• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Digital vs Vinyl

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Perhaps you just can't tell the difference between an Engineer and a Pizza Hut employee . . . what does that say about you?
I suppose Pizza Hut (I like their pizzas by the way), calls them 'pizza engineers'. :oops:

OP
A

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’ve warned people not to engage.
I confess to engaging at times I shouldn't have. On another point, your Thomas Sowell quote seems very applicable here . . .

Robin L

Master Contributor
]devomer etouQ[
He's someone with a technical background that relates to this audio forum and the issues within. You, as far as I can tell, don't. He has credibility. As of this moment, you have none

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
or any moment . . .
Troll.png

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Troll like posts removed and poster issued a warning and 2 week thread ban. You guys are never going to learn that feeding the trolls is very time consuming for your poor Moderation Team! ;)

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
This guy is more than troll, he is a scam artist and should be unabashedly labelled as such. That's not an insult, it is objective fact. I was dead serious about adding that tag to his profile to clearly identify him as a scammer. Either that or he should be banned forever. Is it just someone impersonating the real Geoff Kaite to troll us? Possibly - but it doesn't matter - the solution is the same. If he wants to walk among us he must wear a scarlet S so everyone knows what he is.
I had the morbid curiosity to google Machina Dynamica - I wish I had resisted the urge. :eek:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
On another point, your Thomas Sowell quote seems very applicable here . . .

I bought a copy of Knowledge and Decisions as a going-away gift to one of my staff who's heading to greener pastures.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought a copy of Knowledge and Decisions as a going-away gift to one of my staff who's heading to greener pastures.
IMO, that is the best of his books. Not that the others aren't good, but I think that one is his best most fundamental work.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Thread notice. No more personal insults will be permitted. They will be deleted immediately and you will receive a reply ban automatically.

audio2design

Major Contributor
Do you agree that the volume of the sound would be lower with a blanket over the speakers? I’m sure you will say yes to that question, right? And volume is independent of frequency response, yes? Now we’re making some headway. :)

Shouldn't you now be making a link to the long debunked dynamic range database or have you already done that? Not sure where you are in your typical playbook? You didn't know that the numbers for vinyl on that data base are erroneous? Oh pishaw!!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Shouldn't you now be making a link to the long debunked dynamic range database or have you already done that? Not sure where you are in your typical playbook? You didn't know that the numbers for vinyl on that data base are erroneous? Oh pishaw!!

Why are you feeding it?

audio2design

Major Contributor
I personally find a strong correlation between dynamic range scores on the database and listening tests. Take for example any Rolling Stones CD starting with Bridges to Babylon and you will find them all terribly compressed and horrible sounding. BTB is actually an excellent example of flatlined. The LP of BTB on the other hand is not overly compressed. If over compression didn’t sound so bad :p it wouldn’t be an issue. Also, when scanning through CDs donated to thrift stores I find almost all CDs and Box sets that are like new appear on the dynamic range database as being aggressively compressed. Guess I’m not the only one who dumps those flatlined CDs.

Oh, there it is. The reference to the long debunked dynamic range database, the one where all those well known problems with vinyl artificially raises the measured dynamic range while providing no difference in sound.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Oh, there it is. The reference to the long debunked dynamic range database, the one where all those well known problems with vinyl artificially raises the measured dynamic range while providing no difference in sound.
Just say no. Step away from the keyboard with your hands where we can see them. :cool:

OP
A

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
ust say no. Step away from the keyboard with your hands where we can see them. :cool:
Well, it is not easy for an Irishman like me not to fight back . . . not as bad as I used to be when I was younger though . . .

David Harper

The compulsion to make a combative response is a difficult one to overcome. I've been struggling with it my whole life.

Top Bottom