind several times: Sometimes I just don't care for the UI, skins or apps available for one environment and want to try something else.

I ripped my first 600 or so CD's back in 2000 or thereabouts to a Bondi Blue iMac. I had to buy quite expensive external hard drives and the fastest CD drive I could find. It took weeks of on-again, off-again attention. Those original rips are still in my hard drive banks today! I've gone through a succession of hard drives of all kinds, always keeping backups and so on. I've never bothered to do a cloud-based backup.

I don't access the hard drives much anymore. Tidal has far more great stuff than I could ever hope to listen to, including almost everything in my collection.

Since my Mac Mini server has no media drive, I bought a dinky little USB drive that's very fast and cost, like, $50? I rip about 3 CD's per year now. I couldn't get Glass's Akhnaten on Tidal, for example, so I had to buy it. That was the first CD I had bought in a couple-three years!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I like owning a tangible source of entertainment.
Why? The number of albums I like is probably 100,000+. No way I can own all of this. Three years ago I spent $5,000 on music. Last year I spent maybe $50 given Tidal subscription (which cost $240).

The joy of discovery of new music is priceless. But until you go there, you won't know how wonderful it is.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why? The number of albums I like is probably 100,000+. No way I can own all of this.

Neither can you listen to it all, since that's the better part of a decade's worth of non-stop sound.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Neither can you listen to it all, since that's the better part of a decade's worth of non-stop sound.
So? I listen to countless hours of music every day, most of it new music I am discovering as I allow Roon to select what plays next. Over the next decade, I will go through tens of thousands of albums. I probably went through 10 albums yesterday (no need to listen to all tracks either).

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And then there are playlists, sharing links with friends and family immediately, hyperlinked metadata, switching from one room to the other, grouping zones... the list goes on.

Kouioui

Forum Donor
All physical media (CD, DVD-A, SACD, DAT, RTR, Vinyl) I can't stream lossless are in flacs on a 8TB HTPC hard drive. I have a cloned copy stored at my son's for backup.

Last edited:

murraycamp

Forum Donor
Stop calling it a “transport.” Don’t let the audiophools win!
Well, what should we call it when you use a CD player with a digital out to a stand-alone DAC? A "digital reader"?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Tossing around the idea of possibly moving away from (selling) my CD player and just going with a dedicated computer for my music source.
The plus's are that it would free up space...and if I could get a decent price for it, would fund other upgrades. It would also be much more convenient being able to have all my audio so readily accessible (vs CDs)
If curious, it's a 1991 Sony CDP-X777ES (near perfect condition, very low use)

Just thought of this today so haven't had much time to ponder. Would love to hear thoughts from others.
That's a classic CD player you have there. I would keep it. It's a awesome machine.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
D

Do one or two better. Rip to FLAC your CD collection onto a MicroSD card, and play it through a tiny DAP or a smartphone. Desktop PCs are so 20th century. You don't get around still in a horse-drawn carriage, do you?
Unless one is a gamer and likes fragging baddies or whatever other 3D games are liked. As a bonus the user gets to own a very powerful pooder.

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
Returning to the OP, it is great that there are several flavors/choices available. I don't believe there is any one size fits all here. Physical media players, streaming, and computer server playback all serve us well. These are not either/or choices. Each has advantages, I suppose.

For me, I've put physical media players in my rear view mirror, with the lone exception being playback of Blu-Ray movies. Streaming is alright but I find it falls short for at least a couple of reasons: (1) not everything is available to be streamed from sources such as Tidal, Qobuz, etc.; and (2) streaming is not available everywhere for several reasons, and portability of my extensive library has grown to be an indispensable part of my travel and gym routine.

I do find that one place where streaming has a unique place is the discovery of new music. Years and years ago, when I regularly used Pandora and Slacker, I enjoyed that feature. But for many years now, I do and have done extensive research on a daily basis to discover new artists and new albums. In this way I learn much more about the artists and music than I would by just receiving a third party's recommendation and, as such, for me streaming service recommendations fall short. My to be listened to and experienced album list is ridiculous and I've come to accept the fact that I have an embarrassing number of albums on my server that I will never listen to in my lifetime. I may have to start a twelve step music collector's program to help me and others like me deal more constructively with our addiction.:)

digicidal

Major Contributor
Sell it now while it's still worth something....
Not that I'm saying they're equivalent... but I remember many people online giving me this advice when I was mining Bitcoin and it was worth a whopping $100/BTC! "You're just going to lose everything if you hold on to it... as it is you're barely covering electricity costs" - yep, glad I didn't listen. :rolleyes:

Once people sell and dispose of their CDs, they have business keeping the ripped files as they are no longer a fair-use backup of discs they own...
Quite true... although that's not exactly my problem. I promise I won't tell anyone. :cool:

Last edited:

leftside

So? I listen to countless hours of music every day, most of it new music I am discovering as I allow Roon to select what plays next. Over the next decade, I will go through tens of thousands of albums. I probably went through 10 albums yesterday (no need to listen to all tracks either).
Exactly the same with me. I tell my "non-believer" friends, it's not so much about Roon, but more about Roon Radio + Tidal and all the fabulous new music I've found. If I really like a particular new (to me) album, I also purchase it on vinyl ;)

Top Bottom