• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Live Bass Control coming to Dirac Live Stereo This YEAR!!

Flak

Industry Insider
Sorry, I meant in your 2.2 system where you have the MOTU, where do you have dirac dlbc in the flow?
I'm using the standalone Dirac Processor with a DLBC license
CaptureStep2.JPG

Last edited:

Karu

Forum Donor
Is that a hardware product or a software on the computer? Maybe you can paste a link if a standalone hardware product?

Flak

Industry Insider
Is that a hardware product or a software on the computer? Maybe you can paste a link if a standalone hardware product?
It's software only... the Dirac Live Room Correction Suite Stereo + Bass Control. The Motu M4 provides the four channels.
If interested in testing it, a 14 days free trial of the bundle is available here:

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's software only... the Dirac Live Room Correction Suite Stereo + Bass Control. The Motu M4 provides the four channels.
If interested in testing it, a 14 days free trial of the bundle is available here:
I really, really, really want to experience ART. When can we experience ART on PC?

D

Deleted member 48726

The filters creation happens prevalently in the computer and partly in the cloud (more in the future) while the real time processing of the filters will happen in the computer if the standalone Dirac Processor is used... if not, an external processor is used (i.e the Flex, an AVR, a Dirac enabled speaker, etc.)
Hi

This is off-topic a bit but still in the ball park.

Have you considered showing the extremes after a correction has been calculated? Like: "Max boost = 4 dB at 55 Hz" and "Max attenuation = 11 dB at 3.500 Hz"

This would be so helpful.

RickyC34

Hey all! Many of you have been so helpful in my journey with DLBC. I'm seeking some advice on my next purchase for my 2.3 living room system.
The "problem" - I have Dirac Stereo + DLBC running on my Mac mini. I'm running 3 Dacs and I have discovered my r2r dac has a fifo buffer on the digital outputs and does not play well in this configuration where consistent timing is key.
(my knowledge is limited and this conclusion could be wrong but after troubleshooting every way I could think of, this is the conclusion I came up with.)
See my thread starting with post 46 if you want more info on this
Dirac Mac Mini Help

I'm seeking to purchase a new DAC that plays well with the others and has optical in, volume control, and is able to pass at least 96Khz. Bonus items would be a screen displaying volume, balanced and unbalanced outputs, software/user interface, EARC, and a remote.

Option 1 would be to purchase any decent SMSL or Topping connect and enjoy.
Strengths: Balanced outputs to my balanced amp, no additional cables required, and the cheapest option.
Weakness: Still running 3 dacs which would potentially be prone to more problems.

Option 2: Multipchannel dac.
Topping DM7 is DQ'ed due to being USB only. I believe the Dac8 pro is USB only as well.
Optical is kind of important as we watch a lot of sports on the tv via an antenna, not sure how I could send the audio to devices if watching a game on the antenna besides optical in or earc.

Motu M4: Question, this option provides the flexibility of being able to connect balanced/unbalanced at the same time correct? In my use case, I would run 2 balanced cables to my balanced amp for the front L/R and two unbalanced RCA's to my two unbalanced subwoofers. In this setup, I would use two dac's down from 3 and have my balanced subwoofer going to dac 2.
Strengths: 3 Dacs to 2, comes with software u/i, able to pass full freq Dirac (192khz), price
Weakness: Just saw no optical out : (

MOTU Ultralite mk5: All the same as above but with more output channels. This would take me from 3 dac's down to 1. From the looks of it, this device has balanced outputs only correct? No mix-and-match like the M4? I have no experience at all with devices like the Moto stuff please excuse my lack of knowledge about them.

Minidsp FlexHt
Strength: all the flexibility and control provided by the minidsp software, earc, optical, 3 dac down to 1.
Weakness: Limited to 96Khz, unbalanced out only

I'm aware of the FlexHTx ...this does provide a mixture of balanced and unbalanced which would be nice, but from my understanding, I would be ok using modified cables. This would also save me $350 I think it is.

Option 3: X3800H. I could still use my purifi amp with this and use the Denon as HDMI switch/preamp. I could still use DLBC on the MAC although the option to sell DLBC pc and buy it for the Denon is there I guess too.

Question about balanced / unbalanced. If a device is unbalanced let's say like the FlexHt. I would just need to buy RCA to XLR cables for my balanced gear and they are plug and play. If the dac was the Topping DM7 I would need to modify the cables, use an adapter, or buy a Y cable and cut off or don't use one side. Am I off here?

I'm leaning toward the Flex HT what do you guys /gals think?

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hey all! Many of you have been so helpful in my journey with DLBC. I'm seeking some advice on my next purchase for my 2.3 living room system.
The "problem" - I have Dirac Stereo + DLBC running on my Mac mini. I'm running 3 Dacs and I have discovered my r2r dac has a fifo buffer on the digital outputs and does not play well in this configuration where consistent timing is key.
(my knowledge is limited and this conclusion could be wrong but after troubleshooting every way I could think of, this is the conclusion I came up with.)
See my thread starting with post 46 if you want more info on this
Dirac Mac Mini Help

I'm seeking to purchase a new DAC that plays well with the others and has optical in, volume control, and is able to pass at least 96Khz. Bonus items would be a screen displaying volume, balanced and unbalanced outputs, software/user interface, EARC, and a remote.

Option 1 would be to purchase any decent SMSL or Topping connect and enjoy.
Strengths: Balanced outputs to my balanced amp, no additional cables required, and the cheapest option.
Weakness: Still running 3 dacs which would potentially be prone to more problems.

Option 2: Multipchannel dac.
Topping DM7 is DQ'ed due to being USB only. I believe the Dac8 pro is USB only as well.
Optical is kind of important as we watch a lot of sports on the tv via an antenna, not sure how I could send the audio to devices if watching a game on the antenna besides optical in or earc.

Motu M4: Question, this option provides the flexibility of being able to connect balanced/unbalanced at the same time correct? In my use case, I would run 2 balanced cables to my balanced amp for the front L/R and two unbalanced RCA's to my two unbalanced subwoofers. In this setup, I would use two dac's down from 3 and have my balanced subwoofer going to dac 2.
Strengths: 3 Dacs to 2, comes with software u/i, able to pass full freq Dirac (192khz), price
Weakness: Just saw no optical out : (

MOTU Ultralite mk5: All the same as above but with more output channels. This would take me from 3 dac's down to 1. From the looks of it, this device has balanced outputs only correct? No mix-and-match like the M4? I have no experience at all with devices like the Moto stuff please excuse my lack of knowledge about them.

Minidsp FlexHt
Strength: all the flexibility and control provided by the minidsp software, earc, optical, 3 dac down to 1.
Weakness: Limited to 96Khz, unbalanced out only

I'm aware of the FlexHTx ...this does provide a mixture of balanced and unbalanced which would be nice, but from my understanding, I would be ok using modified cables. This would also save me $350 I think it is.

Option 3: X3800H. I could still use my purifi amp with this and use the Denon as HDMI switch/preamp. I could still use DLBC on the MAC although the option to sell DLBC pc and buy it for the Denon is there I guess too.

Question about balanced / unbalanced. If a device is unbalanced let's say like the FlexHt. I would just need to buy RCA to XLR cables for my balanced gear and they are plug and play. If the dac was the Topping DM7 I would need to modify the cables, use an adapter, or buy a Y cable and cut off or don't use one side. Am I off here?

I'm leaning toward the Flex HT what do you guys /gals think?
If money isn’t a problem and you’re fine with getting another Bass Control license, go for the Denon.

The ease of use and option to upgrade to multichannel setups later and being able to upmix is a big plus in my opinion. It’s also not that much more expense than the other setup options.

If you don’t need multichannel and are fine with using a Mac even when watching TV, go for the Topping.

It doesn’t matter if your DAC has an optical input or not because you need to loop the optical signal through macOS to be able to use Bass Control. This can be done with a cheap optical to usb adapter and a program like loopback.

RickyC34

@juliangst Thanks for the response. To be clear we currently use the Mac to consume 95% of all media. We only use the antenna to watch sports. I've ran a PC in the living room for years and it's now pretty hard to get away from. Thanks for the optical/usb converter suggestion, I was not aware of that. I was just thinking of using 2.0 no eq'ed while watching sports. Why the optical and volume controls were listed as must-haves.

If I could start over I would just get the Denon and be done with it. Buying another DLBC license is not ideal.

A couple of the reasons I purchased Dirac+DLBC on Pc was the ability to upsample, as I find Apple does a really nice job of this, and for future upgrade "protection". Meaning you own the license and can use it on multiple devices. I don't see much of a bottleneck via a pc/mac and had hoped ART would be an option for me down the road.

I may go the Topping/Smsl route as this would be the cheapest. Buy from somewhere with the option to return if not happy.

Thanks for your input.

levimax

Major Contributor
Hello, this thread is a great resource especially since DIRAC documentation doesn't seem to be available currently. I bought the DIRAC+DLBC package on the Black Friday deal and it is working well on 2 channels (with 2 subs) but I want to try out the DLBC part now. I am running Windows 10 with a 2 channel USB DAC and since I have several other 2 channel DAC's I was wondering if anyone can confirm that Voicemeeter Potato can be used successfully to combine 2 - 2 channel USB DAC's and work correctly with DLBC. Thank you.

Dathzo

Hi,

I have been reading this thread with great interest. I also got DLBC recently for my 2.2 setup (with a PC). I have a RME Fireface UCX ii for the 4 channels. After hitting calibration and getting the 2 speakers and 2 subwoofers in the Dirac Live app, when pressing the play buttons of the subwoofers, I get sound in the mains as well (on the L channel when I play 1 sub, and on the R channel with I play the other sub). This is probably an issue with the routing of the sound card. Any guidance on how should I do that?
@Flak, you have a similar system with a Motu M4, any tips on the routing is much appreciated.
Thanks to all in advance

RickyC34

Hello, this thread is a great resource especially since DIRAC documentation doesn't seem to be available currently. I bought the DIRAC+DLBC package on the Black Friday deal and it is working well on 2 channels (with 2 subs) but I want to try out the DLBC part now. I am running Windows 10 with a 2 channel USB DAC and since I have several other 2 channel DAC's I was wondering if anyone can confirm that Voicemeeter Potato can be used successfully to combine 2 - 2 channel USB DAC's and work correctly with DLBC. Thank you.
looks possible check out post #101 on this thread form @juliangst. I'm on Mac and have no hands-on experience with VM.

RickyC34

Does anybody know when website https://confluence.dirac.services/ would be running again if ever? There was many usuful information and download links there and it is been shut down for a while.
Sounds useful! I'm not sure what this was but was this community driven or from Dirac? Here's a list of helpful links via Dirac. Not sure if this is the same thing or not? Help Desk Links

Hi,

I have been reading this thread with great interest. I also got DLBC recently for my 2.2 setup (with a PC). I have a RME Fireface UCX ii for the 4 channels. After hitting calibration and getting the 2 speakers and 2 subwoofers in the Dirac Live app, when pressing the play buttons of the subwoofers, I get sound in the mains as well (on the L channel when I play 1 sub, and on the R channel with I play the other sub). This is probably an issue with the routing of the sound card. Any guidance on how should I do that?
@Flak, you have a similar system with a Motu M4, any tips on the routing is much appreciated.
Thanks to all in advance
Under cusomt channel config does your screen match the post on #401 on this thread? Click cusotme / stereo then click add subwoofer twice.

Dathzo

Sounds useful! I'm not sure what this was but was this community driven or from Dirac? Here's a list of helpful links via Dirac. Not sure if this is the same thing or not? Help Desk Links

Under cusomt channel config does your screen match the post on #401 on this thread? Click cusotme / stereo then click add subwoofer twice.
Thanks Ricky!
Yes, it does, I think I found the issue… seems I have been messing around with the rooting in TotalMix and was not sending signal to the subwoofer outputs. I did a quick test today and managed to have signal.
After correction, when I used DLBC and have the filter on, I see the 4 meters moving in the Dirac Live Processor. However, if I only create a Dirac Live filter, only see 2 meters moving when music is played (even if my subs are getting signal and they sound). Is this the way it’s supposed to be? Thanks again

RickyC34

Thanks Ricky!
Yes, it does, I think I found the issue… seems I have been messing around with the rooting in TotalMix and was not sending signal to the subwoofer outputs. I did a quick test today and managed to have signal.
After correction, when I used DLBC and have the filter on, I see the 4 meters moving in the Dirac Live Processor. However, if I only create a Dirac Live filter, only see 2 meters moving when music is played (even if my subs are getting signal and they sound). Is this the way it’s supposed to be? Thanks again
I believe this is correct. They have changed the names a few times so I may be off but top option dirac live =2.0, the middle option is bass management mains + subs, and the bottom DLBC mains + subs.

One thing I dislike is that when making a DLBC filer you can toggle your filter on/off to compare.. well when you turn it off the subs are turned off as well. This is a PITA when trying to compare what Dirac did to my subs using REW. I pretty much have to make a DLBC filter with no EQ applied to my subs, move the curtians out of the way as much as possible, save it to one of my slots, unplug my front L/R all just to get a pre-dirac sub measuremnt! There has to be an easier way to go about this right? any fellow DLBC memebers out there have any advice or can confirm this is the same for their system as well?

Dathzo

I believe this is correct. They have changed the names a few times so I may be off but top option dirac live =2.0, the middle option is bass management mains + subs, and the bottom DLBC mains + subs.

One thing I dislike is that when making a DLBC filer you can toggle your filter on/off to compare.. well when you turn it off the subs are turned off as well. This is a PITA when trying to compare what Dirac did to my subs using REW. I pretty much have to make a DLBC filter with no EQ applied to my subs, move the curtians out of the way as much as possible, save it to one of my slots, unplug my front L/R all just to get a pre-dirac sub measuremnt! There has to be an easier way to go about this right? any fellow DLBC memebers out there have any advice or can confirm this is the same for their system as well?
Thanks again. I’m my case, the subs are on regardless of the Dirac filters engaged, and regardless if they are on/off. having or not sound of the subs depends solely of the sound routing from the soundcard software (TotalMix from RME in my case). That is why I found strange to only have meters for channels 1 and 2 (mains) in the Dirac Live processor, where I can hear the subs playing music. REW would be an interesting and necessary step, but curious to hear other experiences

levimax

Major Contributor
Nice. How do you like it? Impressed? Worth the money in your opinion?
I have been doing manual DSP using REW and Rephase for years and was always curious what DIRAC could do. I saw the sale and 14 day trial and tried the regular DIRAC (I have a 2.2 system will full range speakers and 2 subs) and DIRAC created a filter that "looked better" (tested with REW) and sounded better than my REW/ manual filters. Since I have 2 subs I bought the "package" as it was on sale and a better deal but I have not tried the sub integration yet as I need some additional hardware.

To me it seems expensive but if you value your time it is so much easier and faster than learning REW and while I am sure it is possible to create manual filters as good or better, DIRAC beat my best efforts. I don't think there is anything I could spend the money on to make as big of a positive difference. Hopefully the sub integration will improve things even more.

Top Bottom