• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac on a car. Is that a first?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Volvo owned Electric Car (EV) Polestar 2 has Dirac EQ running on a Harmon Kardon audio system. The details of the system is interesting. They say it even uses a patented subwoofer system. Is that a first?

Audio-based car design​

The Polestar 2 cabin and chassis were designed with acoustic performance in mind, allowing for optimal placement of the 13 Harman Kardon speakers. Proof that our obsessive attention to detail also extends to audible refinement.

A patented subwoofer​

The air-ventilated subwoofer is mounted in the rear wheel-housing, instead of in the cabin. This means it can pulse more air, enabling extremely low bass tones while minimising noise outside the car.

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Volvo has done it again in the past, if I remember well it was a big SUV with B&W speakers

Flak

Industry Insider

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Ultrasonic

For anyone potentially interested that doesn't know, miniDSP sell a car audio Dirac Live processor:

(I know precisely nothing about whether this product is an good or not though.)

Ultrasonic

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A have a fallow up question if I may? How do they EQ the system? Only the driver in the car? What about when all seats are full? Is there a setting on the dashboard? Seat pressure sensors?

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
A have a fallow up question if I may? How do they EQ the system? Only the driver in the car? What about when all seats are full? Is there a setting on the dashboard? Seat pressure sensors?

If you're asking me about the DL...

You have 4 memory settings. You can measure what you want. Same as DL for home. You choose if you want single-seat or multi-seat. If you want one for just you then you do that and save it in Memory n. Then do whatever you want for the other seat configurations and save those to the other memory(s). Easy peasy.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I have no idea of the answer to your question. I do own a 2019 Volvo XC90 with their top of the line Bowers & Wilkins audio system and it is among the best audio I have ever heard in a car. It does have one setting for all seats and another for driver only. To my ears both sound fantastic.

Martin

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think a major part of Dirac revenue comes from car audio. I’m pretty sure there are a lot more car models that use Dirac without anyone knowing.

They list Harmen as distributor. A lot of stock car audio is from Harman these days: JBL, infinity etc are very common.

My Kia had a JBL system and it sounded surprisingly well. Much, much better than the Meridian branded system in my colleagues sister car from Hyundai.

Last edited:
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're asking me about the DL...

You have 4 memory settings. You can measure what you want. Same as DL for home. You choose if you want single-seat or multi-seat. If you want one for just you then you do that and save it in Memory n. Then do whatever you want for the other seat configurations and save those to the other memory(s). Easy peasy.
I was asking in general how manufactured supplied systems do to sort this.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I was asking in general how manufactured supplied systems do to sort this.

No idea, then. I've never heard an OEM system I liked (and I've heard all the top ones as recently as this summer) so I always DIY my own with DSP.

Flak

Industry Insider

Flak

Industry Insider
If interested in immersive automotive audio, here is a very detailed (2 hours :) ) webinar:

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you but that is a video for people who want to implement Dirac by themselves. I asked how the manufactured system is controlled, or if controlled at all?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If interested in immersive automotive audio, here is a very detailed (2 hours :) ) webinar:

I asked a simple user question. What is the point of replying with a design seminar???

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I asked a simple user question.
Simple questions seldom have a simple answer. In this case your asking for Dirac trade secrets ;) I suspect getting any inside information will not be easy. There is little info here and here.

Top Bottom