• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac ART is now running on beta FW for Denon Xx800H AVRs!

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I got it; that's what I was getting at. It's too bad that Dirac decided not to use main speakers as "subs" when they are able to act as subs by reproducing those frequencies adequately. I guess they thought that was just too rare to deal with.
Is that up to DIrac, or is that up to the decoder/mixer - which determines what should go where?

Given the mixers already decide on the directionality of decoded sound - and take 2 channel to distribute, or 5.1 to distribute to 7.1.4, etc...

I would have thought the logical place for such functionality would be in the decoder... I believe the "double bass" setting does this in the Dolby Surround decoder?

IamJF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When there are no other subs they will use the main speakers? And they use them to correct low frequencies also.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
When there are no other subs they will use the main speakers? And they use them to correct low frequencies also.
Yes - LFE gets distributed at least to front L&R when there is no sub - that applies to all the decoders.

But on many AVR's there is no option to distribute the LFE channel to any full range speakers

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Posted on Aug 05, 2023, the moderator of MiniDSP forums said:
1702590382351.png

MiniDSP can't talk about upcoming products.

Harryharryharry

Yeah I'm aware of that hence the speculation! I believe there was a hardware limitation with the previous range (2 ch dirac only?) but wonder if the multi channel diract HT lineup would be capable of DLBC / ART?

jtatknox

@PHD Tweet tweet

tdx

100% happening during 2024. 95% by the end of this April (double-checked).
there has been some chatter that while the 3800 and 4800 will get ART along with the 6800, they will only get a pared down version and only the 6800 and up will get the full fat ART. This rumor seems fishy to me, any chance it can be checked?

Thanks

OP
PHD

PHD

there has been some chatter that while the 3800 and 4800 will get ART along with the 6800, they will only get a pared down version and only the 6800 and up will get the full fat ART. This rumor seems fishy to me, any chance it can be checked?

Thanks
I don't know if that is possible because the pricing for ART licenses is going to be similar for all D&M products. I do know that starting from the X3800H and up, the DSP chips are fully capable of handling ART at 48kHz processing. It's too bad that even the A1H is limited to 48kHz processing when Dirac or Auddyssey are used. They didn't even increase the 20ft speaker-to-speaker distance correction limit which may lead to an error if one speaker is at 5ft away from the MLP and another is 26ft away from the MLP. Neither Dirac nor Auddyssey could compensate for such a scenario.

I can try and ask the insider next time I see him (he refuses to discuss such topics over digital media, which is understandable...)

tdx

I don't know if that is possible because the pricing for ART licenses is going to be similar for all D&M products. I do know that starting from the X3800H and up, the DSP chips are fully capable of handling ART at 48kHz processing. It's too bad that even the A1H is limited to 48kHz processing when Dirac or Auddyssey are used. They didn't even increase the 20ft speaker-to-speaker distance correction limit which may lead to an error if one speaker is at 5ft away from the MLP and another is 26ft away from the MLP. Neither Dirac nor Auddyssey could compensate for such a scenario.

I can try and ask the insider next time I see him (he refuses to discuss such topics over digital media, which is understandable...)
Appreciate it thanks

pogo

Major Contributor
I do know that starting from the X3800H and up, the DSP chips are fully capable of handling ART at 48kHz processing. It's too bad that even the A1H is limited to 48kHz processing when Dirac or Auddyssey are used.
That would be an absolute NOGO for me :facepalm:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
starting from the X3800H and up, the DSP chips are fully capable of handling ART at 48kHz processing
What I don’t think will be known is the number of filters they will be capable of. It could be possible that there is a restriction on the number of filters and/or support speakers used depending on the model. So it is possible there could be some limitations based on the capabilities of a particular model.

slaweks

Forum Donor

Hi, I am told that the 20ft limit is no longer there, see https://support-uk.denon.com/app/an...latest-heos-app-and-firmware-update-available, update U30.1

Exalix

Cinema 50(3800), 40(4800) and AV 10 uses the same DSP config. Wouldn't make sense if AV 10 would come with a restricted or limited version of ART over the Cinema 30 (6800).

Top Bottom