• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIRAC AND ROOM TREATMENT

OP
G

Georgeadv

Hello
This is after eq right left

I hope the acoustic panels will help this variation

t
left_right_aftereq.jpg

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know what in the world is going on but the left speaker looks WEIRD. like there are consistent ripples it's crazy, did you hear anything weird going on during the measurements?

Right is obviously much better but it's still a bit too messy, this is one of my measurments of my speakers in the living room (very reflective) with var smoothing. the speaker is measured by the NFS and is anechoicly flat

1622492375189.png

my advice is that you don't apply any EQ above 1KHz, (unless someone's EQ calculated off anechoic measurments).

did you make sure that both the file you play at Roon and the settings at Roon have matching sample rate? with the UMIK-1 you have to use 48KHz files.

OP
G

Georgeadv

I don't know what in the world is going on but the left speaker looks WEIRD. like there are consistent ripples it's crazy, did you hear anything weird going on during the measurements?

Right is obviously much better but it's still a bit too messy, this is one of my measurments of my speakers in the living room (very reflective) with var smoothing. the speaker is measured by the NFS and is anechoicly flat

View attachment 132995

my advice is that you don't apply any EQ above 1KHz, (unless someone's EQ calculated off anechoic measurments).

did you make sure that both the file you play at Roon and the settings at Roon have matching sample rate? with the UMIK-1 you have to use 48KHz files.

I did use 48hz and only eqed up to 180hz

The left speaker is close to the wall and the right open to open plan.. maybe that is the cause?

Also the front wall is perfectly straight… is 4cm closer to the left speaker in comparison to the right

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I did use 48hz and only eqed up to 180hz

The left speaker is close to the wall and the right open to open plan.. maybe that is the cause?

Also the front wall is perfectly straight… is 4cm closer to the left speaker in comparison to the right

I'm not sure i haven't experienced that before.

Btw, feel free to do Speaker correction EQ first before doing measurements for room correction, the speaker is already very excellent and doesn't need much but it could give you slightly better results.

so try to remove all the EQ you have set and follow the 'Score' EQ in this post. if you feel it makes the response worse of course feel free to not use it as well.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-spinorama-and-measurements.18353/post-603589

After you have applied that EQ, do measurements from scratch and EQ up to 500Hz. don't add any boost.

lets see how it looks post speaker correction and post room correction.

btw you're using accoustic timing reference right?

OP
G

Georgeadv

I'm not sure i haven't experienced that before.

Btw, feel free to do Speaker correction EQ first before doing measurements for room correction, the speaker is already very excellent and doesn't need much but it could give you slightly better results.

so try to remove all the EQ you have set and follow the 'Score' EQ in this post. if you feel it makes the response worse of course feel free to not use it as well.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-spinorama-and-measurements.18353/post-603589

After you have applied that EQ, do measurements from scratch and EQ up to 500Hz. don't add any boost.

lets see how it looks post speaker correction and post room correction.

btw you're using accoustic timing reference right?

Yes am using timing reference…
I will look into that and give it a try
Thanks…

I will again measurements to see if something was wrong with the mic

OP
G

Georgeadv

Hello,

3 gik 150mm absorption/diffusion panels for the back wall and two monster traps with membrane for the front are on their way…
Lets see if they will remedy this

eyes-on-you

Hi George,

Is there any way to use Dirac or REW eq without Roon?

Audirvana don’t support?

I have Macbook and Lumin streamer.

I have no experience in this. There is no eq support in Lumin. How do i apply eq, i'm thinking about it.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi George,

Is there any way to use Dirac or REW eq without Roon?

Audirvana don’t support?

I have Macbook and Lumin streamer.

I have no experience in this. There is no eq support in Lumin. How do i apply eq, i'm thinking about it.

you can use EqualizerAPO if you don't do any streaming and having your DAC directly connected to your PC.

eyes-on-you

you can use EqualizerAPO if you don't do any streaming and having your DAC directly connected to your PC.

My Benchmark dac2 connected to Lumin via optical toslink.

Lumin streams by itself.

Mac/pc is not in the current audio chain.

if i able to use dirac or rew via lumin as a stream transport, i can add mac in the same network on my audio chain.

I want to learn; I have Audirvana. Can I use stream services over Audirvana on the same network?

If this is not possible, is it possible to buy Roon and use macbook as roon server and use eq with dirac or rew with the Roon? (this is a much more expensive way for me. I'll have to buy yearly Roon account)

in short; Is it possible to use eq without moving my computer to my living room and connecting it to my dac via usb? (except for measurements of course, I mean while listening to music)

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My Benchmark dac2 connected to Lumin via optical toslink.

Lumin streams by itself.

Mac/pc is not in the current audio chain.

you have to check if Lumin itself offers any Room EQ options.

otherwise you have to put a device in the middle between the Lumin and the DAC such as the MiniDSP SHD studio.

OP
G

Georgeadv

I have my Mac connected to the amp directly that's why I use Roon and rew. I prefer roon over audirvana :p

I took another measurement and here is the result.
EDIT: I dont know if the coffee table might be contributing to this...

with such a room I dont even know if its worth investing in hifi : /

2nd_left_right.jpg

Last edited:

eyes-on-you

you have to check if Lumin itself offers any Room EQ options.

otherwise you have to put a device in the middle between the Lumin and the DAC such as the MiniDSP SHD studio.

Lumin don’t have room EQ options but it supports Roon Endpoint.

Can I use EQ on Lumin as a Roon Endpoint? (With Dirac/REW)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lumin don’t have Roon EQ options but it supports Roon Endpoint.

Can I EQ using Lumin as a Roon Endpoint? (With Dirac/REW)

well if you want to move your entire library to Roon and pay for its monthly subscription i guess that could work.

However, it's important to understand that Roon does not have an automated EQ service, you have to provide the input or the necessary changes.

As for the MiniDSP SHD Studio, it provides Dirac which is an automated EQ system that holds your hands during the entire process and does not require you to change your consumption habits in anyway.

Top Bottom