• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Live Bass Control coming to Dirac Live Stereo This YEAR!!

Geertidow

The benefit DLBC will currently offer you is automated mains/sub crossover blending. If you’re happy that may not be a huge benefit. The potential future benefit is how easy it makes scaling up your subs. Multisubs generally offer huge improvements over any single sub, if you care about multiple seating positions.
That seems unlikely, so maybe this is overkill for me. Thanks for your reply

Geertidow

Just wondering, if I only use the toslink and analog input on a regular amplifier.
Is there any benefit of the flex over the ddrc-24?

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have a unique routing situation with my active crossover 3-way speakers + 2 subs and getting it to my 8ch Okto on Mac which I finally figured out. I'm still using the beta version that I was given for testing so this might not be necessary in the final release software. It should work for any multi channel DAC.

I created a 4 channel device in Rogue Amoeba's Loopback software and directed output channels 1&2 to Blackhole, 3&4 go directly to 7&8 input channels on the Okto. As an alternative you could use another 2ch instance of Loopback (paid) or use the (free) 2&16ch versions of Blackhole.
Screenshot 2023-05-10 at 3.07.24 PM.jpg

Which is routed into Dirac:
Screenshot 2023-05-10 at 3.08.10 PM.jpg

And then into @mitchco's brilliant Hang Loose Convolver app where the XO separates the signal into woofer, mid and tweeter drivers. Dirac sends the sub content to channels 7&8 as shown in the first picture. Since Dirac is handling the XO between subs and woofers my filter set now only requires HP/LP filters between woofer/mid and mid/tweet. HLC will allow you to add more channels if you want for you crazy 7.4.4 people who listen to stereo content.

This allows me to create individual speaker driver corrections from near field measurements, then box + crossover points/slopes/phase and implement them via impulse .wav FIR filters before any measurement/correction for the speakers in pair or in the room is even considered via Dirac or any of the other DSP/DRC options out there. I'm using REW/MMM to measure and make corrections for those 6 driver then room measurements + rePhase to implement XO first to experiment with and I can instantly force my old sub/woofer driver XO with corrections to compare what Dirac is doing:
Screenshot 2023-05-10 at 3.32.43 PM.jpg

Seems to be working great. Previously attempts at sending the signal directly to the Okto from DLBC resulted in a undefeatable 7.1 configuration in Audio Midi Setup where my second sub would get a full range center channel sweep. This is a VERY unique audio routing scheme but maybe it'll help someone else out there so here it is. My theory is to give Dirac something approaching good to begin with and let it try to do some multi sub magic up to about 400Hz.

EDIT: for clarity, extra info and forgot to mention this allows for use of hardware volume control on the Okto and it's remote or using software/app. This is for system-wide audio processing or relegated to individual apps. I had come up with other solutions but this method uses the knob - long live the knob!

Last edited:

juliangst

New NAD M66 preamp announced with Dirac Live Bass Control support and 4 XLR subwoofer outs:

1683816224108.png
Future-Fi Now! NAD Masters M66 0-33 screenshot.png

DWPress

Forum Donor
So a couple days ago my DLBC Beta reverted to normal 2ch Dirac and naturally all my filters didn't load being 4ch. Dirac has pulled the license for beta testers, fair enough I suppose. Just wish I'd had a little notice as I spent quite a few hours trying to make things work again including Time Machine (Mac thing) restores.

I know there were a few other beta testers on this thread, did this affect anyone else or has everyone else just purchased?

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
So a couple days ago my DLBC Beta reverted to normal 2ch Dirac and naturally all my filters didn't load being 4ch. Dirac has pulled the license for beta testers, fair enough I suppose. Just wish I'd had a little notice as I spent quite a few hours trying to make things work again including Time Machine (Mac thing) restores.

I know there were a few other beta testers on this thread, did this affect anyone else or has everyone else just purchased?

Which versions of Dirac Live and Dirac Live Processor are you using? A month or so ago I updated Dirac Live Processor to the latest version (from 1.7.4-beta), and it turned my 2.2 setup into a 4.0 one. I was in a bit of a hurry and didn’t troubleshoot much further, but after reinstalling 1.7.4-beta everything worked again. Could it be that the beta license only works with beta versions of the Processor? My Dirac Live app is not a beta version, so that doesn’t seem to matter.

Incidentally, during a recent email exchange with Dirac about an unrelated support case of mine, Flavio from Dirac added, as a BTW, “please take into account that the Bass Control beta license will stop working at the end of the year.” Sure enough, my DLBC beta license now shows an expiry date of 2023-12-31 on the Dirac website. It previously said “never expires”.

DWPress

Forum Donor
Which versions of Dirac Live and Dirac Live Processor are you using?
I was using the 1.7.4 beta, hadn't upgraded either app but do have a license for Dirac Live. Flak replied In another thread that the beta licenses were indeed pulled by Dirac.

I was confused because the DLBC beta license on my customer portal still showed "never expires" so was trying to figure out what I'd screwed up. I ended up purchasing last night and got my partial refund today for being a beta tester.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
I was using the 1.7.4 beta, hadn't upgraded either app but do have a license for Dirac Live. Flak replied In another thread that the beta licenses were indeed pulled by Dirac.

I was confused because the DLBC beta license on my customer portal still showed "never expires" so was trying to figure out what I'd screwed up.

That’s really strange, if nothing changed and the license was still there, how could it start behaving differently? Unless the license information shown in the portal isn’t what the software is actually looking up.

DWPress

Forum Donor
I was a beta tester, my license was for the beta version, they've revoked the beta licenses. There is no separate download for Bass Control, it's integrated into Dirac Live and if you have the correct license it opens up the ability to use more than 2ch.

Since all my filters were now 4ch (L&R + 2 subs) they wouldn't load into the 2ch regular Dirac Processor nor could I edit them in Dirac Live. Despite what my license said online. Purchased now and within a few minutes everything was back to normal.

OP
AudioKC

AudioKC

I was a beta tester, my license was for the beta version, they've revoked the beta licenses. There is no separate download for Bass Control, it's integrated into Dirac Live and if you have the correct license it opens up the ability to use more than 2ch.

Since all my filters were now 4ch (L&R + 2 subs) they wouldn't load into the 2ch regular Dirac Processor nor could I edit them in Dirac Live. Despite what my license said online. Purchased now and within a few minutes everything was back to normal.

Same here. Asked support for clarification and for discount for testing

OP
AudioKC

AudioKC

OK. DLBC Beta app works only for 6 months. All beta testers got 30% discount. Bought DBLC and will remeasure my system this weekend.

OP
AudioKC

AudioKC

OK. DLBC Beta app works only for 6 months. All beta testers got 30% discount. Bought DBLC and will remeasure my system this weekend.

After reinstallation of Dirac Live Processor and adding a custom channel configuration with stereo + two subs, it restored my previous measurements and I was able to use filter designed previously, that I used in beta app. No need for remeasurements I guess.

RickyC34

Hello all, It seems a lot of people in this thread have similar setups to mine and I was seeking some help. I've been trying to get my 2.2 system with DLBC up and running for about 4 days now with no luck. I'm using a Mac mini with two separate dac's. The Mac mini is the M2 and I am new to Mac.

In the MIDI settings, I created an aggregate device with the two dac's and set the speaker config to stereo. Dirac virtual audio device is selected as the output device and its speaker config is set to stereo.

In the Dirac processor, selected custom channel config and stereo then added two subwoofers. Under audio settings of the processor aggregate device is selected and all four outputs are selected.

My problem is that during media playback from the Mac, only output from one dac works. If I hit test under the Dirac processor audio settings I get output from both dac's 2 subs and two speakers. If I start the Dirac calibration I see two speakers and two subwoofers. Calibration works as intended and output comes from each individual speaker. After I safe the settings there is zero output from my subwoofers. I know they are not even receiving the signal because at one point I had a minidsp as one of the dac's and watched the software plug-in. I've switched RCA's and then the subs work and not the speakers so I know all components are in working order. I just have a routing issue somehow.

Something else odd..If I select the aggregate device as the playback source vs the Dirac virtual audio device and play any audio I have a lot of loud static that plays along with the source.

Could this routing issue be seen in image 1? Stereo is selected as the config so only two speakers show. My two devices are listed at the top and two output routing options at the bottom. How should this be laid out?

Any help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• 4.png
    4.png
    67.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 3.png
    3.png
    481.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 2.png
    2.png
    105.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 1.png
    1.png
    278.4 KB · Views: 55

Ricwa

Forum Donor
In your first photo (1.png), try changing the configuration to quadraphonic.

RickyC34

In your first photo (1.png), try changing the configuration to quadraphonic.
Same result. With Dirac virtual device as playback, I only output from my speakers. If I select the aggregate device as playback just playback from just speakers and lots of static. If I select this as stereo and choose the two dac's at the top and select a speaker from each of them I get playback from one speaker and one subwoofer. This tells me the Mac is seeing the two separate devices and can play from each of them at once.

Ricwa

Forum Donor
Well then it sounds like the aggregate device itself is not working. Try checking drift correction on both. If that doesn’t work try swapping the drift correction settings. It sounds as if the DACs aren’t properly syncing.

RickyC34

Well then it sounds like the aggregate device itself is not working. Try checking drift correction on both. If that doesn’t work try swapping the drift correction settings. It sounds as if the DACs aren’t properly syncing.
I just tried that with no change in the outcome. the one change that occurred is if i selected the topping dac 1st in the aggregate device I get sounds from subs only vs speakers only. Is there a reason why the topping shows the primary volume all the way up and the schiit dac does not? There is no volume control on either dac just a heads up.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-17 at 3.46.28 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-17 at 3.46.28 PM.png
    569.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot 2023-06-17 at 3.45.11 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-17 at 3.45.11 PM.png
    343.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot 2023-06-17 at 3.44.24 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-17 at 3.44.24 PM.png
    352.8 KB · Views: 28

Ricwa

Forum Donor
Hmm, I saw your image #3 that says "topping internal clock" and said WTF? Then I looked up Topping D10s and see that it's a DDC as well as a DAC. I doubt it but, if the D10s shows up as a 4 or more channel USB input, your (elegant) solution would be to chain the Schiit to the Topping using SPDIF out of the D10s DDC feature and skip the aggregate device. Since that's probably not possible, I'd go back to first principles by making sure you can send audio to each DAC separately (without static) and then recreating the aggregate device with the Schiit set for drift correction.

This is above my pay grade but, I believe as a DDC, it has to be the clock master (which doesn't apply to USB) so you may be SOL using the Topping in an aggregate. In otherwords, the D10s might not be a DAC that can be used in an aggregate device. Any way you can beg/borrow another DAC to try instead of the Topping? Otherwise, sorry, I'm out of ideas and maybe someone else can chime in.

RickyC34

Hmm, I saw your image #3 that says "topping internal clock" and said WTF? Then I looked up Topping D10s and see that it's a DDC as well as a DAC. I doubt it but, if the D10s shows up as a 4 or more channel USB input, your (elegant) solution would be to chain the Schiit to the Topping using SPDIF out of the D10s DDC feature and skip the aggregate device. Since that's probably not possible, I'd go back to first principles by making sure you can send audio to each DAC separately (without static) and then recreating the aggregate device with the Schiit set for drift correction.

This is above my pay grade but, I believe as a DDC, it has to be the clock master (which doesn't apply to USB) so you may be SOL using the Topping in an aggregate. In otherwords, the D10s might not be a DAC that can be used in an aggregate device. Any way you can beg/borrow another DAC to try instead of the Topping? Otherwise, sorry, I'm out of ideas and maybe someone else can chime in.
The topping won't let me choose the input tab. I have other dacs here and tried the last few days. One was a mini dsp tho which can be a ddc. It just occurred to me that I have switched multiple dacs but the schiit has always been in the chain. Let me swap that out real quick to see if that changes anything.

I did as you suggested and selected each individual device, making it the source and confirming playback. I had no issues here but one thing did catch my eye. The topping still allowed me to adjust the volume on my keyboard and the Schiit did not. Typically on a Mac you only lose volume control when selecting an aggregate device.

RickyC34

Swapped the Schiit and same results.

The only way I have been able to get the source to play "correctly" is still wrong and believe It would cause issues. It's with loopback software. Others like @DWPress and @AudioKC appear to have had success with this program. My problem is still here in the program on the pass-tru device. On other posts, you can see they have output on channels besides 1 and 2. I have no output on Ch 3 or 4. I've attached a picture of how I have routed things. I feel like there has to be a downside to this right? It almost makes me feel like routing a mini dsp 2x 4. Any potential issues this could cause? When set up this way each individual speaker plays correctly in the Dirac volume calibration. Then again, that's the only place where I can get all four outputs to play. Successful routing with a similar setup to mine can be found on page 4.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    361.9 KB · Views: 44
Top Bottom