• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Live Bass Control coming to Dirac Live Stereo This YEAR!!

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
I’m mainly using Audirvana for music playback, but the Music app or Safari work just as well with Dirac Virtual Audio Device as playback device.

RickyC34

I contacted Dirac last Friday and really hope to hear back soon. I'm itching to get started. If Dirac contacts me and we get it worked out before I figure it out with the help of ASR I'll make sure to post on here for anyone else that runs into this issue.

Big thanks to all of those who have tried to help me.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
One last thing, I notice you use the Dirac Virtual Audio Device for system alert sounds. It’s probably best not to do that, as it might cause issues with sample rate switching, exclusive device access, etc. Use the Mac mini internal speaker for system sounds.

I don’t think it’s the cause of your problem, but might be worthwhile getting out of the way.

RickyC34

Happy to report Dirac got back to me this morning and we are getting there! From Dirac "The filter needs to be a Bass Control or a Bass Management filter. If it isn't, nothing will be upmixed to the subwoofers." I thought I had clicked bass control, calculate, and save but it appears I saved it just as a nonbass control filter. I reran calibration and made sure to save a filter in slot one using bass management and boom output from both speakers and both subs! You can tell what kind of filter you have after hitting calibrate on the processor. You can see the filter type there. either RC, BM or BC.

The only issue I have now is that the subwoofers are nearly mute. If I crank their dial up to 80-90% they are audible. Calibration had me turn their dial to about 15-20%. I'm sure I just need to adjust target curves etc.

RickyC34

I downloaded the zip file of Haman curves and the + 10 option brought my system to life! I've noticed some audio glitching while playing back audio from Safari a couple of times. I paused the stream and it stopped once I resumed. No issues while playing back via Chrome, Spotify, or Tidal.

RickyC34

White is the corrected response post-Dirac. Orange is the subwoofers and red is my speakers both before Dirac. I can't do a direct comparison because if I slide the slider on my filter off only my two speakers play in REW. 2nd pic is my subs and 3rd is my speakers only pre and post Dirac.

I'm "upgrading" from a Minidsp 2x4 HD + Dirac. This weekend I plan to do some comparisons. I'll share my results.

Things seem to be working well. Big thanks to everyone who helped me.

I mostly use TIdal for playback, I've turned exclusive mode on but my dacs never change their sample rate. I've seen workarounds for this with Apple Music using the LosslessSwitcher. I assume this work on apple music only?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 6.40.30 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 6.40.30 PM.png
    219.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 6.36.12 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 6.36.12 PM.png
    169.4 KB · Views: 140

Davide

Anyone know the type of crossover filter that BC apply to subs?

Zoomer

$499

MarkS

Major Contributor
What's the difference between Dirac without DLBC and having it?
DLBC integrates subwoofers with the main speakers. With Dirac only, you have to do the integration some other way first, and then Dirac corrects the overall sound.

Davide

What's the difference between Dirac without DLBC and having it?
Dirac Live Bass Control

Price aside, I've been testing it recently and the consistency it manages to obtain in the bass is interesting.

I'll take several measurements later to show how it works (in my specific system). One thing that intrigues me and I haven't checked yet is what crossover filter it sets.

xrqp

Forum Donor
DutchJay said:
Is that the difference with bass control that with bass control dirac will make sure you have good bass across mutiple seats and with standard Dirac live it is only in your seat?
Not the case.

Multi Sub Optimizer (MSO) is supposed to do that. I assumed DLBC would too, until I read Kal's answer.

Flak

Industry Insider
heads-up :)

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@Flak Many of us utilize Dirac Live through components such as miniDSP FLEX. The room measurements, processing and filter adjustments are made on a PC, then transferred to the miniDSP component for use. Will DLBC available for these miniDSP users? Will there be an additional cost or will this be a free upgrade?
Thanks!

Flak

Industry Insider
@Flak Many of us utilize Dirac Live through components such as miniDSP FLEX. The room measurements, processing and filter adjustments are made on a PC, then transferred to the miniDSP component for use. Will DLBC available for these miniDSP users? Will there be an additional cost or will this be a free upgrade?
Thanks!
I think that the miniDSP FLEX cannot support Dirac Live Bass Control as four independent channels are required while the FLEX has two input channels only,
sorry :(
I very much hope that a miniDSP processor supporting DLBC will be available in the future... currently, for my personal 2.2 system, I'm using this audio card that measured quite well as a DAC:

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think that the miniDSP FLEX cannot support Dirac Live Bass Control as four independent channels are required while the FLEX has two input channels only,
I very much hope that a miniDSP processor supporting DLBC will be available in the future... currently, for my personal 2.2 system, I'm using this audio card that measured quite well as a DAC:
The NAD M66 also has two input channels only and supports Bass Control.
But I also don’t think the Flex will get BC support. Dirac live+ BC would end up costing more than the Flex itself

Flak

Industry Insider
The NAD M66 also has two input channels only and supports Bass Control.
But I also don’t think the Flex will get BC support. Dirac live+ BC would end up costing more than the Flex itself
With reference to the NAD M66, my understanding is that the channels for the subwoofer/s are available via NAD BluOS

Karu

Forum Donor
And Dirac processing happens in the computer?

Flak

Industry Insider
And Dirac processing happens in the computer?
The filters creation happens prevalently in the computer and partly in the cloud (more in the future) while the real time processing of the filters will happen in the computer if the standalone Dirac Processor is used... if not, an external processor is used (i.e the Flex, an AVR, a Dirac enabled speaker, etc.)

Karu

Forum Donor
Sorry, I meant in your 2.2 system where you have the MOTU, where do you have dirac dlbc in the flow?

Top Bottom