• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ditch the CD transport and go with computer?

usersky

Forum Donor
One can make a CD player with a blue ray mechanism, no problem here, they are produced and selling today. CDs, DVDs, Blue Rays won't go away soon as they are used at large for backups. They would sell less but professional usage would keep them in production. Lawyers, medical records, tons of other very important data archived on CDs, DVDs, Blue Rays would keep optical mechanisms that read CDs in production for quite some time. Moreover, we only need 3-5 years for a CD fad to emerge. I won't bet on it nor against it, seems totally plausible to me.
People have the instinct of ownership. While renting music online is convenient, for some it doesn't satisfy that ownership instinct.
Even more: after a Pink Floyd lover ditches all CDs and vinyls betting on online streaming services just to find a year later that Pink Floyd retracts all it's portfolio from online services... Not probable? check all the titles removed in time from Netflix or check some albums on Spotify with 2-3-4 tracks unavailable. Or some with not a single track available but listed (attached). Were they available? Not anymore, at least not in my region. I use and like spotify but won't put my faith in their services that looses money for their shareholders each and every month. Not inspiring as a lasting business model. OTOH my CDs will play long after Spotify files for bancrupcy.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Top Bottom