• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIRAC AND ROOM TREATMENT

eyes-on-you

well if you want to move your entire library to Roon and pay for its monthly subscription i guess that could work.

However, it's important to understand that Roon does not have an automated EQ service, you have to provide the input or the necessary changes.

As for the MiniDSP SHD Studio, it provides Dirac which is an automated EQ system that holds your hands during the entire process and does not require you to change your consumption habits in anyway.
I don’t have a library. I have only a Qobuz account.

In this case, I see two different ways for me, right?

1) Selling Lumin and buying MiniDSP SHD Studio

2) After purchasing a monthly subscription to Roon, taking measurements with REW and manually setting the EQ on Roon according to the results (I have no idea how to do this) and continiue to use Lumin as a Roon endpoit with EQ.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In this case, I see two different ways for me, right?

1) Selling Lumin and buying MiniDSP SHD Studio

2) After purchasing a monthly subscription to Roon, taking measurements with REW and manually setting the EQ on Roon according to the results (I have no idea how to do this) and continiue to use Lumin as a Roon endpoit with EQ.

I wouldn’t sell the Lumin before i am sure that the streaming capabilities of the SHD studio are suitable for my needs.

Personally I don’t like volumio too much and that’s the operation system they’re using.

all you have to do is take the optical out from lumin, plug it into the SHD studio and take the optical out from the SHD studio to the benchmark.

Use your PC for one time to run the Dirac calibration, add some negative gain in the SHD studio to prevent digital clipping (Dirac applies boost too, and nothing can go above 0 dBFS in the digital domain) and you’re all set.

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For 2), there is a good guide on how to get started on the Roon forum:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/a-guide-how-to-do-room-correction-and-use-it-in-roon/23800

There is also Amir’s unfinished masterpiece, the first two chapters of which are here:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/room-measurement-tutorial-for-dummies-part-1.4/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...om-measurement-tutorial-for-dummies-part-2.5/

Trell

Major Contributor
Hello,

3 gik 150mm absorption/diffusion panels for the back wall and two monster traps with membrane for the front are on their way…
Lets see if they will remedy this

They'll help a little but you'll need much more area coverage to have a good effect. You can also put a little space behind the 150mm panels for better absorption at lower frequencies, and you can do the same with the monster traps.

You probably have tried moving speakers around as well as listening position, if your room permits it. Subwoofers can help as well as you can place them more freely to where they have a beneficial impact on the fr response.

Below is older pictures of my living room where I've added panels below the old ones so that there are panels from floor to ceiling. The backwall panels have 9.5 cm space added. Not shown is a floor-ceiling panels straddling a corner. All panels are 10 cm thick.

Ca 50% of front and back wall is covered with panels and still I need more bass traps.

front_wall_all_traps - Copy2.jpg

back_wall - Copy3.jpg

Last edited:

eyes-on-you

I wouldn’t sell the Lumin before i am sure that the streaming capabilities of the SHD studio are suitable for my needs.

Personally I don’t like volumio too much and that’s the operation system they’re using.

all you have to do is take the optical out from lumin, plug it into the SHD studio and take the optical out from the SHD studio to the benchmark.

Use your PC for one time to run the Dirac calibration, add some negative gain in the SHD studio to prevent digital clipping (Dirac applies boost too, and nothing can go above 0 dBFS in the digital domain) and you’re all set.

I saw it in second-hand markat in my location and the price is quite affordable.

Do you think this will be the solution?

Mini DSP USB Streamer B

https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/usbstreamer-box

OP
G

Georgeadv

They'll help a little but you'll need much more area coverage to have a good effect. You can also put a little space behind the 150mm panels for better absorption at lower frequencies, and you can do the same with the monster traps.

You probably have tried moving speakers around as well as listening position, if your room permits it. Subwoofers can help as well as you can place them more freely to where they have a beneficial impact on the fr response.

Below is older pictures from my living room where I've added panels below the old ones so that there are panels from floor to ceiling. The backwall panels have 3.5 inches space added. Not shown is a floor-ceiling panels straddling a corner.

Ca 50% of front and back wall is covered with panels and still I need more bass traps.

View attachment 133013

View attachment 133012

Nice setup! Thats a lot of panels though!

Do you use the corner traps or soffit for floor to ceiling?

My plan is to purchase these first, measure and then order again…

I will try to move my coffee table and take some measurements tomorrow…

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Below is older pictures of my living room where I've added panels below the old ones so that there are panels from floor to ceiling. The backwall panels have 9.5 cm space added. Not shown is a floor-ceiling panels straddling a corner. All panels are 10 cm thick.

View attachment 133013

View attachment 133012

that is just gorgeous! Any reason why you picked the Gray wood finish? it doesn't match neither the floor or the speakers.

Trell

Major Contributor
Nice setup! Thats a lot of panels though!

Do you use the corner traps or soffit for floor to ceiling?

My plan is to purchase these first, measure and then order again…

I will try to move my coffee table and take some measurements tomorrow…

Yeah, lots of panels :)

Like you I bought the panels and corner traps from GIK Acoustics, and I bought them in stages after measurements. Sadly, I've limited opportunity to change layout of my room.

The panels straddling the floor-ceiling are two GIK Alpha rectangular 60 cm * 120 cm that are 10 cm thick. All my panels and traps have scatter plates as to avoid over dampening the high frequencies.

Trell

Major Contributor
that is just gorgeous! Any reason why you picked the Gray wood finish? it doesn't match neither the floor or the speakers.

Black is too gloomy and the other veneers have a too light a color so that I'll see their reflection in the OLED TV. So gray veneer was the only available choice by elimination :) If GIK had oak veneers that would have been perfect.

OP
G

Georgeadv

Yeah, lots of panels :)

Like you I bought the panels and corner traps from GIK Acoustics, and I bought them in stages after measurements. Sadly, I've limited opportunity to change layout of my room.

The panels straddling the floor-ceiling are two GIK Alpha rectangular 60 cm * 120 cm that are 10 cm thick. All my panels and traps have scatter plates as to avoid over dampening the high frequencies.

Is your room open on one side?
Were your measurements nearly as bad as mine?

Trell

Major Contributor
Is your room open on one side?
Were your measurements nearly as bad as mine?

My room is not open, but it is small (3.5 m by 5.3 m) so lots of bass issues, but much better after added basstraps and room EQ. What the walls/floor/ceiling are made of have a big impact on fr response and mine have different materials.

Just by moving the speakers and subwoofers I could improve the response quite a bit, and REW was very helpful here. There is a deep null centred at 28 Hz that is difficult to remove by bass traps (needs much more of them, and they must be real thick), moving the MLP or adding more subwoofers. Mostly it's about moving the MLP, which I can't.

This is a Dirac thread but just to show my response with the room EQ I use. There is an issue with front right speaker that is related to my two subwoofers, and it is something I'm going to work on. The LR response looks better and most (?) bass is summed to mono from about 120 Hz or less.

1622500496066.png

1622500683187.png

Last edited:
OP
G

Georgeadv

My room is not open, but it is small (3.5 m by 5.3 m) so lots of bass issues, but much better after added basstraps and room EQ. What the walls/floor/ceiling are made of have a big impact on fr response and mine have different materials.

Just by moving the speakers and subwoofers I could improve the response quite a bit, and REW was very helpful here. There is a deep null centred at 28 Hz that is difficult to remove by bass traps (needs much more of them, and they must be real thick), moving the MLP or adding more subwoofers. Mostly it's about moving the MLP, which I can't.

Would you mind sharing your FR if you already have a copy available?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

my living room has similar dimensions, the reflections from the back wall (i sit similarly close to it) basically add a big low Q decrease in amplitude from 100Hz to 1KHz. did you experience something similar? is your low end above 100Hz fixed now?

Trell

Major Contributor
my living room has similar dimensions, the reflections from the back wall (i sit similarly close to it) basically add a big low Q decrease in amplitude from 100Hz to 1KHz. did you experience something similar? is your low end above 100Hz fixed now?

I edited my above post to show some measurements I did a while ago. The measurements where taken after I added more panels, along with adding space behind back wall panels, so my pictures does not show these added panels.

It's better but there are still some issues, like from SBIR and/or ceiling but I've not specifically tested for that. Placement of speakers/subwoofers along with room treatments helps with those issues, but there are limits to what I can achieve and just have to call it a day.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I edited my above post to show some measurements I did a while ago. The measurements where taken after I added more panels, along with adding space behind back wall panels, so my pictures does not show these added panels.

It's better but there are still some issues, like from SBIR and/or ceiling but I've not specifically tested for that. Placement of speakers/subwoofers along with room treatments helps with those issues, but there are limits to what I can achieve and just have to call it a day.

moving away from boutique speakers to more flat speakers would probably fix the little messiness left in the high frequencies.

As for SBIR/LBIR your response from 100 to 400Hz is sublime, don't think you can get it better than that.

Trell

Major Contributor
moving away from boutique speakers to more flat speakers would probably fix the little messiness left in the high frequencies.

As for SBIR/LBIR your response from 100 to 400Hz is sublime, don't think you can get it better than that.

I've been toying with the idea to have Genelec 8350A monitors for LCR and Genelec 8340A for surrounds after I got the 8330A for my home office. The 8351B would be nice too but twice as expensive. Still just on toying stage...

Last edited:

Descartes

Major Contributor

View attachment 133013

View attachment 133012
Already then!! And your family is ok with that much treatment, have you thought about the ceiling it does wonders’

Trell

Major Contributor
Already then!! And your family is ok with that much treatment, have you thought about the ceiling it does wonders’

They are OK, up to point :) No soffit type bass traps, and the ceiling is off-limits.

The GIK Acoustics panels with scatter plates are quite nice, and the reason I could put them in the living room in the first place.

Top Bottom